• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, kryptronic said:

I started vaping a couple weeks back in an effort to cut down on cigarettes.  I was inspired by this post as well.  

Kryptro,

Its  admirable that you are moving in the right direction.  What's yer goal?  Cut down or drive it all the way home?  We can't be losing those that are highly thought of.

36 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Kryptro,

Its  admirable that you are moving in the right direction.  What's yer goal?  Cut down or drive it all the way home?  We can't be losing those that are highly thought of.

Thanks for that.  I want to quit cigarettes altogether, and using vaping as a way toward that goal.  I'm dependent on, and psychologically and physically addicted to every aspect of cigarettes.  I'm slowly coming to the realization that I need to cut the cigarettes out pretty much cold turkey because one leads to another every time.  I've decided I don't really want to die early of a heart attack or cancer.  Cigarettes aren't worth that price, and I've realized at some point I will be paying that price.  This thread is inspiring to me.  No offense to Don, but if he can do it, why can't I?

17 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

Thanks for that.  I want to quit cigarettes altogether, and using vaping as a way toward that goal.  I'm dependent on, and psychologically and physically addicted to every aspect of cigarettes.  I'm slowly coming to the realization that I need to cut the cigarettes out pretty much cold turkey because one leads to another every time.  I've decided I don't really want to die early of a heart attack or cancer.  Cigarettes aren't worth that price, and I've realized at some point I will be paying that price.  This thread is inspiring to me.  No offense to Don, but if he can do it, why can't I?

I like the way you think. You can do it once you decide.  Damage done of course, but you might want to know that 10 years after you quit most damaged lungs are restored. In the mean time switch to the nastiest brand you hate and you will want fewer.  No menthol; those are more damaging.

57 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

You can do it once you decide.

My attempts at quitting has always ended in failure. I'm still good for a pack a day. I did learn one thing though, quitting is a two step process.
First step: Quit your own cigarettes.
Second step: Quit other peoples cigarettes.

17 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

My attempts at quitting has always ended in failure.

Maybe next time it won't.  Your putting it out there indicates some growing determination.

I note the name you chose for yourself.  Is that after Georg Simon Ohm and his work?   

{\displaystyle \Omega ={\dfrac {\text{V}}{\text{A}}}={\dfrac {1}{\text{S}}}={\dfrac {\text{W}}{{\text{A}}^{2}}}={\dfrac {{\text{V}}^{2}}{\text{W}}}={\dfrac {\text{s}}{\text{F}}}={\dfrac {{\text{J}}{\cdot }{\text{s}}}{{\text{C}}^{2}}}={\dfrac {{\text{kg}}{\cdot }{\text{m}}^{2}}{{\text{s}}{\cdot }{\text{C}}^{2}}}={\dfrac {\text{J}}{{\text{s}}{\cdot }{\text{A}}^{2}}}={\dfrac {{\text{kg}}{\cdot }{\text{m}}^{2}}{{\text{s}}^{3}{\cdot }{\text{A}}^{2}}}}

volt (V), ampere (A), siemens (S), watt (W), second (s), farad (F), joule (J), kilogram (kg), metre (m), and coulomb (C).

Yea, the unit of resistances. But when it comes to quitting cigarettes, I show continuity to ground (0 Ω's).

19 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Your putting it out there indicates some growing determination.

Best I can do is quit every night (no joke intended here). Their my lungs, they don't belong to the tobacco company.

I really can't give any good valid reason why I quit so suddenly. It was on a typical morning after another particularly miserable night of hacking. I had not been planning it or set a date to quit, it just happened. I was trying to enjoy my usual morning coffee between hacks, and just thought to myself "WTF am I doing this? What's the point?"

Put the cig out, grabbed the two cartons I always had stashed in reserve, and trashed them, along with all the ashtrays I could find in the immediate area. I mean trashed them out in the trash can, out of sight forever so I wouldn't be tempted again.

Why this "revelation" happened on that particular morning of July 9, 2018 I have no clue. A day like any other. It just happened and I've been cig-free since and am confident I'll stay that way. There were a few shaky spots in the 2nd and 3rd weeks after quitting when the hacking became almost unbearable, especially at night, but I got through it somehow. I not even close to 100%, that will take several more years, but now I can almost jog out to the mailbox and back just getting slightly winded instead of having a near-cardiac event.

Why the will to quit occurred on that particular day I have no clue, but I'm ecstatic it did. I hope the same thing happens to you guys. It's really quite pleasant sleeping through some of the nights w/o the hourly hacking spells and the horrible shortness of breath episodes. Doesn't happen every night, but I fully expect it will eventually. Go for it!

Haven’t really started looking yet and I’m not in a rush to get one right now.

I’ll be transitioning to a part-time work schedule after the first of the year.  I had planned on retiring outright but they don’t have a replacement to manage my division and the brothers I work for made it attractive to work a couple of days a week.  I think they just want to keep my name on the roster to keep our suppliers from freaking out.

With the reduced schedule I’ll have time to look for another MJ and hopefully find one I can use to commute until I can wean my bosses.  

I was really hoping the “Gladiator” would be a somewhat worthy substitute for my MJ, but that ain’t happening!

1 hour ago, Keyav8r said:

I was really hoping the “Gladiator” would be a somewhat worthy substitute for my MJ, but that ain’t happening!

I hear ya. Our JK was going to be traded in for a new "Gladiator" too, and that ain't happening either. If I come across a worthy auto MJ I give you a holler Fred.

8 hours ago, chicofuentes0224x2 said:

Awesome DOn!

Proud of you man!

I'll try this Monday then I guess...

Honestly, $600 bucks a month would make it a lot easier for me to afford all the darn parts I would need if I'm going to join this group again!

Well worth the effort Chico. And saving some bucks is an added benefit too. Go for it mate..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

x 2.

Manche757, thanks for bring this thread to the top.

Think I will try to share this thread with my son.  He did not smoke till his Iraq tour of duty in 2004.  He was 28 at that point.  Still has that filthy habit.  Damn, it has been 15 years soon.  How time passes!