Interview request

KyleStock

Hey Comanche Club,

I'm an auto writer at Bloomberg Businessweek and I'm looking to talk to some vintage Jeep fans. Basically, I'm hoping to get a better sense of what people love about the brand and its design relative to similar rigs from other automakers.

If you have some thoughts and are game to talk, hit me up.

Thanks,

Kyle Stock
Associate Editor
Bloomberg Businessweek
kstock6@bloomberg.net

My question was -- and is -- addressed to KyleStock. He made reference to " the brand and its design relative to similar rigs from other automakers." Before responding to his question, I think we need to know what vehicles he includes in that "similar rigs from other automakers" category.

• neohic locked this topic
  • Pete M unlocked this topic
On 3/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, Eagle said:

My question was -- and is -- addressed to KyleStock. He made reference to " the brand and its design relative to similar rigs from other automakers." Before responding to his question, I think we need to know what vehicles he includes in that "similar rigs from other automakers" category.

I sent Kyle an email last Friday asking the question.  Got this answer on Monday:

Hey John,

Thanks for the response. My piece will focus on Jeep's new Gladiator pickup. Much of its success rides on the fact that it is vastly different from trucks made by Ford, Chevy and company. I'm basically wondering what that "differentness" is and what does the brand mean to collectors and die-hard fans, such as yourself. Do you know of any members that are really excited about the Gladiator and plan to buy one?

Let me know what you think.

Best,

Kyle

Is anyone here looking to buy a Gladiator?  I am not.

His idea, from a corporate mindset/perspective,  -is the  owner of a maxed-out JL @ $70K  going to buy a maxed-out Gladiator @ $80K?

His idea of a 'die-hard fan' is completely different from yours.

None of which applies to any of us. 

Which I tried to explain. 

33 minutes ago, RustyRodder said:

The Gladiator is on my shortlist of cars to replace my Honda- but it all depends on price.  I know I am not going to pay 50k for a barely above base model, but considering Jeep isnt talking the price yet, I am sure it will be the case. 

Interesting speculation here- https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/dealer-pricing-less-than-jl-wrangler.14568/

When I say $80 I'm talking about the fully loaded Mopar version. Mopar has already designed and will provide every 'aftermarket' part under the Mopar name.........heading off the aftermarket world. 

Leather, sound system, wheels/tires, suspension and ever bit of bolt-on BS you can imagine will be available and my educated guess is exactly that.....with a tight supply- $80K

4 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Interesting speculation here- https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/dealer-pricing-less-than-jl-wrangler.14568/

When I say $80 I'm talking about the fully loaded Mopar version. Mopar has already designed and will provide every 'aftermarket' part under the Mopar name.........heading off the aftermarket world.  

Leather, sound system, wheels/tires, suspension and ever bit of bolt on BS you can imagine will be available and my educated guess is exactly that.....with a tight supply- $80K

Interesting.  I am hoping for a decently optioned one to be around 40k, but we will see.  Once it goes above that, I can't help but wonder why not go F150, Colorado, or Tacoma. 

I would guess 70-80k is in the cards with all mopar factory aftermarket- gotta get those fancier wheels, factory 35s, winch, bumpers, dual tops, cap, etc.  I would guess a loaded rubicon- before the catalog accessories- will be north of 60k, since a JL with every option is hitting 61 already. 

I had my KJ at the dealership last year for a safety recall, and just decided to hang out and wait for the work to be done (that was a mistake, lol).  I got to wondering around looking at the new dodges and jeeps for sale in the outside lots, then wandered back into the showroom out of boredom.  There, inside, sat a beautiful Grand Cherokee, SRT edition.  Gloss black, huge orange brembro disc brakes....the works.  Then I saw the window sticker.  $78,000.

There is no way on Gods green earth I would ever pay that for an FCA vehicle, even if I had the money to do so.  The Jeep name is utilitarian by its very nature....that's what makes them special.  If you are a really die hard jeep owner, you know the trade offs you are (were ???) making when buying one.  Lots of other brands are more comfortable, have better on-road manners, get better mileage, etc. but aren't as capable.

IMHO, FCA is trying to enter a market they don't belong in, including the new Gladiator.

2 hours ago, RustyRodder said:

Interesting.  I am hoping for a decently optioned one to be around 40k, but we will see.  Once it goes above that, I can't help but wonder why not go F150, Colorado, or Tacoma. 

Dream on.

1 hour ago, fiatslug87 said:

The Jeep brass have publicly stated they will be selling the new truck for a premium claiming other trucks are not in the same class.

I would have to agree with that statement. However, the statement leaves unanswered just what class the new "Gladiator" is in (other than "low," of course).

11 hours ago, Eagle said:

Dream on.

If I am looking at 50k+ to get a sport S with android auto, base tow package and a hardtop, I'll go for a Colorado or Ranger which has all that and more (Just optioned one similar to 41k).  For that price difference, it would count out the Jeep.

1 hour ago, RustyRodder said:

If I am looking at 50k+ to get a sport S with android auto, base tow package and a hardtop, I'll go for a Colorado or Ranger which has all that and more (Just optioned one similar to 41k).  For that price difference, it would count out the Jeep.

Let us know when you price out your new "Gladiator."

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, RustyRodder said:

I would guess 70-80k is in the cards with all mopar factory aftermarket- gotta get those fancier wheels, factory 35s, winch, bumpers, dual tops, cap, etc.  I would guess a loaded rubicon- before the catalog accessories- will be north of 60k, since a JL with every option is hitting 61 already. 

I know it isn't exactly comparable, but if I had that kind of money to put into a truck, I'd probably be looking at a Raptor.  I looked a little at Wranglers back in the fall and was blown away by all the options and upcharges a local dealer was getting them with.

1 hour ago, SenorT said:

I know it isn't exactly comparable, but if I had that kind of money to put into a truck, I'd probably be looking at a Raptor.  I looked a little at Wranglers back in the fall and was blown away by all the options and upcharges a local dealer was getting them with.

True- but I was trying to compare new vs new, and the Raptors mpg is pretty bad, even compared to the standard 5.0 F-150.  

The article went up this morning, I saw. 

And production Gladiators are rolling out now- and still no price? I am surprised a window sticker hasnt leaked yet.