johnnyc's MJ

Lately, my power windows have been acting up. One day, I had to drive 25 miles at 5 am with an open window because the window wouldn't go up. After I applied 12 volts directly to the regulator to close it, I hadn't been able to open it for a few days.

So I went to a couple of junkyards today. Found a couple of 97+ XJs with manual windows. Got the regulators and door panels and a couple of new 97+ front flares. I swapped out the driver's regulator, but it got dark. So I'll do the other side tomorrow.

It was nice having power windows for a while. But I only really did the swap because Trasborg wanted to do that article for JP Magazine. I didn't mind the manual windows.

At one yard, there were two MJs. One had a really nice shell on it, but alas, it was a longbed. An 86 XLS, to be exact. Both of the trucks had been picked over pretty good.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, I haven't added to my build thread in 16 months!!!

Well, not much has changed. The truck is still my daily driver. And it's still primer grey. My roommate is the foreman at a metal shop, so we've been working on a rear bumper whenever he has some spare time. The main part of the bumper is done. We're still going to add bracing and gusseting, some side rails to protect the bed, and some shackle mounts.

Back in December, I got a new set of BFG KM2s in the 285/75/16 size. They did very well snow wheeling this winter and also in the rocks and mud last month.

Also last month, we took out the load sensing valve and put in prop valve from a 4-disc ZJ. It's working well, but i haven't tried a panic stop yet. It's sure nice to have that eyesore out from under there though.

I installed a wireless winch control from Roadless Gear. It works, but it lacks precise control. So I'm going to get the in-cab control from Roadless Gear and install it in conjunction with the wireless one. The wireless control would be good for respooling the winch cable.

Guess that's it for the past year. Let's hope this next year is more productive. :)

• 1 year later...

Hey neighborino

Thanks for the comment

I'm in fountain valley and I seen a few other nice mjs round town. Theres a ton in apple valley to. I went up there a few months ago and ive never seen so many manches on the road

Ur truck looks awesome. Youve done pretty much everything id like to do to mine.

I like ur paint job as well

Wow, first it was 16 months between updates and now its been 14 months.

The truck is just about the same as it was last year. I put a new bed on after a couple of people ran into me. And earlier this year, I put an MJ specific Snug Top camper shell on and sprayed it primer gray to match.

I drive the truck every day, and it never lets me down. I just moved into a new place in Fullerton, where there is plenty of room to work on it. So hopefully now I can make some progress.

I knew I had a recent photo somewhere. It was on my phone.

Still undecided whether to keep the camper shell on or not. It's nice to have more secure and enclosed storage. But its a pain to get in and out of there. Plus, a couple people said it looks "tougher" without it

• 2 months later...

Well, I've decided to downsize. I don't want to beat this Jeep up like I did with my previous two. Plus, its my daily driver. So I'm going back to SUA and about three inches of lift.

I'm trading Dana 44s with a friend. He's taking my D44 with a 33-spline Detroit with 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and disc brakes. In return, I'm getting his D44 with an ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and disc brakes. I like the fact that the ARB is more street-friendly.

In the front, I'm buying a Dana 30 from another friend. It's got an ARB, 4.56 gears, and alloy shafts.

Today, I picked up five 16x7 Moab wheels for $150. BFG is sending me a set of 245/75/16 KM2s in exchange for services rendered.

I sold my Warn winch, along with my winch bumper. I'm collecting the parts for the 3-inch lift. Ditching the drop brackets.

Now that I'm foregoing rock crawling, I definitely want to get the truck finally painted. I had been putting it off because I didn't want to scratch up a fresh paint job.

Here's the look I'm going for. This is how my Jeep looked before I did the SOA lift.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Haven't done too much. Haven't decided whether to downsize the truck now or wait until after the NAXJA Fall Fling in Moab in October.

I recently got rid of the seven shades of gray primer. I was going to paint it white, but opted instead for white primer. Easier prep, easier touchup, and I like the flat finish. I will continue to do what little bodywork that's left and eventually get a real paint job. But this will do for now.

Just wheeled up in Big Bear and suffered a little damage on the bed corner below the left tail light.

• 7 months later...

Hey, thanks for asking earl*t. Not much has changed lately. I'm still planning to lower the truck, probably in February after KOH. I have all the parts sitting and ready to go.

I sustained some damage to the bed in Moab in October. Since bodywork is not my strong suit, I picked up a clean bed from MJRemi. Just needs a little prep work. Going to get the truck painted soon. I know I've said that before, but my tax refund check is slated for a paint job.

Wish I had a rollpan like yours, but I don't know anyone with such skills. :) I have a JCR DIY rear bumper in the shed waiting to be welded up.

I hope to have a more positive update in the next month or two.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to lowering the truck. Did the rear yesterday and the front today. And boy, is my old body hurting. Sucks getting old. :)

It's still not driveable yet. I have to adjust the front pinion angle, adjust the track bar, adjust the ACOS to bring the front up a bit, refill the rear axle, and install the driveshafts.

I also have to get some new front shocks. I only have about an inch before they bottom out. Anyway, here's a teaser pic.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it looks like I'm finally almost roadworthy. Just have to replace the rear pinion seal this week and I'll be rolling, albeit only in 2WD. Yet to come is regearing a D30 I have in the yard and my D44 to 4.10s. I did have to get my rear driveshaft shortened a bit. And I'd still like to get some Bilstein 5100s. And of course, paint.

The front looks a little funky since I had enlarged the fenders and raised the flares up a bit. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for some uncut fenders.

Hey Johnnyc! 

How much did you cut your front fenders? And also, what length of 5100s were you looking at? I have a set, currently in my Jeep. "Stock replacement" 10" travel, so for approx 3-4" of lift I think. I have some other shocks that I am planning on putting in. 

You can see in my pictures that the top of the flares is at the body line. So a couple of inches, maybe. You can look at them next weekend in Big Bear.

What is the distance in the rear between the upper and lower shock mounts? Let me know how old they are and how much you want for them.

Rear shocks I have no idea. Mine are fronts, that is what your post showed anyways. Few years old at most. I actually bought the shocks from Dan when he went to coilovers been running them on my XJ ever since. Mostly on-road, some dunes, Big bear, Hollister and Moab. Boots were torn when I got them. Never seen an issue with that.  

You can see in my pictures that the top of the flares is at the body line. So a couple of inches, maybe. You can look at them next weekend in Big Bear.

What is the distance in the rear between the upper and lower shock mounts? Let me know how old they are and how much you want for them.

Got everything buttoned up and drove it around. Everything seems to be good. I was wondering why the ride was a little stiff. Checked the tire pressure and all four tires were at 70 psi! Put them back to 35 psi and it rides very smoothly now. Stopped by the nearby Comanche produce market to take this pic.