Jeep J-10 Price

89 MJ

My little brother is looking at buying this:

IMG_8818.JPG.75397a574f0c51d339df120cfff410ac.JPGIMG_8817.JPG.5948bd2b776d79e3bc0b4c40b302b9c9.JPG

360, auto, AMC 20 rear end. Needs a box, tailgate, and a rear bumper, but it only has 64,XXX miles. The cab and interior are immaculate, box is very rusty (a lot worse than shown in pictures).

Does anybody know what this would be worth in their area?

These don't exist in central Iowa, at least aren't ever for sale, but a Wagoneer in similar condition or worse usually goes up for around $2000 - $3000.  They all usually disappear pretty quickly so I imagine they sell quick.  If a J10 popped up close to me I would go look right away if it we're in my price range.

I see some rust on the frame in your pictures so I'd be looking over every square inch of it to make sure it's not rotten.  Bring a screwdriver and poke around.  You say the box is rotten but honestly that looks pretty clean to me.  

What are they asking for it?  

1 minute ago, Dzimm said:

These don't exist in central Iowa, at least aren't ever for sale, but a Wagoneer in similar condition or worse usually goes up for around $2000 - $3000.  They all usually disappear pretty quickly so I imagine they sell quick.  If a J10 popped up close to me I would go look right away if it we're in my price range.

I see some rust on the frame in your pictures so I'd be looking over every square inch of it to make sure it's not rotten.  Bring a screwdriver and poke around.  You say the box is rotten but honestly that looks pretty clean to me.  

What are they asking for it?  

The current owner is working out a price. The other bedside is basically gone-there is no way to fix it-and this side has a lot of holes in it in places that would make it hard to patch.

Thank you!

Oh boy, if he's working out a price I'd be prepared for a high asking.  If it's that rotted out I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for it.  There is plenty of running and driving ones with very little rust for around $6000 it's just a matter of how close to you they are.

honestly, I'm so sick of dealing with rust I'm not sure I'd take it even if it was dirt cheap.  there are other trucks down south and out west that may cost a bit more up front and for transport, but will cost less in the long run. 

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

honestly, I'm so sick of dealing with rust I'm not sure I'd take it even if it was dirt cheap.  there are other trucks down south and out west that may cost a bit more up front and for transport, but will cost less in the long run. 

Agreed on that.  I bought my MJ out of georgia specifically for rust reasons- passed up a few 4x4 4.0's up in the rust belt that had 'minor surface rust'.  

I'll do the same if I end up getting a WJ. 

What looked like a decent J-10 was on the block at the Toronto Classic Car Auction this past weekend.  I didn't stick around for that part of the auction so I'll be curious to see the results when they post them in 2 or 3 weeks.   It's the second time, that I know of, that it's been at this auction.  It had a reserve price both times and obviously it wasn't met the first time.

Here in PA when one comes available, which is about once every two months, they are usually in this condition or slightly better and going for $1,500-2,000.  Whenever one appears that's not rotten and can be driven, they usually go for $5,000-7,000.

57 minutes ago, shelbyluvv said:

$4000 for this one a few months ago.

I'll buy the roll bar of it's not all rusted out.

c768c199e91990fb70df29b3341e94df.jpgb8180749fae75c5fe4b005d95fdc1529.jpg

I think my brother may want that, but I’ll pm you if he doesn’t. 

16 minutes ago, carnuck said:

I have a shortbox townside bed (7’ long) in Seattle with an ‘83 I’m parting for the Stepside bed and rollbar to go onto my lifted‘84.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got any good fenders or radiator support/header panel bits?