1991 Eliminator Resto-Mod

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Love the paint color. I really like the hood scoop it fits the truck. And those tail lights are a thing of beauty. Great build.

Thanks! My wife is the one that wanted to add the scoop. I was surprised the scoop looks that good. Almost like an oem option. I’m working on all the tailgate hardware now. Stripping off all the old paint and refinishing all the trim pieces. Also replacing all the torx bolts with stainless since we are right by the ocean. Once the tail end is finished it’s on to the cab and then front end. Headlights just arrived. 

Headlights have arrived. Morimoto mini h1 projectors and ballasts. Just polished the lenses and they are perfect. There are so many copy cat lights out there but finding  7x6 (mj/xj/yj size) true projectors is getting hard. GTR lighting and Starr HID have both discontinued them. Rugged retrofits said the housings don’t exist anymore. LEDs have mostly taken over the market but true hid projectors are still my favorites by far.

CF9E69C1-151F-4022-8FBE-0ED793F0F297.jpeg

On 2/23/2020 at 6:41 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

Here are the long awaited pictures of the finished product. Still working on a lot of cleanup and trim piece restoration.

89D3B4E7-A195-419F-930B-54099197764A.jpeg

that's a sexy Jeep right there. :D 

Been working on interior and exterior trim pieces. Getting all the final details completed. My cam doesn’t produce much vacuum (14inches at idle). Will be adding a leed vane style electric brake booster pump to bring the vacuum up to about 20in. 
     Removed the back window rubber and am working on restoring it. Also scraped and sanded all the rear window trim then masked it off for painting.

36D50EA1-3BB1-4F0C-93DD-6F2E1D38B744.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time for the saga to continue. Was able to find all nos front mud flaps thanks to @fiatslug87. Will be trimming a set of fronts to be a set of rear and will use the scarfab brackets he just sent me. Also picked up a 240A Singer alternator. I’m sick of not having enough amps at idle to drive everything. 

I’ve never really liked my center console and have also been wanting to do some clean and discreet audio work. I’m trying to keep the truck “period correct” while adding improved functionality. Been gathering some inspirational photos on what I’d like to do with the center console. I’d like to meld the oem console and something like this: 

53D9DC9E-EE6A-4496-8B8B-7906FE5FCE77.jpeg

On 6/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

I’ve never really liked my center console and have also been wanting to do some clean and discreet audio work. I’m trying to keep the truck “period correct” while adding improved functionality. Been gathering some inspirational photos on what I’d like to do with the center console. I’d like to meld the oem console and something like this: 

53D9DC9E-EE6A-4496-8B8B-7906FE5FCE77.jpeg

:L: that would be awesome and it looks like the cup holders might actually hold something.

• 2 months later...

Well time to turn my attention back to the MJ after finishing the Jet Ski build. My brake booster starter to fail on me (air suction sound when letting off brakes). I’ve also never been to happy with the master cylinder that’s the wrong size. Picked up an 01 XJ booster and master cylinder along with a Wilwood combination valve and left hand bracket. Will be taking care of all the lines tomorrow. Also picked up a really nice moroso trans cooler that I will be using as a stand alone unit along with an fittings for the tranny and braided stainless -6 an lines. I’ll share pics as I go along

Starting with the brake booster. The 01 xj booster is a bolt on but will require the 1/4 spacer that’s already behind our stock boosters. 
01 XJ booster specs:

Dual 8” diaphragms 

3 3/8 square mounting pattern (same as stock)

Pedal rod is the standard HO 1991+ setup but could be modified for the earlier versions with the brake light switch on the end of the rod. 
Master cylinder mounting studs easily accommodate the Wilwood prop valve bracket. 
For the 01 XJ master cylinder, the rear outlet is for the front brakes and the front outlet is for the rear brakes. M10 bubble flare for the rear fitting and M12 bubble for the front. I used adapters to adapt everything to 3/8-24 inverted flare. 
This MC is a 1” bore. Stock MJ was mostly 15/16. I would assume that the extra booster from the dual diaphragm setup allowed for a slightly larger MC bore to increase volume while still keeping the pressure high. Anything larger than a 1” MC will lower the line pressure and would cause the brakes to not be as effective if its all stock.

at one point in time I owned a factory TJ center console that had a subwoofer in it. :D  (bought it for my sister's Jeep way back when)  always wondered how well it would fit an MJ, but I don't think I ever tried.  :dunno:

like this but gray

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 7:50 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

Well time to turn my attention back to the MJ after finishing the Jet Ski build. My brake booster starter to fail on me (air suction sound when letting off brakes). I’ve also never been to happy with the master cylinder that’s the wrong size. Picked up an 01 XJ booster and master cylinder along with a Wilwood combination valve and left hand bracket. Will be taking care of all the lines tomorrow. Also picked up a really nice moroso trans cooler that I will be using as a stand alone unit along with an fittings for the tranny and braided stainless -6 an lines. I’ll share pics as I go along

That probably wasn't helping your lack of vacuum if it was leaking.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:37 PM, Pete M said:

at one point in time I owned a factory TJ center console that had a subwoofer in it. :D  (bought it for my sister's Jeep way back when)  always wondered how well it would fit an MJ, but I don't think I ever tried.  :dunno:

like this but gray

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I had one of those sub consoles in my TJ and it was very nice. Not much bass from it but definitely rounded out the music and the console itself was great. Was looking into some sort of console setup like this

A few progress pics. Brakes are finished now. Took a few good bleeds and works great. Readjusted the rear drums also. Am still thinking about switching to rear disks but I use my parking brake a lot on the boat ramp and ones in the disk brakes just don’t hold quite as well. I’ll look into this further at some point.
     The last pic is my latest endeavor to fully purge any air from the cooling system. I used a Mishimoto temp probe adapter and installed it in the upper radiator hose. I open the plug to bleed out air and then installed a 1/8npt stainless plug after. Works great for getting rid of the air trapped in that pesky hose.
     On a side note, for those who want something quite unique in their MJ/XJ I found a full sequential shift system with paddle shifter that is a bolt on for our jeeps and runs the aw4. It is a thing of beauty but cost a small fortune (approx 2k). The steering adapter fits 5 bolt Grant or 6 bolt Sparco/Momo wheels

Also moved my IAT sensor to the factory air box. This will help to slightly richer up the mixture. Noticed that it immediately improved hot starting and idle. Perhaps a slight power gain also but too hard to tell.

4CEFA018-4731-4B34-BA18-68A802F1A537.jpeg

4A7F68F9-A2FA-4764-91A1-479AADF49C82.jpeg

B5822776-86A5-4AFE-AF54-A46A61A9C69A.jpeg

97C0561C-435C-4721-9A56-B4E5E027EA32.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the latest:

Rreplaced rotor cap and plug wires with DUI livewires. Then upgraded to Ford Motorsport 24lb injectotors. These are 6 hole ev6 style injectors and are rated 24lbs at 39psi (stock fuel rail pressure at WOT). Next step is intake and tuning. Going to have Chris at christuned socket the obd1 ecu and reprogram the EPROM. Will install a data logger first and get some baseline readings. 

219A885E-057F-409C-910A-407B82B64A0B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Time for some more updates. I had originally installed some aftermarket weatherstripping for the doors but I just ordered and installed new Mopar weather stripping and the quality and fit is unbelievably better. Also been working on repairing and restoring every piece of cracked or damaged plastic trim in the truck. Will be adding some more audio down the road so I took the time to track down all the little rattles and noises from the doors. Super quiet now!

6F0D02F9-EF75-487E-AACC-36ABE6C3DA5A.jpeg

B6D0F2A6-7098-465F-B414-1FF7287D0027.jpeg

6D4BF304-B25C-4920-BF7C-D9D1B56729F2.jpeg

411C3398-992D-41A6-BE11-F01D6FE3E284.jpeg