Good looking 85 2 door XJ

Neat early XJ with 47k on it, according to the ad. It’s not cheap, but I don’t know if I’d call it overpriced. And it’s a 4 banger with an auto. Hey @eaglescout526, check out the interior. Perfection in my opinion. 

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1985-amc-jeep-cherokee-pioneer/7237944087.html

83A92DE3-CBDD-43DC-849F-C666DB422DF9.jpeg.0ef1f735388dab81a46df679141d126b.jpeg5BC4625E-F680-4414-8156-EEF6A11AACDF.jpeg.b0de38c4102fb84b3c6a99ecef218574.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Minuit said:

Drivetrain aside, that thing is sexy as it gets.

A vehicle in a craigslist ad with a DECLARED R-134A conversion!?!?! With a conversion date on it!?!?! I might just faint!

Is there anything wrong with it? I was hoping you would pull some of us out of our trance with issues with it. 

Observations-

Beautiful survivor

Interesting that it has Selectrac emblems on the rear quarters instead of "Four Wheel Drive" which is usually seen, before they transitioned to the standard "4x4" emblems.  But I'm sure it's correct as you can see the switch built into the shifter console for the original Selectrac setup, and you can barely see the "Hi-n-Lo" transfer case shifter indicator.  I think that makes this very original survivor even more rare because of the drivetrain.  I mean consider - 2door, rarer than 4door.  4cyl, rarer than 6.  Selectrac, less prevalent than command trac.  And it has a hitch on it (original??)(wonder if it has original trailer wiring?).  I'd like to see a picture of the rear axle.  No pictures of the undercarriage, which seems like an oversight in a cream puff like this, at this price point.  Also curious what the axle gearing is.

No mention of the headliner being replaced.  I find it unlikely the original has survived this long.  But the seller has been upfront about other changes, so perhaps it was replaced earlier, simply overlooked mentioning it, or it is original.  I applaud the switch to fixed vent windows, alleviates potential leak issues (although I generally love wing windows, they aren't the best on the early XJ/MJ platform).

If I had to nitpick, REALLY reaching here- the negative battery cable has one of the bolt on terminals (CRAP), should be replaced with an original cable.  Underhood light is missing the bulb, may have been removed on purpose for photo.  Air cleaner wing nut may be replaced with a regular hex nut, photo res isn't good enough to tell.

I believe Jeeps are made to be driven, I could never own one like this. Hope someone buys it that can give it a good home in a climate controlled indoor storage.  It belongs in a museum.

EDIT- PS am I the only one who saves all the pictures from ads like this?

Cool that its got a dash clock.  Dig those classy AMC seat fabrics--I owned a 81 Concord a few years ago and loved the looks of the AMC interiors.  

Uh-oh.  Got a running light out in the rear...major deal breaker for me.  Part that thing out.  

35 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Dig those classy AMC seat fabrics--I owned a 81 Concord a few years ago and loved the looks of the AMC interiors.  

Me too. Prior to the MJ I had an 86 AMC Eagle. Great car.

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well I could be wrong but it seems odd to me for an auto trans to not have a full tach cluster. Usually autos are associated with having a tach unless special ordered but you could have a 3/4 with an auto. 

That's interesting. I would have guessed that more full clusters would have been in manual rigs because the tach doesn't matter as much in an auto, but it also makes sense because, in my experience, autos usually have more/better options.

Well I only say such because a lot of 90’s cars that I have seen have tachs for the auto and nothing for a manual. My moms 96 civic is like this, no tach and it’s a stick. My girlfriend had a 01 civic and it was an auto with a tach. I’ve always understood it as manuals didn’t need a tach as you would know when to shift. To me it’s just cool to have a tach with a manual. 

Well I could be wrong but it seems odd to me for an auto trans to not have a full tach cluster. Usually autos are associated with having a tach unless special ordered but you could have a 3/4 with an auto. 

That may be because after the 70s most dealers sold manual transmission cars as base models, they were rarely well well optioned and meant to be affordable.
So it being Automatic alone would make it less of base model and more likely to have options.
That's how I've always saw it.

Founding Member of the Comanche Preservation Society

4 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

My truck had a 4.0L, automatic trans and A/C as its only options. Not even oil pressure or temp gauges.