NEW MJ Fuel Sending Units

I'm using the MTS pump and replacement sending unit.

The only issue I had was how the pump is held onto the sending unit assembly. I was able to overcome the issue with 2 hose clamps

Pump-S.jpg.1bb61cb17fab3386f493aa6d6e0ddbe2.jpg

Other thank that is was bolt in as is and works great!

If I don't use the hose clamps the pump falls off/pushes itself off the output hose (fuel to engine).

With the clamps all is good.

I think the stock assembly has some kind of metal loop/keeper assembly that hold the top of the pump in place, sadly the MTS one doesn't have that part.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. But after closer look, I may have a Cherokee sending unit that I pulled out of it, it has the straight fuel line inputs on the outside and looks to be shaped a little differently. I'm wondering if the entire tank and unit was replaced at somepoint. Are there any indicators on the outside of the tank if its for a comanche or cherokee so I know which sending unit to replace with?

11 minutes ago, Monte721 said:

Thanks, will keep that in mind. But after closer look, I may have a Cherokee sending unit that I pulled out of it, it has the straight fuel line inputs on the outside and looks to be shaped a little differently. I'm wondering if the entire tank and unit was replaced at somepoint. Are there any indicators on the outside of the tank if its for a comanche or cherokee so I know which sending unit to replace with?

The Cherokee one is quite different because it goes into the top of the tank on them.  Likewise the Cherokee tank is a totally different shape (it goes behind the rear axle).  A Cherokee sender does not fit in a Comanche tank without some significant surgery, and a Cherokee tank doesn't fit where the Comanche tank is.  Sooooo, I'd say it probably isn't.

11 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

The Cherokee one is quite different because it goes into the top of the tank on them.  Likewise the Cherokee tank is a totally different shape (it goes behind the rear axle).  A Cherokee sender does not fit in a Comanche tank without some significant surgery, and a Cherokee tank doesn't fit where the Comanche tank is.  Sooooo, I'd say it probably isn't.

Maybe later cherokees had top mounted fuel pumps but the ones up until 96 were similar as they mounted more to the side of the tank.

You're right about the tank itself though but there's quite a few people who have put cherokee senders into mj tanks. The biggest problem most seem to discover is the xj sender is shorter and won't sit to the bottom of the tank qnd other times it's just the orientation of the metal lines for the sender need tweaking.

So there is a possibility that there could be a cherokee sender in there.

OK, its certainly side mounted towards the top. Theres no indication of any major modifications to the tank. If it was an xj tank and I got a replacement mj sending unit thats supposed to be in there, that would not work? From reading other posts and because  It looks like a slightly different shape, it sounds like it could be modified but instead of getting to that, I'm wondering if theres any exterior indicators of what the tank is, I can't seem to find any. 

xj.jpg

mj.jpg

Here's some pics of my gas tank with the new pump sending unit assembly installed in the Jeep (well mostly, there was some in and out and adjusting of the tank straps and is why the E brake bracket is hanging)

Tank_In_MJ.jpg.127bd04310a4df29b34a8a52b19ed058.jpg

Here's the new tank on the bench before it went in

Tank_on_Bench_MJ.jpg.0daa3f63142fd7dfc955224e6182599a.jpg

Here's the original tank without the pump sending unit assembly

Tank_old_Pulled_MJ.jpg.d3cc964f6816bf4b7a68226787f5acba.jpg

Hopefully these pics help you identify your tank.

this is the 18 Gal tank

5 hours ago, Big_Mark said:

Here's some pics of my gas tank with the new pump sending unit assembly installed in the Jeep (well mostly, there was some in and out and adjusting of the tank straps and is why the E brake bracket is hanging)

Tank_In_MJ.jpg.127bd04310a4df29b34a8a52b19ed058.jpg

Here's the new tank on the bench before it went in

Tank_on_Bench_MJ.jpg.0daa3f63142fd7dfc955224e6182599a.jpg

Here's the original tank without the pump sending unit assembly

Tank_old_Pulled_MJ.jpg.d3cc964f6816bf4b7a68226787f5acba.jpg

Hopefully these pics help you identify your tank.

this is the 18 Gal tank

Thanks! At first I thought it looks like the same tank, but I'm pretty sure mines not 18 gallons (Its possible the float arm was short and there was always more fuel in there than I thought). The MTS agent thought mine is a smaller aftermarket tank one with a XJ sending unit. I hate to ask a favor but do you have rough outer dimensions of your 18 gallon? My tank is 30"x17" at the squared lip x roughly 12" tall with the FSU hole pretty much in the middle (aftermarket xj and mj tanks look offcentered) 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:53 AM, The86manche said:

Maybe later cherokees had top mounted fuel pumps but the ones up until 96 were similar as they mounted more to the side of the tank.

You're right about the tank itself though but there's quite a few people who have put cherokee senders into mj tanks. The biggest problem most seem to discover is the xj sender is shorter and won't sit to the bottom of the tank qnd other times it's just the orientation of the metal lines for the sender need tweaking.

So there is a possibility that there could be a cherokee sender in there.

You got me there, I was thinking about newer ones for some reason.  Probably because I've been trying to rid my life of steel gas tanks.

Fyi the weld seams seem to vary in length drastically on some new tanks compared to old. This I've noticed with xj as well over the years. It makes for strap differences an issue too since aftermarket seem shorter than oem making for even tougher fittament. I take a mallet and bend the seems around strap area and lengthen j hook adjustments. If I recall correctly, I may have had to do this on both sides for mj in the past. It has always fixed any issues installing for me in the past using oem or aftermarket straps.

Thanks for that, I believe thats close enough to mine that its probably the same and roughly the same capacity. I'm thinking what happened was a previous owner stuck an xj sending unit in it so the gage is a little off and shows empty with several gallons left in the tank if that makes sense. I ended up ordering both sending units and will try the mj one out first and if it doesnt work will stick the xj one back in it and call it good. Thanks for all the responses.