johnnyc's MJ

looks awesome. i thought this wasnt going to be a wheeler :brows:

It's not. It's gonna be my mall crawler. ;)

Got my SYE'd 231 and J.E. Reel driveshaft swapped in today. Also put in my MORE motor mounts (totally shot) and a tranny mount.

Yesterday, I got my custom rails from OTR Fabwerks mounted on as well.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look's great!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to take a drive south so we can take some photos of the only two California ComancheClub Comanche's. jamminz.gif

Yeah Mike, come on down again. There are more than just us two in California. ;) Gogetemturbo is also in the OC and summerinmaine is in Del Mar, just to name two.

Thanks guys. I think it will be painted white. I'm a volunteer with the local Sheriffs Search and Rescue team. I'm hoping to be able to use the truck on some missions. And white seems to be the preferred color.

Gotta do a little bit of bodywork first. I also need to get the bed sprayed. I've been working on the mechanical stuff lately.

I'm getting the truck ready for a SoCal NAXJA event in Big Bear in a couple of weeks. That'll be a shakedown run before our Rubicon trip in June.

Please keep it stock and don't make me beg. :(

I think "stock" has pretty much been thrown out the window. :)

In the past few days -

Changed the gear oil in the D30 and added a SOLID diff cover

Changed the rear shocks for some longer ones

Snapped off an upper shock mount in the process

Ordered and received some frame spacers from C-Rok

Ordered a bed tool box

Installed a 97 center console (real cupholders :banana: )

Swapped out a bad distributor

To do list for this weekend -

Install C-Rok, winch bumper, and winch

Install longer front brake lines

Have friend re-do the spring perches to improve pinion angle and fix the shock mount

Install the tool box (hope it gets here by then)

Buy new CB antenna and install radio

Shakedown run is Saturday, May 2 in Big Bear. First big test is the Rubicon Trail June 18.

• 1 month later...

The "incident" was in June 2006. I did the trail again last year in the 2-door XJ with no problems whatsoever.

So I've done the trail in 2004, 2006, and 2008. Usually every two years. But this year, a different group of people wanted to go and asked me to put it together.

It'll be interesting to see how the MJ does. Curt is also going again in his beatup longbed MJ.

Curt has a perfectly good spare 89 shortbed MJ (with no engine) in his garage. Sometimes he talks about swapping everything over to the good truck. But then he figures he'll just drive the longbed until it is absolutely trashed. Most people would say that it is ALREADY trashed. :D But it keeps on ticking.

Curt has a perfectly good spare 89 shortbed MJ (with no engine) in his garage. Sometimes he talks about swapping everything over to the good truck. But then he figures he'll just drive the longbed until it is absolutely trashed. Most people would say that it is ALREADY trashed. :D But it keeps on ticking.

That thing used to be perfect. I was there when he crunched it up at Calico.

That was a sad day. :doh:

That thing used to be perfect. I was there when he crunched it up at Calico.

That was a sad day. :doh:

I watched in buckle the drivers door and bedside on LBJ in JV.

I was almost sick from it but Curt just shock it off.

Yeah, between the 'Con, Calico, and JV, Curt's MJ has taken a hammering. Rock rails would have prevented a lot of the damage. :ack:

To keep my build thread on track... I just picked up two perfect 2000 XJ doors, silver in color. The 97 doors I have on the MJ now are a little tweaked and would require some body work before painting. These new doors are ready to go. :banana:

But I'll wait until I get back from the Rubicon trip to put the new doors on. As a matter of fact, I should probably put my beat-up, dented tailgate back on just for this trip.

• 2 months later...
Got it lifted this weekend. There were a few minor issues which will be addressed this week. New rock rails and longer driveshaft are coming next.

There is the pics I need :wavey:

I need to get my rear trimmed like that ASAP before I head off to Sierra fest. :thumbsup:

I think he's talking about streetjeep2.5's Jeep.

Yeah, I figured that out afterwards. But why are they chitchatting in my thread?? Just joking, of course.

we be chitchatting on your thread cuz we like ya, man!

But, I intend to keep it stock. The only thing I might do is swap to a 4.0 w/cam and headers cuz it would be nice to have AC and PS, but don't want to tax the poor ole 4-banger by adding that stuff. I toyed with a SBchevy, but too much work. I would want a 5 speed. My grandkids love it being a standard trans. Since I HATE :mad: Cash for clunkers, , and we do need a newer car, I have told my wife I have toyed with the idea of using the 4.0 and other stuff from our Cherokee 4x2 (94 w/260,000) as the doner, that way something from the best auto we have EVER owned (bought it new) stays with us. I like the look of the cowl induction hood, but putting one on with a 2.5 seems like I am making it a no go show boat. Maybe if I 4.0 it. I have thought of Wheel Vintiques smoothie wheels painted body color w/trim rings and baby moons. Always liked that look (I'm a 1960's kid, ya know).

I'm a 60's kid too. :D

Thanks for bumping my thread. It's been a couple of months.

I've completed my York OBA system. Works great. Been wheeling it a lot lately. Sustained some damage to the bed, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Next up... I have a pair of brand new RE longarms that need to go on. I also have some perfect 2001 doors that will replace the 98 doors on there now. And of course, some bodywork and paint.

• 4 months later...

Hey, thanks guys for bumping me back from oblivion. :D

It's all pretty much one color now. The same shade of gray primer, that is. Just haven't had a chance to do any painting. Hopefully this spring.

I really haven't done much to the truck lately, except drive it every day.