Seat Mounts: Dakota 40/20/40 to stock Comanche mounting holes

Yes, they do sit about 1 1/2" higher than normal, but they also mount further back in the cab.  I'm 6' tall and I have a good 4" headroom, and more leg room than with the original seat. I like sitting a little higher.  My only problem was putting a grab bar from the drivers side back seat of a Cherokee, on the drivers side of my Comanche.  I hit my head three times before I got used to it. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6' and don't have 4" head room in a stock MJ, if i sat in my middle Dakota seat which is sitting directly on the tunnel my head would be touching the headliner.

I measured mine against my other two MJs with factory buckets, .5"-1" higher than stock, that's with the Dakota seats set a few inches lower than the console.

Could you post more pics and maybe some measurements so people can get an idea how they sit in there?

On mounting.  We bolted the seats together so everything was one-piece and then set it directly on the tunnel, moving it back until the seat backs and console lid almost touch the rear window.  That puts it further back than the stock seat and gives a lot more leg room, and with the angle of the brackets, reduces the height.  I'll see if I can get someone to take a pic of me sitting in the seat, showing the headroom.

If you go to my original post in DIY Projects there is a picture, with the console up, showing the clearance under the steering wheel, and how close the seats are to the rear window. Adequate clearance getting in and out, but I wish I could find a column shift, automatic trans, tilt steering column.

I don't get why they moved you to tech if your selling these mounts but right on.  I'm 6'4" 300lb sasquatch of a man. I love my mjs and xjs older box style, but I have only owned 1 late model xj.  For me, the difference in the cockpit is huge between box and late. My bench seat mjs kill me I can't stand to go on a long ride in them. The buckets with 3 way tilt is God's gift to green earth.  I just wish those dakota seats were factory navy blue to match that interior. My 88 olympic that I'm restoring is the same as yours and I love it.  I have never found a comanche with that color in a junkyard in ten years.  I have wanted buckets to match it factory ever since.

16 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I don't get why they moved you to tech if your selling these mounts but right on.  

I tend to do it for brand new items because no one is going to check the classifieds for custom bench seat brackets, but they might notice it in tech. :D  when they actually exist and he has some for sale, then they will definitely be moved to the appropriate forum. :thumbsup: 

I think part of the problem of the "well I'm this height and I fit" debate is that some of us are all legs or some of us are all upper body.

I think the best way to remedy this is to sit in the seat, measure from between your legs to the headliner to get an accurate and repeatable measurement for people to compare to in their trucks. 

11 hours ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

Found some seats today. They were in a '99 Dekota and the guy said I could have whatever I wanted out of it for $50. So I also got the carpet, backboard and fuel rail with 6 injectors on it. Thinking about going back for the 5speed tranny and foot pedal assembly tomorrow. 

8079086.JPG

Any chance I could have the shifter cane and the tower?

Okay, here are the measurements.  I weigh 180 pounds so consider seat compression.

Front of seat (not seated) 6" to bottom of steering wheel. 

Front of seat, with me seated normally, 31" to headliner

Buttprint in seat,  without me seated, but some compression (me leaning on the seat, but not full weight), 37" to headliner.

I hope this helps. Still no answer from Bob on when he can start these.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to leave everyone hanging, but my guy has been building a couple of cars for an upcoming car show.  I have his set for next Tuesday to make the patterns and jigs for the seat mounts and he says he will be making some up immediately just so he can relax from the pressure of building the show cars.  I'll let everyone know when they are ready to ship.