1991 Eliminator Resto-Mod

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added a NOS 28mm front XJ sway bar and an Addco 468 rear bar with extended links for my soa lift. John Wright @addco was super helpful to get the bar ordered up. He said they still make all the Comanche bars but that they don’t stock them or show them in their store anymore. Also, for future reference, there is an addco 570 front bar for the Comanche and a 516 for the XJ. So far I’ve only ever heard about people using the 516 on the front of their MJ’s and reporting it was too stiff. The 570 was designed to complement the 468 rear and has the same OD but is slightly softer. That being said, I found my NOS 28mm bar and opted to use that for the front after seeing @HOrnbrod’s post. 

6 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

I need to do that myself at some point. Ill stay tuned to see how much of a pita they are. :popcorn:

Yeah I’m not looking forward to it. The PO did a lot of patch work. I have a plasma cutter now though to slice that panel out and get rid of the spot welds.l 

• 3 weeks later...

Singer 250A alternator installed, fuel sending unit repaired, cooling system flushed and installed a new Mopar shroud, 10 blade mech fan, Napa upgraded fan clutch, and Mopar 01 XJ e fan. Also vacuumed and recharged the A/C. @Minuit May be interested to know it took 30oz to get a good fill on my ac with the plate and fin evaporator and condenser. 

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Singer 250A alternator installed, fuel sending unit repaired, cooling system flushed and installed a new Mopar shroud, 10 blade mech fan, Napa upgraded fan clutch, and Mopar 01 XJ e fan. Also vacuumed and recharged the A/C. @Minuit May be interested to know it took 30oz to get a good fill on my ac with the plate and fin evaporator and condenser. 

That's about the factory 134a fill. Makes sense I guess. :L:

How are the temps?

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

That's about the factory 134a fill. Makes sense I guess. :L:

How are the temps?

Someone stole my temp probe along with my multimeter so I can’t say for sure. It I would guess mid 50’s with 85* ambient air.

Addco rear bar is complete and on the way! My ocean freight finally arrives this week. Going to be cutting out the floors soon. Not looking forward to it but I’m going after any and all rust even if it’s just surface rust.

Just swapped in the 94+ short 3 wire VSS. Incase anyone does this swap down the road, there is one line that needs to be added. You will reuse the existing signal and ground wire going to the original sensor. The original signal wire comes from pin 47 at the ecu and has 5v present on the line. You will need to add a third line to the new vss which will need to be an 8v line. The cam and crank sensors both use an 8v reference voltage from the ecu. I splices into the cam sensor side since it’s right by the 4 way connector for the vss and 4wd indicator switch light. 

61AF36E8-EEF4-4A2B-9C2F-7A6F82AE26D9.jpeg.23f5165557e63d122ff9f457596cecd1.jpeg

The 4 pins in the connector from top to bottom:

1. 5v from ecu pin 47 for vss signal

2. VSS signal ground

3. 12v power for 4wd indicator light

4. Return wire for 4wd indicator light

94885AAF-E6EB-418E-BBB0-28CD2144277E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Those look better then mine. :shaking: :fistshake1: rust. 

True words. :mad: Endless rust. Drivers side bracing is out now. Will revive all the bracing from the passenger side then whatever is left to remove of the old floor pan. Next I’ll clean up the unibody rails on each side and prep the metal to weld. I’m not putting those top braces back on. Only thing I will need to reinstall is the brace section that holds the front seat mounting stud. Lots of cleanup to do but coming along nicely. Here is a sample fit:

D7164662-82B7-4400-A5B3-F55B51CBA4B7.jpeg