86-92 Jeep MJ Reproduction Tail Light Housings

They are finally here!!  I will be doing this a little different due to the long production times and material shortages I have been running into lately.  These will now be available in batches on eBay.  CC members message me to be put in line for the next batch, CC members get priority.

This is a 3D printed set of replacement tail light housings for the Jeep MJ Comanche tail lights.  This is only the housings, lenses are not included.  These housings accept both the factory MJ lenses as well as the Keyparts aftermarket ones.  This comes as a set of both driver and passenger side and will include new spring clips and screws for mounting on the truck as well as the internal reflectors on the housing.   

PXL_20220518_124922426.jpg.1815c2b003bed8b03a23207531ab47f2.jpg

It is recommended to use LED lights with these just to be safe.  I did thermal testing with the standard incandescent bulbs and you can use them but I don't recommend it, nor am I responsible for anything if you choose to use them.  The testing showed that with the tail lights on, it gets up to around 80*F and stays there, which is well within the safe temperature zone of this plastic.  When using the brakes the temperature comes up considerably.  Under normal use this is not an issue as the brakes are only on for a few minutes at most and only get up to around 130-140*F in that time. 

The problem would come in if your brake light switch on your pedal comes out of adjustment (as it has many times on these trucks) and the brakes stay on for prolonged periods it could cause damage.  In my testing with the brakes held on it took over 1 hour for the temperature in the housings to reach 185*F and it stayed there.  I held the brakes on (using a piece of wood wedged against the seat) for nearly 3 hours and the temp stayed around 185*F, I didn't observe damage to the housings after this test but I can't say it won't happen due to the temp being so close to the temperature that this plastic starts to get soft and so many variables that can be at play.  I don't offer any sort of warranty on these so I recommend to play it safe and go LEDs.

I know some will read the section above and ask why not use ABS for its higher temperature resistance, the reasoning behind that is the higher difficulty in consistency with printing means more bad parts and higher pricing to compensate for loses, as well as the the MUCH better characteristics of PETG for outdoor use.  If you have further questions or would like some more clarity on anything please send me a message.

Installation:

- Dry fit your lenses so you can see how they are going to fit and lineup before gluing.  The lenses will flex slightly to fit tightly around the housings.  Have some clamps ready to hold the lenses in place (be careful when clamping to avoid damage, it doesn't take much force to hold them in place.

- Glue and clamp the lenses to the housings.

- Install the new spring clips onto the truck bed, removing the old ones if necessary.

- Install your new lights as usual when the glue has cured.

There are two options available:

- Original MJ bulb sockets

- 1157/1156 bulb sockets (bulb sockets sold separately)

By default you will get the original version unless you specifically ask for the 1157/1156 version.  The 1157/1156 bulb sockets are a slightly better design than the original MJ ones.  If you order the 1157/1156 version will have to replace your original MJ bulb sockets with 1157 for the brake and tail lights, and 1156 for the reverse light.

Send me a message to place an order.  These ship FREE in the US, International shipping is available.

Cost for CC members is $190 per set.

Visit zimmdakindustries.com to see all products offered!

***DISCLAIMER***

- FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY.   Each state and country has its own laws regarding lights so it's your responsibility to decide what you can and cannot do.

- These are printed in black PETG plastic.  This plastic can start to get soft at temperatures of 190*F.  Even in extreme environments this shouldn't be an issue.  PETG parts have been used on vehicles for long periods of time without Ill effects.  

- This is a 3D printed part, this means not all parts will appear or fit exactly the same.  It is set to print as fast as possible due to the long print times and I'm trying to keep prices low, this results in a slightly lower resolution print however I will never send a part out that doesn't look good or function properly.  I do not accept returns due to it being made to order, however If you have an issue with your part, please contact me and we can work out the issue together.  

- If you break it due to not following instructions, over-tightening screws, or through use, you can fix it with some super glue or you can message me to purchase a replacement part.  

- This is a made to order part and takes multiple days to print and build.  I ship as soon as possible but due to the long production time, please allow time for me to process and ship. 

PXL_20220518_124956469.jpg

PXL_20220518_125002515.jpg

PXL_20220518_125005353.jpg

PXL_20220518_125013599.jpg

PXL_20220518_124932210.jpg

PXL_20220518_124935827.jpg

PXL_20220518_125045980.jpg

6 hours ago, billyblankss said:

Any chance I could just pay you a small fee and get the stl?

Sorry, I don't offer the files for any of the models I have made.  The additional pieces you need aren't available in small quantities either so you wouldn't be able to complete them cost effectively.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SoCalJeepComanche said:

Have you thought of making any with improved/larger LED lights instead of the standard bulb sockets?

There are definitely plans to make at least one other version to accept more modern sockets.  As time goes on I may introduce more versions.

5 hours ago, Dzimm said:

There are definitely plans to make at least one other version to accept more modern sockets.  As time goes on I may introduce more versions.

Let me know when you have the version with different sockets. That’s what I’ve been waiting for

• 3 weeks later...