diesel oil in 4.0?

diesel oil in 4.0 ?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. 15w40 extra heavy duty oil in my 4.0L now what?.

• run it
    • change it now
    • change it after some road time

Diesel oil is good for an old 4.0.  I run 15W40 Rotella in my XJ with 180k miles on it.  My MJ has over 200k and will run it when it's running again.

I might step down to 10w30 when I rebuild the engine and it's "new" again.  But probably still diesel oil.

9 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

15W40 Rotella T6 is all I use. And I mean across the tractor, my wife's car, my truck, the pulling truck, that other jeep, that other other jeep, .... you get the idea. Also Wix or Wix XP filters.  Is there an emoji of a jeeper just handing bags of money to a parts store? I need that one.

Same here!! Lawnmower, go cart and quad also.

I keep one oil filter for all 4 cars. Wix 1085. fits GC, MJ, and 2 Alfa Romeos. 

Diesel oil in everything here too. Two generators, lawn mower, John Deere tractor, and two Jeeps.  I use 5w40 full synthetic Delo for cold starts in the winter here at 6000' 

15w40 Delo in the Powerstroke, it uses 14 quarts.

39 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Is that stuff synthetic or dino juice?

Pretty sure it's dino, I checked it out after Cruiser posted it, the Traveller label does have synthetic in a gray label jug. On the Petroleum Quality Institute website it showed the 15w/40 dino has good zinc levels. About 10% less zinc than Rotella T6, but at $1.80/qt even being dino oil that's crazy cheap. 

I did hours of research when I rebuilt my Corvette engine trying to find out the best oil for the 350 and ended up settling on Amsoil Z-Rod 10w30.  A lot of people run Rotella in those, but there was a lot of empirical evidence to suggest that they had inferior wear properties compared to specifically-formulated gasoline oil for flat-tapped engines.  The prevailing theory, I believe, was the vastly increased amount of detergents in Rotella compete with the ZDDP and reduce its effectiveness. a lot of people were also saying that Rotella's ZDDP levels have been reduced over time, but I do not think there is any evidence to suggest this. 

Regardless, both my Corvette and my Cherokee (and soon my Comanche) run Amsoil Z-Rod to great effect.  When I'm feeling poor, I use Lucas Hot Rod and Classic 10w30, which is available from Amazon with Prime shipping for way cheaper.

There was a comparison by Blackstone Lab on their analysis. There were a lot of premium oils. They compared with three engines. One was a Subaru, one was the Corvette and I forget the other. Amsoil was one of the top oils. Rotella T6 was the other. Except it was not listed on the Corvettes. For some reason the Subbies will use Rotella out of warranty. Better to replace the cats vs the engine? Anyways, look for an oil with roughly 1000 ppm of zinc (ZDPP).