Attention woke Jeep owners!

CMMagnussen

I'm not paying to read the full article, but I get the gist of it.  $20 says the author drives a Prius....idiot.

Although, my Jeep's name is the ultimate oxymoron and I can't believe no one at DC (at the time) ever noticed or said anything.  I drive a Liberty........LIMITED edition.:doh:

53 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

I'm not paying to read the full article, but I get the gist of it.  $20 says the author drives a Prius....idiot.

Although, my Jeep's name is the ultimate oxymoron and I can't believe no one at DC (at the time) ever noticed or said anything.  I drive a Liberty........LIMITED edition.:doh:

Incognito mode bypasses the paywall. It gets more pukeworthy from there. Goes on to suggest that the cash for the trailer hitch add on should be donated.

Clearly none of those hipster morons have ever experienced a Jeep. I guarantee you the author is a millennial snowflake that just whines about everything. Some kids should have been spanked...

Not reading the article.

The names were chosen out of RESPECT though.  Similar to how you have the Apache, Iroquois, Comanche (that they unfortunately did not take to production), Chinook, Kiowa, Lakota, and etc helicopters, along with fixed wing aircraft such as the Dakota, Choctaw, Huron, Mohawk, etc.

I couldn’t bring myself to read more than the first paragraph but clearly we chose to drive Jeeps just to mock the native tribes that there named after not because there purpose build vehicles and can go just about anywhere. I learned something new about myself...

(some) Journalists are idiots, like there’s not 1000 other more important topics he or she could have chosen to write about.

:shaking:

1 hour ago, BeaterComanche86 said:

(some) Journalists are idiots, like there’s not 1000 other more important topics he or she could have chosen to write about.

:shaking:

I guess sometimes ya gotta go for the low hanging fruit so you can take off early for the weekend. :D  

It’s an automotive column. Pretty tough to make it relevant to anything at all, beyond talking about new product launches and the generic reviews every other auto journo is putting out. It’s low hanging fruit for sure, but it’s still an automotive tie-in to something that has been a pretty big deal in the media lately. 

As far as using indigenous names to honour the people, it’s not really up to anyone but the people themselves to decide whether it’s a legitimate honour or not. There’s a fine line between honouring a memory, and appropriating cultural elements into ultimately meaningless marketing and branding schemes. I doubt too many of us would be impressed if someone else slapped our names or identities onto some creation of theirs that we’ve got nothing to do with or much support for, either. That fact was made pretty obvious in discussions surrounding the Renegade-based Comanche concept a few years back. The idea of the chopped Renegade itself wasn’t really an issue, people who weren’t happy about it mostly just didn’t like the Comanche nameplate being slapped onto an urban Cute-Ute.

That said, Mohave is still a bit of a stretch to complain about. It’s pretty clearly derived from the place name. Cherokee on the other hand, could easily be replaced with some other nameplate on the WK2 with no real consequence, and the chunk of Jeep enthusiasts who care about names would probably be happier with it not being put on the KL.

Lone Watie--(The Outlaw Josie Wales)

*  I wore this frock coat in Washington, before the war. We wore them because we belonged to the five civilized tribes. We dressed ourselves up like Abraham Lincoln. We only got to see the Secretary of the Interior, and he said: "Boy! You boys sure look civilized.!" he congratulated us and gave us medals for looking so civilized. We told him about how our land had been stolen and our people were dying. When we finished he shook our hands and said, "endeavor to persevere!" They stood us in a line: John Jumper, Chili McIntosh, Buffalo Hump, Jim Buckmark, and me — I am Lone Watie. They took our pictures. And the newspapers said, "Indians vow to endeavor to persevere."

*  We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

*  You know, she thinks I'm some kind of a Cherokee chief.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Chief Dan George(~1981) - Lone Watie

*  ...I didn't surrender neither. But they took my horse and made him, surrender...they have him pullin' a wagon up in Kansas I'll bet.

youngfred

Read the full article by incognito mode; thanks cmmagnussen.

Tropes and click bait culture aside, the author said most marketing teams have moved to alpha numeric monikers because the lack of non copyright properties. Yet conveniently left out the fact Jeep internal designations have always been 2-3 letter codes.

Also, correct me if I'm miss remembering this, but the native american naming scheme didn't start until jeep was owned by german based Kaiser motor company, though continued with amc then mopar and now fiat. 

Without trying to shield or point a finger at anybody, I'm just saying jeeps are designed / engineered to perform a function, regardless of what marketers decide to sell it as later.

Though I will admit the eliminator trim line warrants a head slap.

11 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Clearly none of those hipster morons have ever experienced a Jeep. I guarantee you the author is a millennial snowflake that just whines about everything. Some kids should have been spanked...

Hey now... No ageism Z-er =P

20 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

As far as using indigenous names to honour the people, it’s not really up to anyone but the people themselves to decide whether it’s a legitimate honour or not.

My assessment as well ^   Also, why everything needs to be globalized into derogatory polemics about this or that group doesn't seem to further peaceful coexistence IMHO.  They're all just opinions after all and not worth the paper they're written on, so to speak.