Jesse builds a truck

well I bought an 87' metric ton mj. 4 liter i6 312k miles and the 4 speed auto(might swap for a stick later). Literally no rust. It has a tiny bit of surface rust on the tailgate and the hood. I got it for 2k it needs a lot of work such as a new bench seat, figuring out why the taillights and tail turn signals don't work (fuse?) I need to give it a good cleaning. I need to name it to I'm getting some like rough and tough girl vibes from it(if anyone has any suggestions lemme know) it also needs a new grill( the dude I bought it from gave a mint one to me)

IMG-0342.JPG

IMG-0336.JPG

IMG-0334.JPG

IMG-0338.JPG

IMG-0346.JPG

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, omega_rugal said:

wait... metric ton?????

cf14414cc8ce8a5e691b2a77dc4e3918.jpg.7c71e431a5fe26a457fc78359fb033ac.jpg

what????

2 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

It looks like a fairly well optioned truck, based off of what I am seeing. Chrome bumpers, sliding rear window, and bed light.

it doesnt slide. it looks like it it just is really stuck maybe. also idk if that bed light works. and only the rear bumper is chrome the front is black and dented.

You can replace the front with a chrome one, I would spend some time with the rear bumper and some heat and straighten that rare puppy out. 

Also Metric tons, including their nameplates, are not something we see a lot on here. Especially with a D44 and 5 pack leafs. 

I will be following this build.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

You can replace the front with a chrome one, I would spend some time with the rear bumper and some heat and straighten that rare puppy out. 

Also Metric tons, including their nameplates, are not something we see a lot on here. Especially with a D44 and 5 pack leafs. 

I will be following this build.

oh cool thanks for your intrest. I think I'm gonna replace both bumpers and fab some cool looking steel ones. ' planning to make this a wheeler not a crawler but offroad capable. unless that's sac religious for a metric ton?

ok that makes sense. I'm not gonna tear it to shreds and I'm gonna restore the insides maybe paint it but keep it pretty stock kinda.I'm gonna post tonight about alll the issues once i take a good long look at it after i get out of school

• Jesse J changed the title to 87' Metric Ton build.

So I finally think I have the plan. get all the interior and windows, wiring etc, nice and functional. I think reupholster the bench seat. then SOA and 4.5 coils. re gear to 4.10 and put 33s on it (the gladiator wheels are gonna go). Make bumpers and a roll bar and rockers. Also I've named her Audrey

• Jesse J changed the title to Audrey the 87' metric ton

stripped the interior today. 

the headliner is very bad there was definitely was a mouse living up there once.

and the b pillar trim has 2 holes because that ahole who put the stereo in it was so stupid.

but on the plus side I found my new favorite pic of my truck

IMG-0443.JPG

IMG-0430.JPG

IMG-0429.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Jesse J said:

it just be like that some times. it makes me really sad to tell the truth

Trust me, it’ll be worth it when you are done. I’ve had my truck farther apart and don’t regret it. 

Just now, 89 MJ said:

If it wasn’t worth it, I wouldn’t have 2 more MJ builds that I want to do. :wink:

this is true. 

In other news I ordered some headliner and vinyl samples from SMS auto fabrics so those are on their way. I'm making a custom headliner like mnkeyboy's except its gonna say comanche on it.  I saw a video on bleepin jeeps yt about adding wj lumbar support to an xj seat and I'm gonna try to find a wj seat and see if i can add it into a bench seat with some welding and while I'm at it at some headrests (to increase my likely hood of not dying if I crash) while I'm reupholstering my seat . I've been pretty swamped with stuff in my life so I haven't been doing a whole lot. It is what it is though. 

• Jesse J changed the title to Jesse builds a truck