johnnyc's MJ

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Damn! Looks good. Are you gonna spray the new panels primer for a temporary match?

Good question. :D

The fenders were professionally prepped and primered. So I'm not gonna do anything to those. The header panel was rattle-canned by me, as was the rest of the truck. So it's actually three different shades of gray right now.

If anything, I would sand down the cab, doors, and bed and rattle-can it again a lighter shade of gray. I know that's ghetto, but it would just be temporary, of course.

Before I can get it painted, a buddy is gonna do a little body work on the doors and bed. Then another friend is gonna paint it. It's just a matter of them trying to fit me into their busy schedules.

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY got the steel cowl induction hood on. The first one I got was damaged, so I had to wait for a second one.

The fit was perfect. The only issue is with the hood hitting the passenger side wiper when open. I wanted to retain my Redline Tuning hood struts. And when the hood is fully open, it hits the wiper.

In the picture, the wiper is off. But I have since put it back on. I'll just have to be careful when opening the hood.

So many different colors...

FINALLY got the steel cowl induction hood on. The first one I got was damaged, so I had to wait for a second one.

The fit was perfect. The only issue is with the hood hitting the passenger side wiper when open. I wanted to retain my Redline Tuning hood struts. And when the hood is fully open, it hits the wiper.

In the picture, the wiper is off. But I have since put it back on. I'll just have to be careful when opening the hood.

So many different colors...

Looks Good :clapping: . That is something they never mention - the PS wiper arm interference :fs1: . I have had my hood on for almost two years and now just put the wipers on. Freaked me out the first time it hit the wiper arm. Love the front bumper - keep up the progress!

• 2 months later...

Wow, two months since my last update. Been busy lately, but I've started up again. The paint job has been postponed for a while.

I just parted out my 98 XJ. I have my built axles, suspension, t-case, and wheels/tires ready to be swapped onto the MJ this coming weekend. I also have the engine, which will be swapped in a little later.

Then I'll have to order up a new rear driveshaft. And my buddy is going to make some custom rock rails and rear bumper.

Yesterday, we cut and folded the bed in preparation for the rear bumper. The bed is now even with the bottom of the tailgate. The new bumper will extend around to the sides.

I also ditched the cowl induction hood and put on the white hood from my XJ. The cowl hood just didn't thrill me. I think the lines look a lot cleaner with the flat factory hood.

I traded the hood to a buddy with an XJ in exchange for some parts and labor. I stilll like the flat hood. 8)

My other buddy actually did the cut and fold. It's much like doing it on an XJ. He made a single cut on the rounded corner. Then he used a hammer and dolly to fold it nicely. He didn't fold it all the way to the panel. He left a bit of an angle on it to make it a little more rigid.

Thanks.

Did the SOA swap in the back. My buddy gave me some new MORE perches and I had another buddy weld them on. In the front, I have 3.5" RE coils with ACOS set at about 1.5 inches. It's sitting a little low in the front, so I'll have to crank the ACOS up especially when I install the bumper and winch. Bilstein 5150s all around.

Tires are 305/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16x8 Allied beadlocks with 3.75" of BS.

I just got my new driveshaft from J.E. Reel. So that and my SYE-equipped 231 are going on tomorrow.

Rear shock mounts are also getting redone tomorrow and the custom rockrails are being test fitted. All welding and fab work are being done by the second buddy mentioned above at OTR Fabwerks.