Very rough idle and fuel leak on rail

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prob not the issue and just throwing it out there but check the fuel pump ballast resistor also. Could cause it not to start or quit running if the connections are loose or bad altogether. Little ceramic piece with two connectors on the drivers side inner fender. 

There’s enough fuel in the tank and it has pressure weather the injectors are firing idk. There’s not spark when I take a plug out and crank it over (dunno if that’s the correct way) and I can't find an actual like ceramic piece like I looked up it looks like this 

image.jpg

87s did not come from the factory with a ballast resistor.  There was a TSB to address the loud fuel pump with a dealer installed BR.

My 87 doesn't have a BR.  I have a parts 87 XJ that has the BR installed.

6 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Make sure you spark plug is grounded or it can't spark.

If you REALLY want to know if its sparking or not, put your finger near the electrode and have a buddy turn the key while you hold the plug. You should feel a possible range of "Felt Nothing" to "Blacked Out and Pissed My Pants". So not only will you know for sure if there is spark or not, you will also know how strong of a spark you are getting.

so I took a plug out and it shocked the bezzesus out of me and almost started but it was missing for obvious reaosns but half started I put it back in and it didnt want to start again. Could have to do with the anti sieze on the plugs? ive heard thats fine could be wrong. Took plug 3 out for reference

1 hour ago, watchamakalit said:

Lmao. Thats why you need to be careful taking internet advice.

Better check all the plugs as mentioned.

Ps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HU2L1NU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4VGXHDBW5400EJXEHKM4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That tool is for rich folks. Nothing better then a finger to give you that reliable hands on test. :teehee:

28 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

That tool is for rich folks. Nothing better then a finger to give you that reliable hands on test. :teehee:

Never had much experience with a GM hei setup have you?  I'm a firm believer thats one of the strongest "spark checks" I ever experienced.

So first no spark second spark and it ran fourth no spark fifth no spark and I couldn’t get to my sixth one and that was just more than I wanted to do because I don’t have my 3/8s at the moment 

51 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

P...Please tell me you aren't actually taking them out and holding each of them to check for spark. I just . . . no words . . . 

At least tell me you recorded the event? Link me the video if it exists. Then please buy the inline spark checker.

No I was good thing only #2 sparked I guess