1991 Eliminator Resto-Mod

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see in lots of the pictures of the bodywork that the body shop did that, at that time, the bed was still attached to the cab/rest of the body. Did they take the fenders/doors/bed off when they painted it? Not that it matters, because it is a drool worthy truck, I'm just curious. I know lots of shops do things different ways for different reasons.

4 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I see in lots of the pictures of the bodywork that the body shop did that, at that time, the bed was still attached to the cab/rest of the body. Did they take the fenders/doors/bed off when they painted it? Not that it matters, because it is a drool worthy truck, I'm just curious. I know lots of shops do things different ways for different reasons.

They didn’t remove the bed or doors. They did a decent job spraying since it’s PPG Dimzler paint and has a huge amount of pearl in in. I’ve been going around myself and painting trim pieces one at a time for parts they missed. Really happy with how all the little details are turning out but it is very time consuming, especially all the plastering and trim restoration. At some point I’m going to tackle the engine compartment and make it a show truck under there with braided look and a stellar paint job. Been debating whether or not to turbo/supercharge it also. Once I get a direction there I’ll see what can be done. 
Brake work is next on the list for now. I frequently pull my jet ski through the mountains here and brakes are decent but I want brakes like I had on my wrx. Pulled a scissor lift for work the other day (2+ tons with trailer). Brakes were atrocious for that. 

31 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

You pulled over 4,000 lbs with your Comanche???? You're a braver man than I.

6A55EFFD-2107-4EE3-884B-529C6ED8168F.jpeg

23’ lift plus very heavy trailer, I like how the truck sits level under load. The squatting dog look of those leveled trucks is pretty nasty. 

Finished the Thor intake today. Love the amount of room I picked up under the hood but I can hear that engine a little too clearly. I think it’s probably the bored throttle body. Thinking about getting one of the painless ones down the road but a turbo or supercharger would also negate the sound lol. 

C49DF11F-5A00-438A-9521-55C41B88E70D.jpeg

I don't think I've ever heard a 4.0 make a sound quite quite like that. I think it sounds pretty cool, but definitely the kind of thing that would get old after a while.

Very interested to see what you come up with audio-wise.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

I don't think I've ever heard a 4.0 make a sound quite quite like that. I think it sounds pretty cool, but definitely the kind of thing that would get old after a while.

Very interested to see what you come up with audio-wise.

Yeah it’s quite a built 4.0. I never thought I would hear that much engine roaring through the intake. I set my hvac to stay permanently on max so the door to the cowl is shut but I don’t think much will negate that sound. I may end up blocking off the fresh air inlet for the hvac in the cowl.

Audio will be coming up soon (about a month or so).  Just finished install on the Mishimoto today. Moving on to the rear disk swap next. after that it’s on to the transfer case front output pilot bearing (I hate taking out that stupid bearing). Wilwood front brakes are in the works but I’m still not 100% decided on those yet. 

Every project is a can of worms on a 30 year old truck but I’ve been taking my time and getting everything working as it should. Doing a rear disk swap and revamping all the rear brake lines, axle lines, vent etc. Had to remove the truss to get things down just right. 

86BE6C21-4F6C-4F5B-94F9-F53289B1DC2C.jpeg

8E92D42E-2683-4689-92DF-1267E29E5483.jpeg

59A80190-5A97-4455-B8CF-869FBCB61C0F.jpeg

E0C7D0D0-9D16-485A-A9D7-BE487BC7FC7D.jpeg

E4B2F9D5-73F0-41F7-BB81-514074C38BFF.jpeg

Just finished the tcase refurb. Lots of cleanup but I wanted everything clean under there. Going to let the sealant cure overnight then cleanup the tranny tunnel and crossmember before reinstalling everything. Took plenty of time to clean and inspect the entire case. 

To remove the problematic bearing, a strong precision screwdriver did the trick to start folding in one side. See pics for details:

5FEE37B1-2E51-4572-BD2A-417F4CAD47ED.jpeg

78FE5F69-F8B8-4ADE-A981-DD8EFF71C6A7.jpeg

AA44B1B5-8054-482A-BAD9-2798F7685362.jpeg

CBCE0E70-7B25-4756-8B76-F3B969D96235.jpeg

31F4EEAA-F713-4ED4-81EA-D2DA97275F25.jpeg

FF75885D-4952-44FE-88E9-055DE3C60B1A.jpeg

9940E3AC-AB78-4718-B6E3-1BEC758866FB.jpeg

DD602C27-EA57-4E13-A371-593E46F4D172.jpeg

Just finished tcase install and all issues have been solved. While I had it out I blasted and degreased the tranny tunnel and gave it a nice coat of dominion sure seal liner. Took it for a test drive and it’s working great. No noise, no leaks and super smooth. On to the next project (rebuild ebrake assembly)

I'm not trying to make this thread about you towing with your truck, I swear.

Just out of curiosity, I see that you are SOA in the rear, but are your leaf springs otherwise stock? Other than the brakes, how did the truck tow? I know you have a built engine, but I'm asking more about steering and other stuff. Did the trailer have trailer brakes?

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I'm not trying to make this thread about you towing with your truck, I swear.

Just out of curiosity, I see that you are SOA in the rear, but are your leaf springs otherwise stock? Other than the brakes, how did the truck tow? I know you have a built engine, but I'm asking more about steering and other stuff. Did the trailer have trailer brakes?

well, I’ll start off by saying that I am pretty used to towing big loads. The springs are stock 4x4 springs. Trailer didn’t have brakes. For steering, right now I run ZJ linkage with a psc box and pump. No issues at all with steering or driveability other than needing to give myself lots of room to stop. 

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

well, I’ll start off by saying that I am pretty used to towing big loads. The springs are stock 4x4 springs. Trailer didn’t have brakes. For steering, right now I run ZJ linkage with a psc box and pump. No issues at all with steering or driveability other than needing to give myself lots of room to stop. 

that's what I was thinking....brakes brakes brakes.......  I tow a little with my 2001 XJ and with the upgrades and 4.11 diffs it has plenty of power to get going. It's the stopping part that I have to be careful with.  I think the brake upgrades you are doing will be a big improvement.  Nice build

Just pulled the trigger on a new cr Laurence rear slider window. My original slider leaks and I just can’t have that in the tropics. The seals are shot around the slider and by the time I pull the window to disassemble the slider I might as well just get a new one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my parking brake rebuild today. Pretty crappy design if I do say. So many design issue with the unit. The pawl and sprocket were both stamped out with a not so sharp blad which caused some rounded off edges. A lot of welding and reshaping needed here. 

F15E2238-3336-4A1D-8F59-8583AB331C41.jpeg

811813AE-2709-48D2-94DF-4AE8E98C50B8.jpeg

BB9DB257-FABF-4125-AD71-10293D5AAF6C.jpeg

279AA5A8-5467-4199-A6D0-81796ED8B430.jpeg

For future reference, when you have a parking brake that tries to smash your fingers when releasing it, you are missing the bumper that acts as a stop. Unless you find the replacement part, you’ll need a bumper approx 1” in diameter and 1/2” thick. I used a plastic spacer and button head 5/16 bolt for this but will track down the correct bumper eventually. 

Installed my rebuilt e brake unit today. Even the brake light in the dash now works lol. Took out all the trim and seat from the drivers side and pulled the carpet to give a thorough cleaning.  Everything cleaned up very well but I’m going to replace my floor pans in the next few weeks. I seriously want everything perfect which is almost impossible on a 30yo Jeep but I’m doing my best. Welded in a new seat stud as well that had been stripped out a long time ago. 

8269D50D-7103-4675-942B-7A343AA9D596.jpeg

99CB607E-3299-4840-B252-47B63F464A5A.jpeg

050CF9C1-2D1B-4786-B486-BE74BA1A32CC.jpeg

FA842785-8F02-4E66-AB07-3CC17AA61EF6.jpeg

Quick update with more pics to come:

Just got my rear CR Laurence window in the mail yesterday. Ordered up a pair of 2001 explorer right hand drive e brake cables. These are 51” long and bolt in for disk brake setups. Will post part numbers shortly as well.