Reproduction Sportbars-feelers for sale

89 MJ

I have a shop local to me that has told me before that they could bend up a rollbar for my MJ. I have decided that I want a rollbar and will probably make it happen. Mind you, I will likely only be buying one if it is priced close to or less than an OEM one.

That said, who here would be interested in one (could sell a weld yourself kit where you weld the kickers to the main hoop to save on shipping costs) and at what price point would you be interested in buying one?

I would venture to guess that I could probably get some bent up for much less than an OEM rollbar costs.

So far, I have potential interest in 6 LWB rollbars and 8 SWB rollbars (including mine)

My goal with these is to have them so they are identical to an OEM rollbar, I don't want them to look like an aftermarket one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

This would be awesome. But I don't see it happening for less than an oem one. Not under $500. Not under $700. Maybe $1000 for an exact copy, maybe. But I'm doubtful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree that it would be awesome. 

With this shop, they also build custom reproduction frames for 35-40 Fords. They will put in a custom in-house fabricated Mustang II front suspension. The complete frame with Mustang II front suspension was somewhere was around $2,000-$3,000 when my dad build a 40 Ford a couple of years ago. We are also friends with the owner, so I hope we could get a good deal on them.

Then more people would need brackets too. :brows:

think most of your cost is going to be r&d messing up tubes and what not. once you have the plan figured out you just bend a bunch of tubes and sell them for profit. I think a DIY kit would be the way to go. 

also you can put me down for a lwb :thanks:

I agree that it would be awesome. 
With this shop, they also build custom reproduction frames for 35-40 Fords. They will put in a custom in-house fabricated Mustang II front suspension. The complete frame with Mustang II front suspension was somewhere was around $2,000-$3,000 when my dad build a 40 Ford a couple of years ago. We are also friends with the owner, so I hope we could get a good deal on them.
Then more people would need brackets too. :brows:
Ok, that makes it more plausible. Thought it was just a shop that could "bend tubing" that had no idea what they were getting in to lol.

41 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

for a diy or assembled. also including shipping? 

I drive to northern WI every year for Christmas, so in my case, I'd just pick it up. I'd think shipping an assembled bar would be a bit pricy. Of course I'd LOVE to have one assembled, AND including mounting plates/hardware for the $500, but...

A DIY kit sounds like a better option in the long run. 

4 hours ago, Jesse J said:

think most of your cost is going to be r&d messing up tubes and what not. once you have the plan figured out you just bend a bunch of tubes and sell them for profit. I think a DIY kit would be the way to go. 

also you can put me down for a lwb :thanks:

Already had you down. I agree with the DIY kits. 

3 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

Ok, that makes it more plausible. Thought it was just a shop that could "bend tubing" that had no idea what they were getting in to lol.

Yeah, these are some great guys too. The owner used to race in NASCAR in the 60s. 

1 hour ago, mjben said:

I'd be willing to spend ~$500 on a LWB one...

That’s around the price point that I am hoping to get them for. Less would be great though. 

8 minutes ago, mjben said:

I drive to northern WI every year for Christmas, so in my case, I'd just pick it up. I'd think shipping an assembled bar would be a bit pricy. Of course I'd LOVE to have one assembled, AND including mounting plates/hardware for the $500, but...

A DIY kit sounds like a better option in the long run. 

I agree with the shipping aspect, and I’m sure a disassembled bar would be much easier. 

5 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Yes, you can kind of see the location here. The plates have a radius to follow the wheel well arch.

RollBar.jpg.d95ba2e2563e5a37dc628ca03acd4fce.jpg.f62b9ff6e0e564929ea54d0da82778d4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

very cool. Is that yours bc if it is you should measure it up and give it to 89:L:

:yeahthat:

Before you get too far into this, I’m going to point out that Jeep called them Sportbars for a reason. They won’t do anything for you in the event of a rollover, unless you’re planning on making them out of much thicker tube than the factory used, and even then it’s pretty questionable. Most of us know this, but still. CYOA.

35 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Before you get too far into this, I’m going to point out that Jeep called them Sportbars for a reason. They won’t do anything for you in the event of a rollover, unless you’re planning on making them out of much thicker tube than the factory used, and even then it’s pretty questionable. Most of us know this, but still. CYOA.

I just like them for the cosmetic look. I call them both, I just normally type rollbar. 

37 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I just like them for the cosmetic look. I call them both, I just normally type rollbar. 

I’m just saying that for liability reasons if it’s not actually a rollover protection structure, you probably shouldn’t be calling it a rollbar. But like, your call I guess.

9 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

I’m just saying that for liability reasons if it’s not actually a rollover protection structure, you probably shouldn’t be calling it a rollbar. But like, your call I guess.

Gotcha. 

• 89 MJ changed the title to Reproduction Sportbars-feelers for sale