NEW MJ Fuel Sending Units

OK folks, I found out some great news on where and how to get ahold of a NEW sending unit for our MJs.  First off, my unit was totally fried. I did countless hours/days searching online and calling 100's of places, no luck. I did manage to find a few places that offer cleaning and/or rewiring the original. Prices usually started around $75.00 for just a cleaning, upwards of almost $200.00 for rewrapping the windings. But lucky me, go to your local auto parts store and buy the Delphi HP10147/CHP10147 fuel pump assembly. It is a complete hanger assembly, pump/hanger/filter sock/ and a NEW fuel sending unit. It's for the XJ's, so the hanger will not work on our MJ's---but the sending unit will. Need to grind off 2 rivets, save the little spacers (will need to use them to mount the unit onto your hanger). I used 2 metric stainless steel screws, 4 flat washers, 2 "O" ring lock washers and 2 poly lock nuts to mount it. The pump assembly costs $71.00 + tax. Where else can you buy a NEW fuel sending unit for that price? Plus, you can always sell the hanger and the pump to recover some of your money. The pump is listed for '87-90 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0, specs read as; Max. Press. 73psi, System Press. 36psi, Average Flow Rate 32gph.  Sending unit readings are; Resistance Ohms Empty-1.0, Resistance Ohms Full-90.0.  For those of you that have either gotten ahold of sending unit that reads backwards or have changed out your fuel gauge only to have it read it backwards, try this---flip the sending unit over. The top becomes the bottom and you will have to modify/bend the float arm a bit. You will also need to lengthen the feed wire for the sending unit. I know the "flip" works, did it in mine and it works like a champ. I bought the wrong assembly my first time around (Delphi-HP10148/CHP10148). It has the correct pump for our MJ's running either the 2.5 or 4.0 with tbi injected engines. I found this out after the fact. 

When you are referring to a "sending unit " that is just the fuel gauge  sender that you are using  . I'm just saying this so no one goes out and thinks that this will be a bolt on affair ( the fuel tank baffles ) . 

You can purchase an H.O or Renix fuel XJ sending unit and harvest the fuel gauge sender so the gauge  will not read backwards. 

The operating pressure of the renix 2.5 is around 17 PSI and the 4.0 is 31-39 PSI . The Walbro pump has the correct specs although some people say you can run the same in both ... 

Good write up though ! 

Here's some part numbers and specs for the fuel pumps that I have found available from Autozone (through Delphi) prices included. Prices are current in Topeka, Ks., may be higher or lower in some areas, I don't know.

Replacement Fuel Pump (no strainer, nothing but the pump and O-ring seal for the lock ring)

CFE-0054

List Price--$78.99

System Pressure-17 psi, Flow Rate-28 gph, Maximum Pressure-58 psi

HP10147/CHP10147 (complete hanger assembly, sending unit/pump/strainer/hanger/lock ring and seal)

List Price-$71.99

System Pressure-36 psi, Flow Rate-32 gph, Maximum Pressure-73 psi

Ohms EMPTY-1.0, Ohms FULL-90.0

HP10148/CHP10148 (complete as in HP10147)

List Price-$71.99

System Pressure-29 psi, Flow Rate-26 gph, Maximum Pressure-73 psi

Ohms EMPTY-105.0, Ohms FULL-5.0

The photos below are showing how I managed to make a "backward" reading sending unit work in my MJ. I used the sending unit from the Delphi HP10148 fuel pump hanger assembly. I spent less than $75.00 the pump assembly, but it was a lot cheaper than having my original sending unit rebuilt, around $200. I did have to make a longer feed wire for the sending unit, the connector is now on the bottom instead of on top. Found out afterwards that I would not have had to do all the extra work (support plate for the float arm pivot point, wiring) if I would have used the HP10147 sending unit instead. I did not know the HP10147 existed until 2 days later. Live and learn

20180708_125509.jpg

20180708_130408.jpg

20180708_131040.jpg

20180710_195847.jpg

20180710_195938.jpg

• 3 months later...

Saw this posted on one of the FB groups. More confirmation of a sending unit replacement.

"Feels good to have a gas gauge that reads full and no more leaking gas or smell when I fill up! Replaced my leaking sending unit and gas tank with spectra fuel tank part #JP5A and sending unit part #CHP10148. This fuel tank has no pan in the bottom and the sending unit is for an xj. Direct bolt/drop in. Gas gauge reads correctly too. This worked for my 1991. Renix owners will need to use sending unit part #CHP10147 per my research. Scored them both from autozone for $140."

• 2 weeks later...

I posted to another thread,  but as this one is newer and very much on topic, I thought I would try here as well. Hope that is sporting.

My problem is that my assembly is leaking gas where either the tubes or the wires go though the disk (that locks into the tank). The other discussion had a broken link to instructions on how to fix that, but the link is bad. A link to said instructions or even a suggestion on how to search for them would be greatly appreciated.

For what it is worth, the other thread is here: https://comancheclub.com/topic/11031-fuel-pump-assembly/?tab=comments#comment-105684

Thanks!

The reason these leak is normally a bad o-ring under the plate, and/or the push nut that holds the rubber wire seal is loose or has fallen off. Either is a fairly easy fix but of course you have to pull the sender out of the tank to find out the cause.

Thanks for the question and suggestion. Added a sig. If I did that right, we should see

1989 Pioneer short bed

Original 4.0 nearing 300K miles

5-speed upgraded from BA 10/5 to AX-15 in '08

Bought new and still driven most days

twice.

4 hours ago, ramtough6 said:

Does anyone know if Wildman is still rebuilding the units and if so, does anyone have his information. 

Whoa....there's a name we haven't seen or heard from in forever and a day......

anyone still ill in touch with him?  It would be good to hear how he's been doing.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:48 AM, Tsalagi said:

Saw this posted on one of the FB groups. More confirmation of a sending unit replacement.

"Feels good to have a gas gauge that reads full and no more leaking gas or smell when I fill up! Replaced my leaking sending unit and gas tank with spectra fuel tank part #JP5A and sending unit part #CHP10148. This fuel tank has no pan in the bottom and the sending unit is for an xj. Direct bolt/drop in. Gas gauge reads correctly too. This worked for my 1991. Renix owners will need to use sending unit part #CHP10147 per my research. Scored them both from autozone for $140."

Sorry just learning how to quote on this forum. Meant to quote this in my above post.

Thanks for the update TexanEliminator. If I understand your post correctly, that combination of tank and sending assembly, while not listed as for an MJ, worked for you. And this is because the tank does not have an internal plate, so the sending assembly can go in even if shorter?

Thanks!

On 11/7/2018 at 8:41 PM, mjeff87 said:

Whoa....there's a name we haven't seen or heard from in forever and a day......

anyone still ill in touch with him?  It would be good to hear how he's been doing.

Buffalo Bob last posted here February 28, 2010. I saw a couple of posts long after that from another member who knows him in Buffalo...

Sure would like to know how he's doing too....

12 hours ago, Alan C said:

Thanks for the update TexanEliminator. If I understand your post correctly, that combination of tank and sending assembly, while not listed as for an MJ, worked for you. And this is because the tank does not have an internal plate, so the sending assembly can go in even if shorter?

Thanks!

From what I’ve gathered, the pickup tube on the xj sender faces towards the front of the truck vs the rear facing mj sender. The assembly also does not reach as far toward the center of the tank meaning it will hit the pan and not seat properly. The tank without the pan eliminates this problem.

This is the problem I am having, and  I am proceeding as per this very helpful discussion. I have searched in vain for even a used assembly, but I am still keeping an eye out for one. Here's my plan of attack:

1) Take the unit out, inspect it, particularly the push nut on the wire seal. If it looks ok, tighten the push nut and maybe add some epoxy and put it back together with a new O-ring. (H0rnbrod's suggestion). I found a NOS Mopar O-ring and NAPA had one, too.

2) If I find something bad, try to harvest parts like the wire seal from the equivalent XJ assembly that one can get but won't work for the MJ. I have a Spectra Premium one and have ordered the Delphi version mentioned in mrmel2you's post.

3) If parts from the XJ version won't work and I find a used one, give that a try.

4)  If that fails, I will try the Delphi assembly with the JP5A tank TexanEliminator mentioned. I have ordered the tank. I can imagine that without an internal pan the fuel pump assembly will fit in the tank, but the question I haven't resolved is if one should be sure that the end of the assembly is on the bottom of the tank. Did you check that, TexanEliminator?

• 1 month later...

Hi, All,

An update- I went with option 4 after the rest didn't work. My mechanic tried fixing my sending unit, but that did not work as it seemed the meta was fatigued. So far everything works well. Thanks, TexanEliminator!

The one thing that seems strange is they had to swap the wires on the fuel pump. The mechanic tested it and got bubbles, but the swap fixed that. The plug fit, but somehow the voltage to the pump was backwards.

Just got it back this evening, but it seems fine. Will post any update.  Thanks, All!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I replaced my fuel pump, the entire sending units are no longer available apparently? 

My issue now after it was reinstalled is its leaking fuel from the center yellow electrical inlet which seems a little loose, without taking it back off yet and playing around with it, does anyone know if this an easy repair othumbnail_IMG-5736.jpg.330262baf4ff6724454ca6e5a364d806.jpgr require me to look for used one somewhere?

1 hour ago, Monte721 said:

Hello, I replaced my fuel pump, the entire sending units are no longer available apparently? 

My issue now after it was reinstalled is its leaking fuel from the center yellow electrical inlet which seems a little loose, without taking it back off yet and playing around with it, does anyone know if this an easy repair othumbnail_IMG-5736.jpg.330262baf4ff6724454ca6e5a364d806.jpgr require me to look for used one somewhere?

I don't know about repairing that connector but MTS makes new sending units for our truck. Providing yours is not a 91 or 92 that is

1 hour ago, The86manche said:

I don't know about repairing that connector but MTS makes new sending units for our truck. Providing yours is not a 91 or 92 that is

they say they are working on HO units. :L: