Mini consol cup holder CAD design

So a while back i had this idea for mini console swaps to add cupholders to the open space they have.

My brother has a 3D printer and I finally got my hands on a mini console that had the shifter plate so i took measurements with a micrometer and took to CAD modeling!

received_396614164637332.jpeg.6f86493966bb62b2a3dc849b6cc61b27.jpeg

Even as a delete panel its not bad. This was trial print 1 without cup holders just to see if demensions were right. And they mostly were. Tabs were placed wrong and weak.

Went back did more adjustments, redid the tabs and added the cup holders!

...and tried to add "comanche" but i was tired and accidentally did "comane" instead... hahah :doh:

received_301038284281209.jpeg.b397b7b14d3081b19fd8bbde636905b5.jpeg

All in all took me about a week, designing, trial printing, tweaking and this is the results!

received_602632447344633.jpeg.b6e76523dbf089fc63716f6f06dfd10f.jpeg

received_287247835668590.jpeg.c5b5cc8212f1cfe7b4684106614950e4.jpeg

Was a lot of fun but still needs some tweaks. i had to do small amounts of trimming to the edges of the console but nothing that ruins the look.

And since i have multiple templates saved from going step by step i can add or change other designs too!

Single cup holder with pocket, just pocket, or even delete panel!

20 minutes ago, billyblankss said:

I'm intrigued but confused. I have mini console... But it has a shifter in it that I use for driving. Is the use case here for people that have an extra mini console and would I guess rest it on the seat next to them?

I assume it's for column shift trucks.

I would be interested in a redesigned full console cup-holder if you end up making one OP.

1 hour ago, billyblankss said:

I'm intrigued but confused. I have mini console... But it has a shifter in it that I use for driving. Is the use case here for people that have an extra mini console and would I guess rest it on the seat next to them?

This would be for MJs with column shifted auto trans.  One could add the full console or mini console and either plug the shifter hole with a block off plate, or add cup holders.  

I've been surprised no one had done this with a mini console yet, I did a more permanent version recently while redoing my interior. 

Had to dremel the hole a little bigger to accommodate full size cup holders but it works really well. 

IMG_4371.jpg

On 7/27/2020 at 4:02 PM, fiatslug87 said:

@The86manche you should work on redesigning the cup holder that goes on the full console in front of the storage lid, I'm sure a lot of people would like to purchase something that can actually hold some large cups.:L: Photo of MJ specific cup holder from @Red Mistress

cupholder.jpg

Probably not the prettiest job, but functional, I enlarged the existing openings on this cupholder in mine. I did one large enough to hold a can snugly and the other a bit larger to hold a large cup. 

Enlarged Cup Holder Bottom View.jpg

Enlarged Cup Holder Top View.jpg

Enlarged Cup Holder.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, schardein said:

I posted about this idea back in March.  Glad to see someone took up the challenge!  

If you get to a point of producing these, I'd be interested in a blank one and a cup holder one (with no words).

OKAY, life got away from me and i forgot about this post.. lol

I decided i wouldnt do words my dad brought up an interesting point that chrysler might own the rights to the name 'comanche' so it wouldnt be wise to do that.

Ive been working on and off on this project. Trying to make a nice snug delete plate and tweaking cup holders so a "big chug" cup can fit at least one cup holder

On 7/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, fiatslug87 said:

I can send you one, it will be the XJ version which has a cut-out in the front for the e-brake handle (which should just be filled in like above), all other dimensions are the same.

PM your address.

On its way, good luck!

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Isn’t @Dzimm making these? 

Yes I make cupholders in both of the styles mentioned here and have a third in the works.  They are available for sale in the Vendors section. I had no idea this post existed.