1991 Eliminator Resto-Mod

An interesting update to my stand alone efi project: I’ve found that many aftermarket ecu’s don’t want to control the 4 wire iac valve on the throttle body. It’s a stepper motor design and at the very least, uses a lot of extra outputs from your new ecu. My ecu is made to control a pwm idle valve. Basically the idle valve gets constant 12v on one pin then a pulsing ground on the other pin which moves the plunger to control the air bypass. There is no valve I’ve seen that bolts into the stock throttle body. The solution? A 2005-2006 TJ 4.0 throttle body. Not sure why but they switched to a pwm idle valve which works great with the aftermarket ecu. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve decided to set aside my stand alone project for the time being and will be listing the system for sale if anyone is interested. I’ll be moving in the near future and don’t have time to work on this at the moment. In the mean time, hood has been completely refinished with a lot of custom work for a much sleeker design. Have all the  hardware degreased and now soaking in rust remover. Will install tomorrow. 

I cut an polished the roof the other day. That paint had been curing for about 3 months now so it ready to go. Went in order starting with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000 grit paper all wet sanded. Finished with 3m trizact single step polish. Ideally I’d cut it to 5000 grit but I have a pretty potent DA that was able to make quick work of the 3000 grit with that polish. Came out great. Next l coated it with Migliore ceramic coating. I used the “Acqua” coating which is made for boats since I had plenty left over from my jet ski. The level of salt spray and rain makes this actually a very good fit for this truck. Stuck the truck under the canopy to let it all cure for 24hrs. Also did the windshield and door windows with rainx after a dawn soap and razor blade treatment. Turned out great. I had forgotten how much better the windshield and wipers perform in the rain with rainx (and similar products).

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Well guys, that concludes this build. It was a great project that spanned 5 years and traveled the globe. My MJ sold today and will be remaining on Guam. The buyer is a diehard Jeep owner though and it will be greatly appreciated. 

I hope the new owner finds his way here. Looking forward to watching the new build for sure......

1 hour ago, watchamakalit said:

I hope the new owner finds his way here. Looking forward to watching the new build for sure......

I’m pretty sure he will. He has a busy with a 92 here on island. It was originally sold here as well so I’d be very interested to see the vin registry on that one.