Jesse builds a truck

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well I bout a parts cherokee today. 92 laredo with the best interior I have ever seen in my entire life. A kid from my highschool has a badass early body xj that wants all of the interior pieces carpet and seats for 325 witch I think is low especially of how nice it is right? And the three big things on this car is ax15 (swap coming soon how you like me now @MiNi Beast?) Ac (it is r12 so I need to swap) and full cluster whitch will be really nice. I am pretty excited anybody have a recomended ax15 rebuild kit? sorry for the bad pictures it was 99 today so the lighting is really harsh

IMG-1689.JPG

IMG-1686.JPG

IMG-1687.JPG

IMG-1685.JPG

IMG-1683.JPG

I hate to rain on your parade, but the HO cluster is not a plug and play swap in a Renix truck. 
Bout time you got an AX-15. How many miles does it have? Does the AX-15 go into all of the gears right and work well?

19 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I hate to rain on your parade, but the HO cluster is not a plug and play swap in a Renix truck. 
Bout time you got an AX-15. How many miles does it have? Does the AX-15 go into all of the gears right and work well?

oh yeah thats a good point oh poop

its in ok condition 245,000 miles it goes into all gears well a little crunch into reverse and first sometimes didnt want to go in 

8 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I’d say run it how it is for a while then. Learn how to drive it now, that way you don’t accidentally wreck a new transmission. 

that's probably smart

6 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Awesomeness. Thats a good deal you got yourself there. You could swap it all over to h.o. and then the cluster will work. :shhh:. Need that shop done so you have working space. :popcorn:

I have been debating swaping everything to ho Idk how difficult that is I hope it's not to bad. I really do need to get the shop done before I can really start working.

oh did I mention I only snagged it for $1000

anyone know what a good price would be for seats, interior plastics and carpet?

Just now, 89 MJ said:

Oooooo, tilt column. Make sure you hang on to that one. 
You’re not going to really get any advantage by swapping to the OBD1 HO. Just get an REM. 

yes I need that column because I have a column shift right now I will just hit it with some spray paint. also the nice thing about swapping the HO stuff in is it already has a manual computer in it and the ac and I can see a lot of advantages going to HO. 

AC has nothing to do with the computer. 

Check out Section 3, Step 6. It sounds fairly straight forward to keep the automatic computer. 

The other thing to remember, and I often forgot this, is that you are a kid. You don’t have money and you don’t have a ton of time. If you want to get the truck to Moab for the MJ takeover in September, I think you should come up with a list of important things that need to get done first. 
My list for that would look like this:

1. Make it reliable

2. Winch and bumpers 

3. Gears and lockers

4. Lift (AX-15 swap here. Only get driveshafts made once)

5. Wheels and tires

6. Body armor

7. Make the interior more pleasant

8. Make the truck pretty 

Now if the stock Renix harness has some Cleetus and Bubba cousin-brother hacking into it and your HO harness is good, that would be the only reason I’d swap it. 

18 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

if you get everything you could.  keep in mind you'll need the entire heater box too

so if I take every single part of it's plug and play? is there a write up somewhere that I missed in my research?

I don't know of a write up just on an AC swap.  I am sure someone here has an epic build of some sort where they put it into a non AC truck.  From what I know it should be a plug and play swap, IF you have all the components. However I don't have any first hand experience that says for sure.  Might help to start a tech thread on it.  Seems like things get more views there.

• 4 weeks later...

got the trans and tcase with accommodating mounts pulled out of the xj last weekend and finally got around to cleaning them. and it came with an OEM tcase skid!! still havent gotten the front shaft off the case

IMG-2100.JPG

IMG-2095.JPG