Records

eaglescout526

I own hundreds of 12 inchers.  but I don't "collect" them, I rescue them. :D   most are classical tunes, but there are also others.   my favorites are the old blues and rock albums. 

19 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I own hundreds of 12 inchers.  but I don't "collect" them, I rescue them. :D   most are classical tunes, but there are also others.   my favorites are the old blues and rock albums. 

I like that. Rescue them, that’s a good one. Just like how I rescue the old 78’s 

Most of my favorite albums are in the 50’s and 60’s and some into the 70’s as unfortunate rereleases. 

17 minutes ago, NHMJXJ said:

Converted decades ago and now regret. 

Shame. 

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Any body on here have a record collection? None of those new fangled cassettes or CDs, just the old fashioned stuff like 45s(7in), 33 1/3s(12in) and 78s(10in).

I have my family's Christmas album collection on 33s.  Probably 50 or so albums my parents collected when they first got married.  Lately it's been a challenge to find a working record player over the holidays to listen to them.

8 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

I have my family's Christmas album collection on 33s.  Probably 50 or so albums my parents collected when they first got married.  Lately it's been a challenge to find a working record player over the holidays to listen to them.

Really? That’s sucks. I have two turntables. One is a portable Crossley which plays alright for $80 if you are interested in that route.  And I have an old Panasonic turn table from the 80’s(has a quartz display) that I found at goodwill that only does 7” and 12”. I got it for a steal for $7 and all it needed was a new needle. I actually really love that turn table. But there’s some decent ones floating around

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Really? That’s sucks. I have two turntables. One is a portable Crossley which plays alright for $80 if you are interested in that route.  And I have an old Panasonic turn table from the 80’s(has a quartz display) that I found at goodwill that only does 7” and 12”. I got it for a steal for $7 and all it needed was a new needle. I actually really love that turn table. But there’s some decent ones floating around

I've always thought about trying to find a component turntable to hook into my receiver.  I've just always thought about it too late - with a record in hand, ready to play.  

Yep, love me some flat, black discs! I started collecting vinyl about 15 years ago. I'm huge into punk (not Blink 182, offspring, Greenday BS) and most of the albums where only published on vinyl and super limited numbers, I have a few that are 1 of 100 pressings. I'm kind of pissed vinyl made a come back because it's a fortune now. I never bought it as an investment, just simply wanted to have the REAL recording of music other than rely on youtube. Now I've started to buy classic rock albums, really don't care if they are original pressing just want to listen to them. I enjoy the ritual of laying down vinyl and listening to a full album. Been totally diggin on Cosmos factory from CCR lately. 

1 hour ago, kryptronic said:

Lately it's been a challenge to find a working record player over the holidays to listen to them.

I got one of these

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/665940-REG/Audio_Technica_AT_LP60_AT_LP60_Fully_Automatic_Belt_Drive.html?ap=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocUirr20ATA8trudx14z459z-CzkKa6C5fP66aESwH4ssilQ5tARaHBoCYWQQAvD_BwE

Hook it up to my little computer speakers and it's perfect. 

I started DJ'ing HS dances and at a teen club when I was in high school in the 80s. Went on to DJ at my college radio station and a local college bar. A couple years after graduating I landed  a gig as a DJ on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for a short stint. Somewhere in storage I have quite a collection of 12" singles of 80s dance music/hip hop. On the ship it was all CDs and computer of course. :jammin:

Smokey I agree with you there, it does aggravate me that vinyls have made a come back, so for me finding someone else’s collection of goodies is tough to come across, unless it’s a collection of 10”

Wahoo that sounds like a fun time, I’ve had thoughts about being a DJ at the only oldies station here in AZ. 

I do in fact have a record collection, as well as a decent setup that I'm kinda proud of:

Audio Technica LP120-USB

Darkvoice 336se Tube Amp

AKG K7XX Open Back Headphones

If I use speakers instead of the tube amp & headphones the turntable wires into my Yamaha RX-V657 Reciever which then goes into 2 pairs of 8ohm sony speakers that I don't know the name of off the top of my head.

As far as vinyl goes ive got stuff from old westerns to modern future funk. Some of my favorites are 'Gunfighters Ballads & Trail Songs' by Marty Robbins and a first pressing edition of the Beatles 'White Album'

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Smokey I agree with you there, it does aggravate me that vinyls have made a come back, so for me finding someone else’s collection of goodies is tough to come across, unless it’s a collection of 10”

Wahoo that sounds like a fun time, I’ve had thoughts about being a DJ at the only oldies station here in AZ. 

Ive always wanted to do that but I wouldnt even know where to start lol, being a radio DJ sounds like a lot of fun

8 hours ago, Pirate_Staz said:

I do in fact have a record collection, as well as a decent setup that I'm kinda proud of:

Audio Technica LP120-USB

Darkvoice 336se Tube Amp

AKG K7XX Open Back Headphones

If I use speakers instead of the tube amp & headphones the turntable wires into my Yamaha RX-V657 Reciever which then goes into 2 pairs of 8ohm sony speakers that I don't know the name of off the top of my head.

As far as vinyl goes ive got stuff from old westerns to modern future funk. Some of my favorites are 'Gunfighters Ballads & Trail Songs' by Marty Robbins and a first pressing edition of the Beatles 'White Album'

I don't know the model of my Panasonic. It’s a tuner, phonograph, cassette and auxiliary and it plays pretty well. 

Funny you mention that exact Marty Robbins album as I had just found that at goodwill the other day. 

As far as the Beatles, I don’t like the post ‘67 stuff meaning the white album( I get so much hate for not liking that album) but their pre ‘67 meaning Revolver down to Please Please Me is what I enjoy if their. 

My days of collecting 45's/Albums was the early, too mid 60's. Motown sound (Gordy, Soul, Motown & Tamla labels). Records have stood in storage so long now there probably flat on one side.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

My days of collecting 45's/Albums was the early, too mid 60's. Motown sound (Gordy, Soul, Motown & Tamla labels). Records have stood in storage so long now there probably flat on one side.

The golden era of records. Theres a lot of good albums and compilations and singles that came from the 60’s. 

I currently have about 300 records in my collection/rescue.  Only about half can now be played, the other half still needing to go through the record washer.  I also collect and rehab vintage 2 channel audio equipment.  Receivers, amps, preamps, speakers, and turntables.  I'm down to 4 turntables now, my favorite and now in use being an Optonica RP 4705 with a glass dust cover (Sharp's entry into the moderately high end turntable world in the 70's).  My preamp in use is a totally recapped Norwegian Tandberg 3002a used just for the phono stage.  The fidelity and sound stage of a well recorded vinyl record sounds better in a decent setup than the great majority of digital recordings (SACD and DVD audio come close).  If you can find Quiex II or JVC Supervinyl records all the better. 

4 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Do any of you guys use discogs to catalogue your collection/rescue ward?

I usually run mine through audacity and id3 tag them so i have the .wav files on hand that way i can sift through them to A) listen whenever with ease or B) see what i have and don't have 

5 minutes ago, Pirate_Staz said:

I usually run mine through audacity and id3 tag them so i have the .wav files on hand that way i can sift through them to A) listen whenever with ease or B) see what i have and don't have 

Neat. Never heard of them. But that makes me wonder though, would they have cataloguing for 78’s?

7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I don't know the model of my Panasonic. It’s a tuner, phonograph, cassette and auxiliary and it plays pretty well. 

Funny you mention that exact Marty Robbins album as I had just found that at goodwill the other day. 

As far as the Beatles, I don’t like the post ‘67 stuff meaning the white album( I get so much hate for not liking that album) but their pre ‘67 meaning Revolver down to Please Please Me is what I enjoy if their. 

Thats fair, i really like the album more for sentimental reasons as its the first one my grandma gave me and it kinda kicked off my love for vinyl and why i have a collection today

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Neat. Never heard of them. But that makes me wonder though, would they have cataloguing for 78’s?

Oh audacity isnt really a cataloguing software it records your records as you play them so you can store the recording digitally in case something happens to your collection. I just have them all in folders that i sift through and thats kind of my way of cataloging if that makes sense

As A few of you know I am A picker have been buying and selling stuff for 30 years before all the Tv show crap.

I will have some componet stuff for sale I just picked up couple turntables amps etc I will be selling once I test them if anyones interested also just got some decent 60`s rock 4