the new Jeep truck. it is what we all thought it would be.

Pete M

2 door version (if they decide to make one last minute) hell yes, I'd sell part of my vw collection to get one.  that fugly JKU shortbed thing.  all I'm gonna say is if I saw a a bunch on fire at a jeep dealer, I'd just keep on driving and not call the FD.....

2 hours ago, Old man with MJ said:

Wow what a presentation, even had a Comanche in there! Why have the taillights sticking out on the sides and not flush mounted,maybe the same JL lights?

Same as the Wrangler.  Has to do with some sort of detection system.  Lane departure, blind spot monitoring, or something like that I can't remember for sure. 

I gotta say, after watching the unveil and seeing it in Rubicon trim.........I dig it. There, I said it LOL. Obviously it is not a full-size truck by any stretch but interesting that they were very specific to say it is in the midsize truck segment to compete with the likes of the Colorado, Canyon, new Ranger and of course Yota's and the new Frontier that is coming out. 4 door pickups with small/short beds are almost all you see on the road these days in the pickup world, whether it's a midsize or full-size. So while we dream of a regular cab or extended cab version, I think we all know it probably ain't gonna happen. Maybe there's an outside shot of an extended cab long bed since it could be the same wheelbase, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They'll sell these as fast as they can build them for the first 5 yrs IMO. I also find it ironic of how many posts there have been on CC over the years saying Jeep/Chrysler missed the boat by not making a 4dr Comanche and now that there is a 4dr Jeep pickup everyone is bashing it and saying the bed is too small yada yada yada. It will hold 2 dirt bikes, it will haul a big load of mulch, plenty of firewood, a decent load of stone, trash to the dump or plenty of camping gear. It will easily tow your utility trailer or good size camper. My last new car (well, for my wife) was in 2005 and since then I've had good luck with low mileage 3-5yr old vehicle purchases so I'll have to wait 5-6yrs to let someone else depreciate one for me before I am willing to spend the money on one, but it will be on my radar. 

The least they could have done was to square off the lower, trailing corners of the doors. It looks stupid, and it's over-priced.

Which means they'll sell a gazillion of them ... to people who don't know jack about what a Jeep or a truck is really about.

They seem to have done a decent job of making an SUV with an exposed cargo area, I'll give them that much. And yes, crewcab short beds are incredibly popular among people who want to look like they have a truck but don't need one... But seriously, eleven and a half feet of wheelbase and only a five foot bed? Every other midsize crewcab shortbed has six inches more bed, and a foot less wheelbase. The Colorado crew cab long bed has fourteen inches more bed but only two inches more wheelbase than the Gladiator. I didn't bother looking it up the others because car manufacturers websites are getting really stupid. I couldn't even find dimensions on GM's normal site, and got it off the fleet marketing page, which is a place where consumers are actually looking at data on vehicles and not  ooing and ahhing over all the useless marketing fluff... Which is really telling about the manufacturers' target markets: people who just want whatever accessory will help them portray their image. 

But. Of course they're going to launch with the variant that will appeal to most consumers. Maybe down the road we'll see a 2-door long bed work truck sorta setup... maybe I'm just overly optimistic. 

I just wish they would have chosen a new name for this instead of Gladiator. As we all know, the original bares no resemblance. When I see people drinking their Frappuccino's ™ and driving these things around town, I'm not gonna be at all surprised. Call me a purist or old fashioned (or a jerk) but I like my truck to look like a truck and be sort of inconvenient, without every conceivable option and luxury. I personally don't want a back seat where my friend is going to puke on the floor. I even somewhat dislike an extended cab because it also makes a truck look weird. It's really a Grand Wrangler with a short bed. I understand that a company has to sell as many vehicles as possible to make a profit and this version will be everything for almost everyone as the Gladiator. Thank God for the Comanche.

16 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

They seem to have done a decent job of making an SUV with an exposed cargo area, I'll give them that much. And yes, crewcab short beds are incredibly popular among people who want to look like they have a truck but don't need one... But seriously, eleven and a half feet of wheelbase and only a five foot bed? Every other midsize crewcab shortbed has six inches more bed, and a foot less wheelbase. The Colorado crew cab long bed has fourteen inches more bed but only two inches more wheelbase than the Gladiator. I didn't bother looking it up the others because car manufacturers websites are getting really stupid. I couldn't even find dimensions on GM's normal site, and got it off the fleet marketing page, which is a place where consumers are actually looking at data on vehicles and not  ooing and ahhing over all the useless marketing fluff... Which is really telling about the manufacturers' target markets: people who just want whatever accessory will help them portray their image. 

But. Of course they're going to launch with the variant that will appeal to most consumers. Maybe down the road we'll see a 2-door long bed work truck sorta setup... maybe I'm just overly optimistic. 

From CNET Roadshow article

MIDSIZETRUCKS: SIZES

Model (4x4, crew cab, long bed) Wheelbase Length Width Height
Chevrolet Colorado 140.5 224.9 74.3 70.5
Ford Ranger 126.8 210.8 85.8 71.5
Jeep Gladiator 137.3 218 73.8 73.1
Nissan Frontier 139.9 219.4 72.8 70.1
Toyota Tacoma 140.6 225.5 74.4 70.6

5 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

From CNET Roadshow article

MIDSIZETRUCKS: SIZES

Model (4x4, crew cab, long bed) Wheelbase Length Width Height
Chevrolet Colorado 140.5 224.9 74.3 70.5
Ford Ranger 126.8 210.8 85.8 71.5
Jeep Gladiator 137.3 218 73.8 73.1
Nissan Frontier 139.9 219.4 72.8 70.1
Toyota Tacoma 140.6 225.5 74.4 70.6

That list is comparing apples and oranges. It neglects the fact the Gladiator isn't a crewcab long bed like the rest in the list. The short beds are all right around where the Ranger is, which incidentally isn't available as a crewcab longbed, so the quoted figure is the same configuration as the Gladiator. However it's smaller in every dimension except width which is so far from norm on that data set that I'm not convinced it's accurate; either a typo or it's including mirrors while the others don't, or something. 

Wasn't trying to debate you gogmorgo, just thought I'd post the dimensions of the trucks in that segment. That said, I don't think it's apples to oranges by any stretch though, maybe oranges to tangerines..........same family, slight differences. The Gladiator has the largest interior volume, and my guess is the short bed is to help keep it a Jeep....short overhangs to aid in off-road ability and utility value. None of the pictures so far depict the vehicle being used as a working truck, they are all tied in to the outdoor lifestyle of the true Jeep enthusiast. While Jeep will always say that is their target market, they also know it will be a pavement queen for lots of people and a status statement and IMO there's no doubt there counting on a lot of those sales to make it profitable.  

16 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I'm warming up to it.  lots of neat goodies here and there.  but the price, cab, and engine choice still remain.  :(  maybe in a couple years...

Most of those "goodies" are things that I don't need or want -- and that will be standard equipment, so I would have to pay for things I would hate. I don't want or need a removable soft top. I don't want or need a 8- (or any-) speed automatic transmission. I don't want or need electronic, seven thousand mode off-road drive options. Give me a 5- or 6-speed manual transmission, a 242 transfer case with a manual shift lever, a decent radio with a CD/DVD player, and the diesel engine. Removable roof panels are potential leaks. I want a real roof over my head.

Not interested. The more I see of it, the less I like it.

Mopar version is no doubt $80-90K........all the goodies, as you say. 

Stripped version, base will be $60K

Chrysler is not, has never been, known for their transmissions........7600lbs is pure BS long term. 

And, regardless, it's a JL.

Bed size is the same as my Frontier, it's worthless as a 'truck',  nothing to brag about. 

JT is for guys with money and small........well, you know.