Lowes/Kobalt tools rant

mjeff87

Long story short, I bought a Kobalt 1/2" drive socket set (SAE/metric) many years ago when I was building my MJ.  Bought it specifically because of the lifetime warranty, and over the years have exchanged a couple sockets and the ratchet due to wear.  Never a problem until today.  The ratchet pawl is shot and the 15mm socket is worn out, so I swung by Lowes to exchange them.  I just happened to have the whole set in the molded case with me so I carried it into the store, grabbed a new ratchet and socket and went to the service counter.  That's when the fun started.  They said since the pieces were part of a set they couldn't just replace them under warranty, they had to take the whole kit back and give me a whole new one.  Normally that wouldn't be a problem but this set is at least 10 years old and not offered anymore.  Okay, fine.  They said go find a "similar" set and they would swap them out.  Problem is, they don't have anything comparable now since they picked up craftsman and are phasing out the Kobalt line.  The closest thing they had was a 55pc Kobalt impact socket set (mine is only 36 PC, standard chromed) and there was no ratchet included.  I was willing to take that but they wouldn't do the swap.  Called the store manager and the SOB wouldn't even come down from the office to handle the situation.  Cashier gave me the 800 number for Kobalt and told me to call them myself and figure it out.  At that point I was so hot I just decided to leave before I did something stupid.  Came home, called Kobalt and they basically told me the same thing (go back to store and find a comparable set to swap out).  With all the candor I could muster I asked for it to be escalated and she put me on hold for about 10 minutes and was connected to Lowes corporate.  Same deal with that lady (exchange the whole kit) and I finally lost my temper.  I'm supposed to be getting a call back from Lowes "senior management" within 24 hours to try to resolve the situation.  Still waiting for that call.

Seriously???  I realize that it might be Kobalt "policy" to swap kits, but the damn thing is obsolete with nothing close to match it.  The individual pieces are hanging right there on the shelf......we're talking about like $35 worth of stuff.  Can't anyone just provide a modicum of effing customer service and good-will exchange them for me?  My full time job is about 95% customer service and I have to almost bend over and kiss my own @$$ for our customers on a daily basis, whether they're right or wrong.  So when something like this happens to me, it makes my head explode.

Ill see if corporate actually calls me back tomorrow, and if they do what their solution is.  I've got half a mind to walk back into the store and empty out the whole damn kit on the managers desk, toss my lowes card at him and walk out right now.

rant/off

That's what I've done in the past, just took the individual pieces in for exchange...never an issue.

Theres another Lowes about 20 miles south of me (right by the junkyard I go to), I'll probably try taking the ratchet and socket there tomorrow by themselves and see what happens.  I guess I'm just more upset with the way I've been treated as a customer, with such an easy and obvious resolution just staring everyone in the face.  I guarantee if I would have done anything close to what they all did to me to one of our customers, I'd be looking for a job right now.

Sorry to seem so worked up over this, but I'm really  upset right now.

Another vote for just carrying in the ratchet and socket, not the whole set.

I've replaced Sears Craftsman ratchets under their lifetime warranty. No arguments about "Bring in the set" -- they have a rack of replacement ratchets under the counter, they just hand you a new (rebuilt, in recent years) one and off you go. Individual sockets should be no problem -- they still have a rack full of Kobalt sockets. Why the [bleep] would they even want to replace an entire set when all you need is two pieces? That's idiotic.

Man that sucks.  

I've returned tools twice to Lowe's, first time (local) went very smooth, 2nd (not local, I was on vacation and broke a tool) I got a lot of "uums" and "ahs" and raised eyebrows.  I told the two ladies to go get the manager while I grab the replacement.  Worked out in the end, but I nearly lost my temper since I was on vacation and they were drawing out a simple thing.

As a professional mechanic with Chrysler Dodge Jeep, I decided to give their stuff a shot as our owner won't let the tool trucks on the property. I got a 1/4 and a 3/8 wratchets. I didn't have any issues with the 1/4 for a long time, but the 3/8 broke the first time I used it. Went in and exchanged it, same thing happened. Did this five times before they wouldn't give me another one. Told me to call the corporate 800 number. Called and left a message, was told I would get a call back within 48 hours. No one ever called me back. At that point I dug up my receipt and took it back to the store and talked to a manager and explained my whole story. He was totally reasonable and gave me full store credit. Looked at the wratchets again at that point and noticed the design had changed. They must have had a real problem with those wratchets. I won't be getting them ever again, but I guess it doesn't matter at this point with the Craftsman switchover. 

3 minutes ago, dasbulliwagen said:

As a professional mechanic with Chrysler Dodge Jeep, I decided to give their stuff a shot as our owner won't let the tool trucks on the property. I got a 1/4 and a 3/8 wratchets. I didn't have any issues with the 1/4 for a long time, but the 3/8 broke the first time I used it. Went in and exchanged it, same thing happened. Did this five times before they wouldn't give me another one. Told me to call the corporate 800 number. Called and left a message, was told I would get a call back within 48 hours. No one ever called me back. At that point I dug up my receipt and took it back to the store and talked to a manager and explained my whole story. He was totally reasonable and gave me full store credit. Looked at the wratchets again at that point and noticed the design had changed. They must have had a real problem with those wratchets. I won't be getting them ever again, but I guess it doesn't matter at this point with the Craftsman switchover. 

I have to ask- Why?

Yeah, they did redesign the ratchets.  I warrantied out the original one about 5 years ago and noticed the change on the new one (the one I have now that the pawl is shot on).  They got a lot beefier, which I liked.  The ones hanging on the shelf now are yet another design, a bit skimpier too.  I don't really care, I just need a new one along with a new 15mm socket.

That said, I did just order and am picking up tomorrow a 14 PC set of 1/2" metric sockets that are 6 point (kobalts are 12 pt) from Northern Tool.  They are bobo brand (Klutch), but almost any 6 pt is better than a 12 pt IMHO.

1 hour ago, dasbulliwagen said:

Looked at the wratchets again at that point and noticed the design had changed. They must have had a real problem with those wratchets. I won't be getting them ever again, but I guess it doesn't matter at this point with the Craftsman switchover. 

I wouldn't buy any new Craftsman ratchets. Mine were made in the USA and I've had most of them for 40 or 50 years. The only one I've had to replace is one of the 3/8 flex-head rathchets. The new ones are made in China and they aren't nearly as high quality. If I had to buy a set of mechanics tools today, I don't know what I'd buy.

6 hours ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

How can tool truck guys get away with not warranting tools? If you report them to corporate shouldn't they cut them off?

My problem is finding a Snap-On truck.  How does one exchange the tools if they don't work at a shop that the truck regularly visits?

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

I wouldn't buy any new Craftsman ratchets. Mine were made in the USA and I've had most of them for 40 or 50 years. The only one I've had to replace is one of the 3/8 flex-head rathchets. The new ones are made in China and they aren't nearly as high quality. If I had to buy a set of mechanics tools today, I don't know what I'd buy.

100% agreed! When my Grandfather passed away I inherited his tools. All hand tools were Craftsman. There is no comparison between the quality of what I inherited and what is available by Craftsman now days.

When I heard that Craftsman ratchets were being made in china, I got on ebay and bought an American made 3/8 flex head ratchet with the angled handle, because I needed one.  My old Snap-On finally broke and I didn't have time to locate a truck to exchange it.

Got the ratchet, which was supposedly new (looked new), and after a couple uses the ratchet mechanism got flaky.  Under load it would pop and reverse direction.  Very disappointing.

I bought a Gearwrench flex head ratchet and have been pleased with its performance.

Believe it or not, I also have a Harbor Freight flex head 3/8 ratchet in my junkyard bag.  I thought, if it breaks it is easy to replace.  I've abused it for about 5 years and it's still going.  I have the same style flex head ratchet in 1/4 drive, and it has held up very well also.  This style:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-quick-release-swivel-head-ratchet-96782.html

I also tried this one, and broke it in two months.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-38-in-drive-long-reach-dual-flex-head-ratchet-67994.html

When I went to exchange it, they didn't have any, which is when I got the style above instead.

I usually just walk in with the broken kobalt item, make sure the door person sees that I walked in with said item. walk over to tools&hardware department, find the area rep. "This broke need a new one" he yanks one off the wall, open a it, hands me the new one , and stuffs my broken one in the package and writes it off as damaged. I leave, no money spent, no stress. Lol

Find " That guy " in the store, he'll become your best friend. 

The Gearwrench flex head 3/8 is my go to right now. That is when I'm not using my Milwaukee electric wratchet. Last time I looked at Craftsman wratchets.... several years ago, there were 3 or 4 different quality levels, depending upon price and where they were made. There was a USA made, Malaysian made, and China made. I'm not sure if they do that anymore. don't have a Sears anymore, and my Lowes isnt fully stocked with it yet.

I have a set of S-K 3/8” and 1/2” ratchets and sockets I inherited from my father.  They’re at least 50 years old and I use them on a fairly regular basis.  I’ve lost a couple of sockets over the years that I replaced with other brands because I couldn’t find S-K locally.

Recently my 1/2” ratchet just quit engaging.  I went online, found S-K and ordered a ratchet repair kit.  When it came in, I found they had sent a 3/8” repair kit.  After a few colorful words, I took the 1/2” ratchet apart and found the mechanism was full of gunk.  Cleaned everything up, lubricated and reassembled it and it’s good as new.

I don’t know if currently available S-K tools are as good as my old set.  Their current ratchets are a different design and look to me to be lighter duty.  I don’t think Craftsman is the same now as their old stuff either.  I know I sound like an Olde Pharte when I say they don’t make them like they used to, but I believe it’s true.

You have to take a hard look at the tools and the warranty support and then make a judgement call.  If you make your living with your tools, you have a higher expectation of quality than someone who uses their tools occasionally.

Bottom line still is that you pay for what you get.

Well, mission accomplished but not without incident.  Went to a different store this morning with just the two pieces.  The kid at the service counter says no problem, go grab the new ones while I start ringing things up in the computer.  Great.  Grabbed them, came back and he looks at the ratchet in comparison to my old one (the handle design is slightly different) and asks how old my ratchet is.  I said I didn't know, maybe 5 years (I had already replaced it once in the past with no hassle, and it was slightly different than the original one).  He says he can only exchange it for the exact model....which I said no longer exists.  Please call the store manager down here to help (he honestly didn't know what do do and I wasn't upset with him).  Manager comes, says the same thing to me about exact replacement and again suggests I call Kobalt direct and figure out my own problem.  I said ok, since you don't have one in stock here now, go ahead and order me one from Kobalt and I'll come pick it up.  She fusses around in the computer for about 5 minutes and finally it dawns on her what the problem is.  Hallelujah.  She then just scanned the UPC's on the new ones as a return, gave me a credit, then scanned them again as a sale and applied the credit.  I suggested that to the first store that I went to yesterday but they said they couldn't do that.  Anyways, I finally got what I needed.  I kept the store managers name in case Lowes actually does call me back, and will let them know how good she was to work with.  Unlike my local store manager yesterday who couldn't be bothered to come out of his office to help his staff fix a problem.

edit:. And as far as Craftsman goes, I chose Kobalt over C when I bought this set so many years ago because their crappy ratchets kept breaking (especially the 1/4" drive ones).  I do have a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet (V-series) inherited from my wife's grandfather when he passed.  It's got to be at least 50 years old and still works like the day it was made.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro ratchets are my go to now for quality.  They have all the high end features and have yet to let me down.  My Craftsman 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets(USA made, replaced with China made) have all broken repeatedly and the replacements have a problem where they reverse direction if the handle is swung too fast.  The two 1/2" Craftsman ratchets(USA made) still work fine.

Lowe's pulled the same B.S. on me two weeks ago when I tried to exchange a Craftsman ratchet and 8mm socket. They wanted me to bring in my set with original purchase receipt. I said "My whole 400 piece set that I bought 15 years ago with receipt? You must be out of your mind!" Went to Ace and they were able to order a replacement ratchet. Good old Ace. Need to go there more. They always seem to be able to help...and willing to help. Can't get 10 feet into the store without someone asking you what you need help with. 

Seems like Lowe's wants to sell the tools but not service them.

Called Craftsman and they sent me a new 8mm socket.

Effing Lowe's...I was going to go in and buy a new water heater too. Told the wife let's go, we gave Home Depot our money instead. I'm done with Lowe's.

I was pleasantly surprised when lowes did call me back yesterday.  We all had a good talk about corporate and Kobalt policies and how sometimes both make it difficult for store employees to offer good customer service and actually help customers.  Everyone agreed that I should have just been given the 2 pieces I needed without any hassle and allowed to go on about my day.  They offered to let me go back to the store and pick out any tool kit I wanted for free to make up for things, but I politely declined and thanked them for the gesture.  I've been made whole at this point and saw no point of taking advantage of the situation.  All I asked them to do is evaluate their policies and work on supporting their staff when they need help.

That said, I did swing by northern tool yesterday and grabbed a 1/2" metric socket set in 6-point version.  My kobalts (metric) are all 12-point (the SAE's are 6's).  I really don't like using 12-points if I can help it.  $17.99, on sale now, if anyone's looking for them.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, Alexia said:

Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro ratchets are my go to now for quality.  They have all the high end features and have yet to let me down.  My Craftsman 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets(USA made, replaced with China made) have all broken repeatedly and the replacements have a problem where they reverse direction if the handle is swung too fast.  The two 1/2" Craftsman ratchets(USA made) still work fine.

I would like to second this. I have a 1/2" and combo 1/4"/3/8" drive extendable ratchets and they are bad_ass.