Good looking 85 2 door XJ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, eaglescout526 said:

Doesn’t have a full cluster even though it’s an auto is weird to me. 

On 12/3/2020 at 12:00 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Well I could be wrong but it seems odd to me for an auto trans to not have a full tach cluster. Usually autos are associated with having a tach unless special ordered but you could have a 3/4 with an auto. 

I assumed this was rather common since my Renix 89 4.0 Auto with A/C has no tach/full cluster: 

dash.jpg.0799ed0e26e26b7b573aef9f66547d27.jpg 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:49 AM, eaglescout526 said:

Alright I think it’s safe to say tachs were still a luxury in the 80’s. I forgot about column shift guys. 

when my engine blows up in another 100,000 I'm gonna swap my cluster for something with a tach and oil gauge and what not when I swap the engine

Just now, Jesse J said:

when my engine blows up in another 100,000 I'm gonna swap my cluster for something with a tach and oil gauge and what not when I swap the engine

Why not swap it now? It’s all plug and play literally. The blue full clusters are hard to find in the 87-90 config but easier for 84-86. The red ones for 87-90 are easier to be hard and are abundant. 

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Why not swap it now? It’s all plug and play literally. The blue full clusters are hard to find in the 87-90 config but easier for 84-86. The red ones for 87-90 are easier to be hard and are abundant. 

are they manual or from the ECU? 

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

They are all manual and dependent on the sensors in the engine bay. There’s a write up somewhere on it. Only the later 91-96 clusters depend on the ECU. I could be wrong on this but I am not an HO expert. 

ok I'll look into it. it would be really nice to have its so weird only having such a large gas gauge. edit: also I was planning on swapping for maybe a tj 4.0 i6 with an ax15 so just getting rid of renix and getting an obd thingy

Just now, Jesse J said:

ok I'll look into it. it would be really nice to have its so weird only having such a large gas gauge.

It’s only weird because we’re young and used to seeing a million gauges and lights in a modern car. It was weird to me the first few weeks with my truck till I got used to it. Kinda fun watching the needle bounce as you took turns and bumps. But then I found a 5/6 cluster that still had the large gas gauge and then the full blue cluster. There’s something about that gas gauge that like to hang up at 3/4 and then start reading. Not sure what. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

It’s only weird because we’re young and used to seeing a million gauges and lights in a modern car. It was weird to me the first few weeks with my truck till I got used to it. Kinda fun watching the needle bounce as you took turns and bumps. But then I found a 5/6 cluster that still had the large gas gauge and then the full blue cluster. There’s something about that gas gauge that like to hang up at 3/4 and then start reading. Not sure what. 

that makes sense. I kinda like it because its kinda "retro" I wonder if there is a way to keep the big gas gauge but put a tach in one of the smaller gauge areas

1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

huh ok. what are senders?

also is this the write up yall are talking about?

Yes. That’s it, it’ll tell you what you need to know. If your gauge cluster has lights, it has senders for both oil and temp. The senders are based on Ohm resistance and they start to illuminate the lamps when they reach a certain Ohm. Same goes for the sensors but they send a constant signal to the gauge to read right. It’s fun simple stuff. 

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Yes. That’s it, it’ll tell you what you need to know. If your gauge cluster has lights, it has senders for both oil and temp. The senders are based on Ohm resistance and they start to illuminate the lamps when they reach a certain Ohm. Same goes for the sensors but they send a constant signal to the gauge to read right. It’s fun simple stuff. 

sweet well thats goood news I have lights ( they are on thats how I know lol) so pretty simple kewl beenz

The "idiot light" senders are really an Off/On type sender.  When they reach a set temperature or pressure, the contact is made and the light comes on.  They're really "all or nothing" senders.  That's why they don't work with the gauges.

The gauge senders vary resistance so that the gauge needle moves.