My 88 Comanche Story and project

My 88 Comanche 4x4 LB with a 4.0L and auto on the floor has been in the family since new, but had not been maintained the greatest.  
I was asked to take it to the salvage yard because the accelerator would stick, and had been wrecked, damaged, leaking oil and antifreeze and was unsafe.  I offered to look at it, but was told "No", it's not safe, They had called and got a price from the local salvage yard and was happy with the price offered.
So I picked up the truck, took it to my nephew's shop and went back and paid them the $300.  Yep... $300 ! 

94A403FE-B309-404C-BBF4-909EEFE472CD.jpeg

7B859FC8-07CA-4269-BC08-DCD5DEE8F177.jpeg

43308661-F8FB-474F-94AF-229D9CF15948.jpeg

C4C45620-E3A8-43AB-8509-F885C8B0F8F3.jpeg

B229577F-33A9-4D5D-B01F-BA6192ABFAD7.jpeg

this Jeep has lived in the garage most of its life.  86, 667 miles.  Seat covers from day 1, interior is immaculate except the head liner, which I will replace.

I am going through the mechanicals now.
1) accelerator sticking (actually idling high) - Reconnected vacuum line

2) Oil leak - No valve cover gasket (just Rtv) Installed new valve cover gasket and corrected the oil leak (Was told the rear main was keeping, but they were wrong)

3) Coolant leak - bad thermostat and again no gasket. Installed a new thermostat with gasket and that issue is gone. 

4) dtivers door has rust - replaced window sweep. 

5)  floor pans- passenger is solid, drivers side has a 1/4 hole in it.

Need to replace right outer u joint, repair the small depression in the hood and fender, fix the rust the rusty door, then repaint.

I should have been the towel off the passenger seat, It is flawless as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Right now I am setting at a total investment of $738.43 (including the price of the truck). Not to shabby.
If it weren't for me worrying about it rusting out, I wouldn't even consider painting it.

The best quote I have received so far was $3200 for BC/CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have scheduled my MJ in for new paint in November and a spray in bed liner to protect the metal, and new stock bumpers, restoring it back to original.

Down the road I hope to do some modifications like a 2" lift, 16" rims and some Goodrich mud terrains, front winch bumper & winch, and a smittybuilt or rockcrusher rear bumper with integrated receiver. Nothing radical.

Right now money is getting tight, so the boss says NO to the fun stuff, just stock for now.

8 hours ago, Rotten Ralphy said:

I just called and scored a new OEM hood, fender, 2 Comanche and 2 4X4 badges, all OEM, All New old stock all for just a hair under $225!

Just curious, who did you call?

I just left LOU'S JEEP in Geneva IL with my parts. John is the guy to talk to at (630)232-2862

The fender is flawless, but the hood, although new and wrapped in bubble wrap, has surface rust and a small crease. He had 1 Comanche and 4x4 tag new in the package and 1 each used. I also picked up a piece of the rubber molding that is missing.

He threw in the used tags and the rubber molding. Out the door $191.35!!!