One Week Anniversary Today

HOrnbrod

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I smoked off and on in different stages of my life.  The on stages lasted years.  I always quit cold turkey.  At one point, I had been off for nearly 5 years.  Was at a Marine Corps Birthday Ball celebration and was offered a cigar.  What could it hurt?  Plus I didn't want to seem ungrateful to be offered an expensive cigar, right?  I was smoking again two days later and it lasted for 10 years.  I quit again in 2012.  Now I guard it.  I am addicted to cigarettes like alcoholics are addicted to alcohol.  When someone offers me a cigar, I flatly refuse and tell them why.  Usually they are very supportive, which of course is a welcome surprise.  I still occasionally have an urge, but as someone stated before, it quickly passes.  It doesn't bother me to be around it, although some who quit are bothered to be around it.  If you are, don't be afraid to speak up or remove yourself from the situation.

Congratulations on your achievement!  You are past the hard part.

PS, I'm also addicted to Jeeps, but that's ok.

One of my best hunting buddies had smoked cigarettes for nearly 40 years( in the garage, away from his wife). Finally when all his kids left the house, he realized how little time he was spending with his wife because he was always smoking. So he quite Cigarettes, went without a smoke for probably a good 3 months. Then picked up Cigars(i don't know if they are worse or better, no clue?) but since he quit smoking cigarettes, hes found that we are all more social with him during pheasant camp, he can spend more time with us, he feels better, and can spend more time with his wife. Keep it up! Think of how many more jeep parts you can buy instead of packs of smokes!

Kudo's HOrnbrod!!! 

I chewed Skoal for 27 years and during my last year of rubbing, I kept asking God to please make me sick the next time I grabbed a pinch. Well never happened. So a friend of mine told me to try vaping. I told her, that !@#$ won't work. Then a couple of months later, I went in for my yearly physical and my doctor said to me, if you don't soon quit chewing, you are going to loose your teeth. A couple more months went by and I just tried vaping. Not more than 4 days later, I found a fresh tin of Skoal and even without thinking, I put my Vape pen in between my legs and ripped open that can of freshly tasting Skoal Spearmint. Not more that one mile down the road, I was nearly puking. Out that pinch went and that new can of Skoal. that was 2.5 years ago. I can not even stand the scent of Skoal now.

When I told my doctor that I gave up chewing tobacco and began vaping, he gave me 2 thumbs up. I asked him, what he thought? He then told me, that vaping is the cleanest and best form of nicotine intake, available currently and he then said, did you know that chewing tobacco is addiction is worse than a heroin addiction. I was blown away with that summary.

I still vape, at 6mg but when I first started I was vaping 18mg.

Thanks all for sharing - good stuff from everyone. We all have our personal battles to fight in our own way. Personally still have a long way still to go, but coming up on three weeks mañana - not that I'm counting.  :grinyes:  Really appreciate everyone's comments and input - thanks again. Lots of good guys here on CC.  

• 4 weeks later...

In the 60s my Dad raised tobacco. I worked in it some in my early and mid teens. Nasty stuff. Worms about the size of your ring finger would eat holes in the leaves. The plants were sprayed with insecticide. One day around age 14, I read what was printed on the bag of the dry contents that would be mixed with water. More than 50 years later I rember what was printed: Arsenic Lead. When the bag is empty, burn the bag and bury the residue.

The early 60s was when I started smoking, and quit on July 9th this year. That's about 1-1/2 months ago, and I'm still hanging. It's not easy, but I don't see myself ever doing it again. And yes, being around people smoking does bother me, probably always will.

5 minutes ago, shelbyluvv said:

I quit smoking 7 years ago and gave up Copenhagen 5 years ago. I don't touch either now.

Don, congratulations! Keep at it brother. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and your family.

Thanks Bo. I'll always be a Joe Sixpack though. Lots of vitamins and minerals you know.  :beerchug:

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

The early 60s was when I started smoking, and quit on July 9th this year. That's about 1-1/2 months ago, and I'm still hanging. It's not easy, but I don't see myself ever doing it again. And yes, being around people smoking does bother me, probably always will.

:banana:

On 8/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, Manche757 said:

How many of you that quit smoking are still not smoking?

Still not smoking after about 40 years.  Started when 15 years old, quit (for the final time) at 33 years old.  1 to 2 packs per day. 

22 hours ago, Keyav8r said:

If Don says he’s done - he’s done.  We Olde Pharts hold ourselves accountable.

My addiction was caffeine. I gave up smoking long ago enough that I absolutely don't miss it, but I cannot tolerate second-hand cigarette smoke. One whiff about makes me puke.

But then came caffeine. I stopped drinking coffee when I was around 35, and that worked for awhile, until one summer I was working a project that was a 100-mile trip each way, and I made multiple stops enroute to fill up a new, large size Diet Coke. It got to where I told people my Jeeps were fueled by Diet Coke.

And then, at 70 years of age, came the heart operation followed by severe atrial fibrilation (wacky heartbeat, in layman's terms). My cardiologist laid down the law -- no more caffeine. So I quit. These days, if I feel the need for a cola drink I have to get non-caffeine varieties. Too bad for McDonald's -- Burger King has caffeine-free Diet Coke, but Mickey D's doesn't. The worst part about no caffeine is that chocolate (the fourth major food group) contains caffeine -- the darker the chocolate, the more caffeine. eek.gif

At one point I asked the cardiologist if I really had to avoid chocolate. He said "Well, there isn't a lot of caffeine in chocolate. The only way to know is to try it." So I ate a couple of Hershey's Kisses. Two days later I was in the hospital for a cardioversion (That's electric shock to jolt the heart back to a normal rhythm. It's -- not fun. It takes a couple of weeks for the burn marks to fade away.) Okay, then -- no more chocolate. As John Wayne said, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

Good work, Don. Stay the course.

Eagle - I have a much milder version of your caffeine induced heart problem.  If I have a little too much caffeine my heartbeat goes irregular.  Like thump, thump, thump..............................thump, thump......thump............thump, thump......thump, etc.  Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened at night.  I laid there listening to it and finally decided if I die, I die - gotta get some sleep.  I used to drink a lot of coffee at work because we have a commercial coffeemaker that’s always full.  Doctor said no more caffeine.  Now I have less than a cup in the morning at home, then decaf at work.  Seems to be working so far as I don’t notice any irregularity.  Been off colas and tea for a long time, but just can’t quit chocolate.  I suppose the ticker will tell me when I need to quit that.