looks like the Gladiator prices have been announced...

Pete M

They'll range from a Sport (base) at $33,545 to a Rubicon starting price of $43,545.

according to Crawl magazine.  certainly less than I thought, but there are infinite possibilities for add-ons and mark ups. :D  I do wonder if Chrysler will try to tamp down on price gouging for the first batch...

place your bets now for how long it takes to see the first Hemi transplant pop up. :popcorn:  secondary bet, will the very first be a normal hemi, or a suped up model? :brows:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Sport (base) will be BASE at that price. Jeep will distribute limited BASE models to specific markets, for example, Knoxville will get one at $33K so that it can be advertised at that price. Besides, very few buyers will want a base-base Gladiator.

My guess is that most base units will have next level package and will be priced at $38K. 

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-gladiator-costs-35-040-to-62-310-here's-1833680540?

Throw all the options at them, and you're looking at over $60k. The $35,000 base model gets you not a whole heck of a lot, although you can spec the $1000 max tow package on it which gives you the same gears as the Rubicon axles, which are possibly also wider than the "normal" ones, although I'm not positive on that. I can't find where I thought I saw that any more. 

It really does look like it could've been a decent unit for not that huge a premium over competitive trucks, if it only was available with a decent bed. 

That $33k figure is without destination charges. Jalopnik factors in a ~$1500 charge on top of that for their numbers. 

Considering the the highest tow rating is the base model and tow package, it wouldn't surprise me if there were more base models than compared to other trucks in the segment, but that's $35,000 for the truck, $1000 for the tow pack, $2000 for an automatic trans, so yeah, that's a $38,000 truck.  Then toss in the optional add-ons you're likely to see on the ones sitting at the dealers and that's going to be a $40k truck easy just for the base models.

There aren't many manual trucks in the segment from other manufacturers anymore either, so it wouldn't surprise me if you'd have to custom order that one, which will undoubtedly bump up the cost over an automatic.

For those who prefer to watch videos than read articles. They do mention the max tow package axles are the same as the Rubicon ones, with the extra width. 

I'll point out they misquote the Colorado diesel's max tow rating of 7700lbs. 

I really want to like it, but it's tough. Even my shortbed MJ looks like the bed is almost too short to be useful, I really struggle with the idea of a five foot. It also looks ridiculous with most of the bed hanging past the axle, and it makes me wonder what it would do to the ride and handling if you did toss even 1000lbs or up to the 1600lb payload rating that far back in the vehicle.

someone give me 100k so I can buy one, v8 swap it, lift it, and then use it as the hauler for the about-to-be-mine low mileage MJ so I can then go to car shows and see which one actually gets more looks. :D 

3 hours ago, RustyRodder said:

Some dealers are already offering up to 2500 under MSRP...

Maybe somebody here can tell me- I keep seeing 'up to 7700lbs!" thrown around, which I assume is with the max tow package.  Nowhere have I seen towing without that (or the lower level tow pack)

This is way more than you probably want to know about tow ratings. 

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

The max tow rating is 7650lbs. That's the Sport (base model), max tow package, automatic. 

Theres a pretty interesting breakdown of tow ratings here:

ecuugjypa2ellm8eg8ms.png

I'm not sure how exactly how these variants relate to equipment because there's clearly data missing from that chart, but it looks like the manuals top out at 4500lbs in Rubicon spec. This may mean they won't equip the heavy axles on a manual Sport. The gearing choices don't really seem to correspond with tow ratings between manual and auto and Sport and Overland. 

What I'm finding more interesting about that chart now that I'm looking at it more closely is the payload ratings. Heavier axles cut into payload, but not as much as higher trim levels do. And the optioned-up models take a HUGE chunk out of payloads, dropping them well below factory MJ payload ratings, and don't forget those extra passengers you're hauling also consume payload; put three more of those 150-lb people into it, and the Rubicon/auto is down to 710lbs payload, all of which will be tongue weight on that maximum 7000lb trailer. Hopefully you can get all your personal effects into the trailer.

So we've got some interesting data now. Most MJ trims have higher payload ratings than most JT trims. Metric-Tonne MJs have higher payload ratings than all JTs, and could tow more than several JT equipment levels. The MJ has bigger beds, so can also carry more volume, yet it still has smaller overall dimensions.

I guess that makes the MJ one hell of a truck. 

8 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

This is way more than you probably want to know about tow ratings.  

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

The max tow rating is 7650lbs. That's the Sport (base model), max tow package, automatic. 

Theres a pretty interesting breakdown of tow ratings here: 

ecuugjypa2ellm8eg8ms.png

I'm not sure how exactly how these variants relate to equipment because there's clearly data missing from that chart, but it looks like the manuals top out at 4500lbs in Rubicon spec. This may mean they won't equip the heavy axles on a manual Sport. The gearing choices don't really seem to correspond with tow ratings between manual and auto and Sport and Overland. 

What I'm finding more interesting about that chart now that I'm looking at it more closely is the payload ratings. Heavier axles cut into payload, but not as much as higher trim levels do. And the optioned-up models take a HUGE chunk out of payloads, dropping them well below factory MJ payload ratings, and don't forget those extra passengers you're hauling also consume payload; put three more of those 150-lb people into it, and the Rubicon/auto is down to 710lbs payload, all of which will be tongue weight on that maximum 7000lb trailer. Hopefully you can get all your personal effects into the trailer.

So we've got some interesting data now. Most MJ trims have higher payload ratings than most JT trims. Metric-Tonne MJs have higher payload ratings than all JTs, and could tow more than several JT equipment levels. The MJ has bigger beds, so can also carry more volume, yet it still has smaller overall dimensions.

I guess that makes the MJ one hell of a truck.  

Thanks for that- I havent clicked the link yet, but I am trying to see why one sport is 6k and one is 7650 (both have 4.10's, which would be max tow?  but why is one less?).
Looks like Max Tow will be needed on pretty much any model thats going to tow- 4500 is nowhere near enough for a car on a full trailer (Dolly maybe). 

21 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

It really does look like it could've been a decent unit for not that huge a premium over competitive trucks, if it only was available with a decent bed. 

And a roof. Pickup trucks have roofs.

I really want to like it, but it's tough. Even my shortbed MJ looks like the bed is almost too short to be useful, I really struggle with the idea of a five foot.

In South America, 4-door crew cab pickups with 5-foot beds are extremely popular. That's the configuration of about 90 percent of the pickups I used to see when visiting with my wife in Chile (her native country). My MJs are all shortbeds. I can't recall ever wanting/needing to carry something in the bed that was too long. Yes, 8-foot framing lumber or full-size sheets of plywood or sheetrock wouldn't fit even in a shortbed, but they also wouldn't fit in a longbed MJ. There are some things that just require a full-size truck. But combine a crew cab with a full 8-foot bed and you have something that requires a seagoing captain's license to navigate.

33 minutes ago, RustyRodder said:

Thanks for that- I havent clicked the link yet, but I am trying to see why one sport is 6k and one is 7650 (both have 4.10's, which would be max tow?  but why is one less?).
Looks like Max Tow will be needed on pretty much any model thats going to tow- 4500 is nowhere near enough for a car on a full trailer (Dolly maybe). 

My only guess is there's more options on the one that only ties 6000lbs, which decreases the payload and safe tongue weight. But I really have no idea there. The Overland/auto is also listed at 6k, despite only 3.73's. There's too much data missing in terms of equipment, so really it's just a guessing game. 

The lower tow rating on the 6-speed manual may not mean a lack of the heavier axle. Manufacturers don't think Americans know how to drive with a clutch, so they downrate the towing capacity with manual transmissions so they can duck out on warranty claims when you show up with a burned out clutch after towing your mother-in-law's house trailer across the Rockies.

The requirements for j2807 include starts on a 12% grade, which is a lot to ask out of a clutch pedal that doesn't weigh more than a baby hippo. After having dragged at least 5500lbs up some extended 10% grades in the Rockies with my ax15 ZJ I wasn't excited about repeating it. It held, but let's just say I wasn't going to stop unless absolutely necessary, and I was pretty hesitant about shifting, too. The JT's tire size and gear ratio work out to similar to my ZJ at the time, and the 3.7 only produces 14% more torque than the 4.0, and is tuned for performance at higher rpm, not so much bottom-end torque. 

But either way there are two sets of axles. The Rubicon/max tow axles have thicker walls and are an inch wider than the standard ones. But you're correct, the small bump in tow rating between the manual Sport and Overland vs the Rubicon is probably more to do with the deeper gears on the rubicon than the sturdier axles, and even with the heavier axles it's still only 4500lbs. 

It's also interesting that the thing limiting the JT's towing is cooling, so you'd think the manual that isn't adding heat to the "cooling module" is going to be able to move more than than the automatic that needs to maintain a constant temperature and does take away cooling capacity. But maybe the uncooled manual would just overheat itself on j2807's 11-mile 6% grade.

We're getting pretty far into the weeds here, though.