Factory front winch mount

Actually looking at my own picture this set may have brackets welded on. I may be wrong about the old style not having the bracket welded on, I'll check and see from my 87 which came with hooks. The other pic was one I saved from Ebay.

That's all it was. Keep in mind that the winches were, by serious off-roader standards, "wimpy" at best -- 4,500, 5,000, and 6,000 pounds. The rock crawlers in NAXJA wouldn't even think about a winch less than 8,000 pounds. This option was from the AMC days, before Chrysler bought out AMC/Jeep. The XJ wasn't considered by AMC to be a heavy-duty truck platform, it was basically introduced as a light to medium duty SUV with 4-wheel drive capability. But the 4WD was intended primarily for "driving," not for dedicated off-roading. It was so you could take a vacation trip to New Mexico, for example, and be able to explore that fire road you found leading off the highway, or so your family could make it home from Grandma's house if there was a snow storm on Christmas Eve.

A lot of people have also complained that the factory tow hook mounts aren't strong enough to stand up to a side pull. And that's true - they don't, as more than one person has found out. But -- they weren't intended for that. I doubt very much that the engineers who designed the XJ back in 1982-83 ever thought for even a nanosecond that people would take an XJ mudding, and get it mired down to the door handles in primeval ooze.

18 hours ago, Kerry said:

Here's a picture of the older ones, I'm thinking 84-early 90's? These did not have the bumper brackets welded to them, even if the Jeep was ordered with them. I have a set of OEM 97+ brackets on one of my XJs. They did have the brackets welded on which I had to grind off because the 97+ bumper mounts differently than earlier. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The ones I’ve had for 96 or 97 were both like that but had the bumper bracket welded to them. I think I need to dig them out and look at the holes to understand better. I’m thinking that I never realized these could be moved forward 4” for this hidden kit. 

The factory winch isn't the best design in my opinion. It's good if you are looking for something era correct for restoration purposes, but the front bumper sticking out an extra 3+" and all the covers and extensions look strange. I had a guy local to me in CA design and build something simple that mounts the winch (Warn 8000) behind the front bumper/ crossmember with minimal modification. I'll be running dual electric fans. I wanted something clean where I could retain the factory look. Fairlead is the only clue that there's something behind the bumper. Here are photos of the protoype. He pulled on it for over a year with no issues.

hiddenwinch1.jpg

hiddenwinch5.jpg

The factory winch isn't the best design in my opinion. It's good if you are looking for something era correct for restoration purposes, but the front bumper sticking out an extra 3+" and all the covers and extensions look strange. I had a guy local to me in CA design and build something simple that mounts the winch (Warn 8000) behind the front bumper/ crossmember with minimal modification. I'll be running dual electric fans. I wanted something clean where I could retain the factory look. Fairlead is the only clue that there's something behind the bumper. Here are photos of the protoype. He pulled on it for over a year with no issues.

hiddenwinch1.jpg.97b9fff330a1809cdeeef579e0718b7c.jpg

hiddenwinch5.jpg.e81a3b2da9f3950434c0884191772680.jpg
Ya that and boostworks are similar and require cutting and stuff. If I was to do a hidden winch, that's how I'd go but I agree, its not for everybody.
The factory winch is just bolt on and simple I guess.

We'll see. Still waiting on parts

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wanted to follow this. Boost has had their hidden winch 'coming soon' for years. You can look up the thread on Naxja or jeepforum. I doubt it'll ever go into production so definitely interested in this. Specially if it can be modified to fit a 9k+

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Wanted to follow this. Boost has had their hidden winch 'coming soon' for years. You can look up the thread on Naxja or jeepforum. I doubt it'll ever go into production so definitely interested in this. Specially if it can be modified to fit a 9k+

I thought boostworks was selling theirs for $300-$400.... seemed reasonable

If so I'd missed the release. Their site has had the coming soon ad on it for awhile now. Gave up about 6 months ago I think. Tried emailing a few times with no reply.

Yeah. It's on the list of things I would eventually enjoy reproducing. I just don't think it's worth the $800 I'd end up paying after shipping and exchange. Then more for import duty thanks to Trump's tariffs.

• 8 months later...

So no update on this really...
More of me thinking of a plan on this stuff. I've seen a few different kits now after looking around.
And with my front crossmember from my frame stiffener kit that will go with this winch kit, I've decided to delete some pieces from it...

This kit will consist of everything on the left side of the first pic (all left and rights not shown) and the pieces right of the ruler will be deleted. The 2nd pic shows the new full width front frame tie in that can be welded or bolted in. The 3rd pic shows a backer plate for behind the front crossmember for the winch to sandwich together.

I know I need to add the 6.5"x4.5" bolt pattern for the smaller winch this is rated for. The 4.5"x10" bolt pattern is already in the front crossmember...I've had a winch bolted up to it...

Any input?3f36e41685777e45049cdf9fc195602d.jpg5ce45ec2740d3c012c824275248fbeb2.jpgfc0d1cf4ab634dd60d936324af75f4aa.jpg03e28e43d1650a2e4e1d99f4af659c96.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in hidden winch kit.

The boostwerks kit is nice but requires cutting of sheetmetal.

One thing to note is that due to design of Jeep Special Equipment hidden winch kit... Ramsey made a special winch designed for load pull from mounting feet.

I got this for my daughter's 01 XJ

IMG_4837_zpsh4dgtpdm.jpg

On 6/19/2018 at 12:01 PM, Sir Sam said:

The ones I’ve had for 96 or 97 were both like that but had the bumper bracket welded to them. I think I need to dig them out and look at the holes to understand better. I’m thinking that I never realized these could be moved forward 4” for this hidden kit. 

I got one myself Also it came out of donor 98 police pkg with hook.

20190322_134943.jpg.45642ffff3a7cadbdfc7d3921eb9e00d.jpg

It will fit on my MJ, i already tried it amd it fit perfect, there is hole on unibody frame like it suppose to be there for bolt-in mount.