Carpet Replacement

As Pete said, if yours aren’t completely gone you can pull it out, take it to the do-it-yourself car wash to clean it.  I cleaned and dyed the carpets in both of the MJs I owned.  

Wash down the car wash bay, to get rid of the dirt washed from cars, and lay the carpet out.  Hit with the high pressure spray to knock off the heavy dirt.  Then use the soap spray all over the carpet.  Take a stiff brush with you to scrub it all over and harder in the stubborn spots. After scrubbing it well, use the high pressure rinse to get the soap out.  To save quarters, you can take it home, lay it on a slope and hose it down until the rinse water runs clear.  Let it dry thoroughly to check how well you cleaned it and spot clean if necessary.

you can dye it with fabric dye (buy it at the grocery or fabric store - fabric store will have a better selection of colors).  You may need two boxes of dye.  Mix the dye with water per instructions on the box.  Pour it into a “pump-up” garden sprayer and spray the carpet evenly.  After the carpet dries, rinse it with your hose to remove the excess dye.  Let it dry again and put it back in the truck.

Try to keep the carpet roughly in the same shape as it fits in the truck while it is drying.

It may not look completely new when finished, but it should look a lot better.

Every single replacement carpet for the MJ is made by the same manufacturer. It is uncut, fresh out of the mold when you get it. You will need to cut the carpet for any and all things that need to come up through it. There is also a few inches of "extra" carpet on all sides that you will need to get rid of. Expect to spend a very long time on your knees with a razor blade getting the cuts in the carpet just right.

I replaced mine about a year and a half ago with mass-backed standard thickness carpet. This color is Mist Grey, available from Stock Interiors. I spent a long time getting it to fit right, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

RvYgjbMl.jpg

YwipvfAl.jpg

NcrmkBVl.jpg

c8OZAAQl.jpg

dyynT5Pl.jpg

wRVp7gml.jpg

ZfUZW9bl.jpg

22 hours ago, Pete M said:

is yours falling apart or just dirty?  nothing fits as well as factory and some guys have had great success taking the carpet out and burning through some quarters are the DIY car wash.  :L: 

I have the black vinyl carpet and its falling apart from old age.

Got the carpet unboxed and had a few comments--it is a good reproduction, but not perfect.  The backside is covered in oil from the manufacturing process and there is way too much carpet around the edges that will need to be heavily trimmed.  Additionally, the portion in the front the trans tunnel where it meets the firewall will need significant trimming.  I'm also apprehensive on when I should cut the opening for the tcase shifter.  I have a column shift transmission, so nothing else to cut.  I'll also need to cut for the seat bolts and seatbelts.  I also bought an extra "yard" of carpet to re-cover the rear cab panel and the color is not a great match (despite ordering the same color code).

1 hour ago, Chargum85 said:

Pics.  Still need to get it stretched out and in place better.

carpet-1.jpg

carpet-2.jpg

carpet-3.jpg

carpet-4.jpg

carpet-5.jpg

I used this source for my new carpeting in my MJ.  I had a bigger challenge than most, in that the prevous owner had welded in the "hat sections" that are used to attached XJ seats.  That meant I had to purchase an XJ molded carpet, and then cut/trim/shape the area where it ends by the box secttion that runs across the back floor of the cab.

It took QUITE a while to fit everything.  I started by using the molded in features for those "hat sections" I mentioned above as my baseline for locating the carpet on the floor.  After that, I cut and trimmed the front first, and then worked around the floor shift and transfer case.  Since I have an XJ handbrake, and an airbag module from an XJ, those also had to be cut in.  

For the areas around stuff like the seat belt holes, seat mounting bolts, and other small features, I used a tailor's chalk to mark those spots, and then used a "hot knife" tip on my gun-type soldering iron,   It cut small and precise holes for all the stuff without a chance of slipping and having an "OOPS".

The final trimming was done on the door sills.

I don't recall doing anything special when I put XJ carpet in my 87 Chief except heating it up in the back with a heat gun so I could "mold" it to the back cab wall and throw that felt panel overtop of it. I think it looked better than original this way too. no cutting involved although I did cut up a second set of insulation pads to "flatten" the floor around the seat supports and the "uniframe rail" caps

granted most of the floor sheetmetal on the driver's side also came from the donor XJ that the 4.0, aw4, 242, dashboard (swapped in A/C with the 4.0), seats, e-brake handle setup and center console. Originally was a 2.5L 5-speed 231 truck that got electrically and structurally ruined by a leaky clutch master cylinder.

I just installed an ACC carpet in my ‘87 (As well as ACC mats) I originally had the vinyl flooring as well.

Word of advice: don’t mark the holes for the seat mounting bolts. 

I made the mistake of marking the bolt locations using my old vinyl flooring as a template.

The locations ended up being off.

When you get the carpet aligned in the cab, press down on the carpet around the bolt. It will go straight through.

4281C85E-FB81-4CBD-8822-F8F2E03E3FBD.jpeg.f7f70dc3c360e3783f8238e444d5c734.jpeg

30 minutes ago, NEO auto said:

I just installed an ACC carpet in my ‘87 (As well as ACC mats) I originally had the vinyl flooring as well.

I made the mistake of marking the bolt locations using my old vinyl flooring as a template.

When you get the carpet aligned in the cab, press down on the carpet around the bolt. It will go straight through.

You must be a lot stronger than I am.  There was no way I could push on my carpet and manage to poke thru it in the seat studs.

11 hours ago, NEO auto said:

Man that thing is clean inside.  I don't think mine will ever be that solid until I eventually do a 97+ swap in a few years...

I also used the same carpet when I redid mine. I kind of dry fit mine just to see how it fit all the contours of the floor. It seemed close but was loose feeling. I ended up using Dynamat and then applied roll insulation for automobiles that I bought from Amazon. It built up the contours of the floor about 3/4" or so. When I put the carpet back in it fit really well. Definitely did a lot of trimming, I had enough left over to redo the bottom of my door panels. I'm happy with how it turned out. 

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, Aidenmoreno3 said:

Hey guys. gonna be buying a stock interiors carpet today and wanted to see if anyone here had any advice as to if thats the way to go or not. they seem very legit and have excellent customer service so far so I'm hoping for the best. 

there's only one manufacturer of carpets (ACC). :L:  So find whichever reseller has the best price and go for it. :D 

• 2 years later...
On 2/4/2019 at 8:33 PM, NEO auto said:

Hey @NEO auto, do you by any chance remember the colour code of that carpet? Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Busy week of Comanche repairs for us. We have had access to a heated pressure washer so my sons wanted to pull out the bench and pressure wash it. We ended up also taking out the carpet and pressure washing it as well.

The carpet is not in great shape (two mouse eaten holes, stains, etc.). Since it's out and drying, we are considering replacing the carpet with black 1/4 inch thick, self-adhesive, army surplus vinyl flooring. O The flooring doesn't stretch so I don't know how well it will mold to the floor, but the price is right... My bro-in-law, uses it as flooring in farm trucks. We are ok with a more utilitarian, functional MJ. We keep telling ourselves that the repairs only need to be as good as the rest of the truck.

Has anyone gone from carpet to a plastic flooring? If so, did you use a kit or do it yourself like we are considering?

Other considerations are that the floor has no significant rust concerns (advantage of living in a dry climate), but the wiring under the carpet has issues. The parking brake is also non existent, so considering removing the parking brake conduit from the cab floor.

IMG_20221229_100016193.jpg

IMG_20221229_102229279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221229_102235848_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221229_103146883_HDR.jpg

I think I'll go with my standard reply of "just because it's a goo deal, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea.  :dunno:  the ACC carpets/vinyls are "pre-formed" and can be a bear to get to actually conform to the floor.  I can't imagine trying something that's flat and that thick. :(  would make for good floormats though. :D