your favorite MJ mods: functionality edition

Doesn't have to be your MJ, but what's your favorite "useful" mod. 

I'm a big fan of the 3/4" plywood I bolted to the rear wall in the cab of my old 88.  I can easily attach all sorts of things to it now, for example the fire extinguisher and first aid kit.  :L: 

no pics of it though.  I covered it with speakerbox fabric so it really doesn't look much different than the normal rear panel.  just use your imagination :D 

LED hood light strip I put under the hood and wired into a factory switch. That’s the only non factory addition I have. Provides a good light all on the engine bay. 

Con: strips crapping out. 

Driving lights. Nice to have some brighter lights on some poorly lit streets. 

My ebay tool box. It's a simple aluminum box that I beefed up with 2 MasterLock hasps.

20191005_073529.jpg.35c26bf1391e6cc9f40b991290d6a0bf.jpg

It provides secure storage for tools and recovery gear outside the cab. It doesn't block my bed rails so I can still run my canopy. And it sits low enough that I can still slide my sleeping deck over it for camping trips.

Basically, it does everything I need an empty friggin' box to do, and it didn't cost $500+. Yes, I'm looking at you, Weather Guard!

Definitely my 5k harbor freight winch on the front hitch. It has quick disconnects in case I want to take it off and it has been VERY handy in pulling people out of my mother's yard when they back into a swampy section during the winter. Also very handy for clearing our bushes in front of my house during renovations.

galvanized Uni-strut (?) channel.  it's super overkill for bungie straps, but has plenty of holes for adjustability.  The C02 tank, towbar, and fire extinguisher (which is rechargeable/refillable and I carry for cleaning off mud, not specifically for fires) are mounted using the uni-strut clamps meant for pipes.

27115578.jpg

edit: found an old image of how I attached it:

22373846.jpg

92686933.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

galvanized uni-stru (?) channel.  it's super overkill for bungie straps, but has plenty of holes for adjustability.  The C02 tank and fire extinguisher are mounted using the uni-strut clamps meant for pipes.

27115578.jpg

edit: found an old image of how I attached it:

22373846.jpg

Can you post a link to the build threads for your trucks? I would like to read more about them. 

4 hours ago, thecodemonk said:

Speaking of functionality mods...what's the rail system you got in the bed there?

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

galvanized Uni-strut (?) channel.

27115578.jpg

My local steel surplus calls them galvanized slotted channel bar.

I had done something similar to a Dakota a few years back.