Left headlights on a few times. Dead Batt

I have left headlights on a few times and drained the battery.  Has anyone replaced the headlight switch with a newer one that turns lights off or at least buzzes?  If so, what did you replace it with?   I have an 87 and an 89 Comanche.  Hope something works for both.

There was a factory option for what they called (IIRC) "headlight sentinal" in 1988. I ordered it on my '88 XJ. But it doesn't turn off the lights if you forget to turn off the switch. The way it works is that if you turn off the ignition first, and then turn off the headlight switch, the lights stay on for one (or three?) minute(s), giving you time to get to the door. The headlights on my 2000 XJs work the same way, so a newer switch won't do what I think you're looking to accomplish.

20 minutes ago, Eagle said:

There was a factory option for what they called (IIRC) "headlight sentinal" in 1988. I ordered it on my '88 XJ. But it doesn't turn off the lights if you forget to turn off the switch. The way it works is that if you turn off the ignition first, and then turn off the headlight switch, the lights stay on for one (or three?) minute(s), giving you time to get to the door. The headlights on my 2000 XJs work the same way, so a newer switch won't do what I think you're looking to accomplish.

That's the delay option.

There should be a buzzer chime module on the fuse box.  The buzzer goes off if:  1) you leave your lights on when you turn off the engine, 2) you have not buckled your seat belt, or 3) you left your keys in the ignition switch when you open the door.

I've been pulling the buzzers on my Jeeps cause they're so obnoxious. It doesn't cause any problems to have them missing, so I imagine I'm not the only one who can't stand it. Plus having the buzzer never stopped me from leaving lights on, or keys in the ignition, or anything. When the same alarm means a ton of things, half of which I do deliberately on a regular basis, you really just start ignoring it, until you're trying to diagnose issues with a hack wiring job on the door speakers which means you need to have the door open with the key on, and the buzzer just makes your head want to explode.

1 hour ago, Manche757 said:

I have left headlights on a few times and drained the battery.  Has anyone replaced the headlight switch with a newer one that turns lights off or at least buzzes?  If so, what did you replace it with?   I have an 87 and an 89 Comanche.  Hope something works for both.

As stated, there will be a blue or black buzzer box installed on your fuse block. If black, there is no "HEADLAMPS ON" buzzer. Only the blue box has this function. Of course, if someone has removed the box, you will have to install one to get the lights on buzzer. Here's a pic of the blue box:

FuseBlock1.jpg.7ded5085b5dd2a2b488f9996bbd5ccf6.jpg

1 hour ago, 87MJTIM said:

That's the delay option.

Understood. That's what he asked about.

I have left headlights on a few times and drained the battery. 

Has anyone replaced the headlight switch with a newer one that turns lights off or at least buzzes? 

There's a visual indicator that the lights are on if you walk by either the front or back of the Jeep.

If you're turning your lights on during the day and thus forgetting to turn them off, you might want to just get a generic DRL (daytime running light) module and install that instead of turning the lights on.  There's also a factory DRL module I believe.

2 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

Thanks.

However, you did not drag the BOLD over far enough  "or at least buzzes."

Because the buzzer is not part of the switch, and had already been answered by other members.

The point is that the later model headlight switch does not provide automatic operation, which is what he was aksing about.

If you wanted to be lazy, but save your self. Put a  standard relay to your light switch that gets energized only with the key on. yes you would only be able to have lights on if your ignition is on. At that point you leave lights on as, soon as you pull the key all off. You can also get a delay switch connected to a standard relay. it will keep energized for up to 5 minutes after you turn off.

10 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Getting back to the OP's original question, the only PnP stock option for a "Headlights On" alarm (buzzer) is to install the 7-pin blue color chime module, p/n 22514857, on the fuse block. They were still available (at least they were last year) from the stealer. It also has has SF8956001076 (AMC p/n) written on the side. But it's easy and cheaper to find at the yard, make sure you pull the one with the blue case and seven pins. Most all 94 and up XJ's had them. I have a bunch of them - if you need shoot me a PM.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYjPogyUiUpLRLSQUH3w8

Classic yuk-yuk faux pas. Yes, the  visual indicator works great at night, buy only sometimes during the day. Unfortunately in some states, in some counties, when it's raining in the daytime, the local law requires drivers to turn their headlamps on. Rain stops, drive home, headlamps still on, park in the garage, walk away, don't eyeball the headlamps, night falls, crap happens. I'm sure you can envision this happening. The buzzer prevents this. Cheap protection for us not so vigilant drivers. As I'm sure you are Dirty.   :roflmao:

Connecticut is another state that requires headlights when it's raining or when "visibility is impaired" (which I suppose means fog or smoke). The buzzer in my '88 XJ stopped working a few years ago, and I've gotten zapped a couple of times because I forgot I had them on.

I used to just always drive with my headlights on, no matter the weather. The main advantage to this was that turning them off again at the end of the trip was just part of my normal shut-down sequence, and I was rarely caught out, but it also meant I didn't get caught out by sudden decreases in visibility, and also when my headlight switch set itself on fire it was during the day and with fairly reasonable weather, so I had no issues pulling the instrument cluster to blow it out. For me it's also more about being seen than it is to see. Because DRL's are required here, I've caught myself a couple times assuming a car with no lights on isn't moving, and the little orange parking lights many manufacturers aren't always enough. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, HOrnbrod said:

As stated, there will be a blue or black buzzer box installed on your fuse block. If black, there is no "HEADLAMPS ON" buzzer. Only the blue box has this function. Of course, if someone has removed the box, you will have to install one to get the lights on buzzer. Here's a pic of the blue box:

FuseBlock1.jpg.7ded5085b5dd2a2b488f9996bbd5ccf6.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I have a slightly different question about this buzzer box. The buzzer box in my truck is black.

I thought I was being a hero by replacing my door pins and fixing my interior lights. Well, interior lights are fixed but now the stupid buzzer goes off anytime the drivers door is open. Doesn't matter if the key is in the ignition or not.

Is it supposed to?

LH Door Jamb Switch is a dual (two wire) switch to ground. One for lamps, one for buzzer. Technically speaking buzzer shouldn't work with the KEY OUT. I think removing wire from C276_B might shut off buzzer. Not sure what it will do for the Headlights ON buzz (doesn't seem to be tied into it). If you try this, let us know.

1672592456_C276LHDoorJambSwitch.jpg.3340b8758ad6e189c07ba332927fc2ae.jpg