Jesse builds a truck

• Jesse J changed the title to Jesse builds a truck
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure if I have said this in your thread yet or not. I'm not trying to talk you out of putting a visor on it at all. They give these trucks a pretty cool look for sure. There are some things to worry about though. 

1. Visibility-you won't be able to see things above you as easily (stoplights or other things of the sort)

2. Leaks-if you do it right, it won't leak at all, but you will need to make sure you put sealer where you screw into the  body. If it leaks, your floors and possible roof will rust out.

3. What if you decide to remove it down the road? The only way to fix the holes correctly would be to weld them shut. Then you will need to paint at least the roof again.

Not related to the visor at all, but some paint work to think about.

Does every panel need to be painted? If you plan on doing the whole truck the original color, maybe you could get by with just panel painting it, just get color samples and pick one that matches.

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I'm not sure if I have said this in your thread yet or not. I'm not trying to talk you out of putting a visor on it at all. They give these trucks a pretty cool look for sure. There are some things to worry about though. 

1. Visibility-you won't be able to see things above you as easily (stoplights or other things of the sort)

2. Leaks-if you do it right, it won't leak at all, but you will need to make sure you put sealer where you screw into the  body. If it leaks, your floors and possible roof will rust out.

3. What if you decide to remove it down the road? The only way to fix the holes correctly would be to weld them shut. Then you will need to paint at least the roof again.

Not related to the visor at all, but some paint work to think about.

Does every panel need to be painted? If you plan on doing the whole truck the original color, maybe you could get by with just panel painting it, just get color samples and pick one that matches.

I really want a visor I think it will be the right thing on my build. I will deal with the consequences.

I am going to paint sand py7 on my truck (not original). It's kinda like my original job but not so "dainty" and yes every panel if I was repainting would need to be painted execpt for the doors maybe. It's not gonna be a show truck and it's gonna get scuffed and messed up.

well I mocked up how its going to look with the non cracked 10 slot and new headlight housings that where really crappy chrome but I scuffed it off and rattle canned it. turned out good. I need to get new screws for them though because they all the heads snapped off. and my drivers side running light is so cracked I need to find a new one. and the running light on the passengers doesn't work. this thing is gonna look so cool once I replace the chrome bits around it. @89 MJ:brows:

IMG-0746.JPG

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

Its looking good!

yeah it is. suprised how well the rattle can came out. I am planning to repaint most everything that is black when I paint my truck anyways so I am not to worried. way better than what was on there at any rate.

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Save that front license plate mount. Those aren’t made anymore and all we can get is the cheap Mopar plastic ones. 

hopefully. it was right where the front bumper is damaged I think it might be salvageable

9 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

yeah it is. suprised how well the rattle can came out. I am planning to repaint most everything that is black when I paint my truck anyways so I am not to worried. way better than what was on there at any rate.

The grill and headlight bezels on my truck are rattle can too, and they still look fine (paint is over a year old and sits outside spring-fall)

Just now, 89 MJ said:

The grill and headlight bezels on my truck are rattle can too, and they still look fine (paint is over a year old and sits outside spring-fall)

yeah I would be more worried about color matching thats why I would repaint

1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

yeah I would be more worried about color matching thats why I would repaint

As long as it is gloss black, it will usually look the same. Make sure though when redoing everything that you try to get paint from the same batch. Sometimes different batches can have a different sheen.

Just now, 89 MJ said:

As long as it is gloss black, it will usually look the same. Make sure though when redoing everything that you try to get paint from the same batch. Sometimes different batches can have a different sheen.

my trucks gonna be all matte. so yk

well fabric came yesterday so I spent 9 hours today sewing the back. need to make a trip to the fabric store before I can get the bottom done and I can finish my headliner. pretty happy with 95% of it. dunno why one of the pictures is blue it was like that in my phone as well.

IMG-0782.JPG

IMG-0780.JPG

IMG-0779.JPG

IMG-0781.JPG

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Cost to probably put those in, plus you could get map pockets in the door. 

that's a good point. I want my big utah map though. and it was like 20 minutes extra work to make. I think I will use it. they have a tiny little glove compartment anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

that's a good point. I want my big utah map though. and it was like 20 minutes extra work to make. I think I will use it. they have a tiny little glove compartment anyway. 

Actually I like the idea, It is pretty smart and better than relying on say 30 year old door card to hold the map pocket in place if you were to carry a FSM of Chiltons manual around. That being said, the fabric also has to be up to the challenge. 

Quick question, did you consider going with the original carpet like back when you made that?