Shocks for a Smooth Ride

You are 100% right - suspension setup and ride quality is completely subjective. Just like motor oil, tires, and all the other consumable products that have been discussed here ad nauseaum. There's no way to explain the shock/spring differences, you have to experience it on your own rig with your own suspension. I'm a nit-picker on suspension and handling and have tried many brands of shocks, springs, front and rear sway bars, etc. I like OME products and yes, they are not cheap. You get what you pay for and and to me the OME stuff is worth the extra cost. Unfortunately no MJs were ever exported to Australia, so they don't make MJ specific rear shocks. So you have to experiment based on your lift setup and how you use your rig.

Definitely subjective.

More than twenty years ago, my original '88 Cherokee (which I bought new) was ready for shocks. My brother convinced me that KYB Gas-Adjusts were the best thing since sliced bread, so I bought a set. What a mistake!

I should have known not to pay any attention to my brother after the way he set up the suspension in his autocross car, but no ... like a lemming, I followed his advice. Worst shocks I ever had. They were very harsh over pavement cracks, and yet they provided almost no control over large bumps and dips. I took them out within less than six months and tossed them. I replaced them with a set of some Monroe truck shock model that was discontinued years ago, and I never looked back.

When I was in architecture school, my roommate wrecked his Datsun 240Z. He had it rebuilt, with a custom suspension. He came for a visit over summer break and let my brother and me try it. We each drove it over the exact same route. My brother swore it oversteered, I said it understeered. Glenn thought it was perfectly neutral.

Subjective.

"RC N2.0"?

Must be more to the brand name than that?

Rough Country.

You couldn't pay me to run their shocks. As it is I've been waffling on even installing the track bar I have (came with the truck, new in box). Maybe their quality has improved dramatically in the last 10 years, it's not like they're actually building their own shocks, but I just avoid the entire brand.

Yeah I don't know what their quality was years and years ago. I've seen nothing but criticism about RC and I couldn't believe they could be that bad. I decided to try their 3" kit on my DD cherokee that included the LCAs and full leaves and bought a steering stabilizer and adjustable Trac bar to go with it. It went on with ease and in about a year and a half it still rides very smooth and hasn't sagged at all. It comes with a lifetime warranty too so if it does sag or break. This XJ doesn't see trails but it is my workhorse on the farm so it does get flexed out, haul heavy loads and sees some rough terrain and held up well. Now I can't speak of what it would do on real trails and things since we don't have those in Iowa, but I'd be willing to guess it would hold up fairly well.

I put the black JK takeoffs on mine and have been happy. Theyve been on there several years with no issues. I'm suprised to hear that the red ones are the same as the black ones just painted a different color. Is there any proof of this anywhere. I assumed they would be at least valved a little differently. I have a set in storage but didnt get them until after the black ones were done and on. I'm preparing for a lift so may change to Bilsteins or OME's at that time, but I like the JKs.

No, the black JK Sahara shocks are the same p/n as the red Rubicon shocks, at least on the 2015 models. I got a set of takeoff red Rubicon shocks to upgrade my Sahara and they were the same part numbers, just a different color. The black Sport shocks are light-er duty. 

I tried the red Rubicon shocks on my MJ and they were way to stiff for me. The black Sport shocks might be better.

I put the black JK takeoffs on mine and have been happy. Theyve been on there several years with no issues. I'm suprised to hear that the red ones are the same as the black ones just painted a different color. Is there any proof of this anywhere. I assumed they would be at least valved a little differently. I have a set in storage but didnt get them until after the black ones were done and on. I'm preparing for a lift so may change to Bilsteins or OME's at that time, but I like the JKs.

Yep. JKs have worked great for me. Smoother than anything I've had. 

Hornbrod's @$$ must be super sensitive. 

Had BDS shocks on mine and wanted a softer ride and went for the RS9000XL's. They are set at 3 on the front and 1 on the rear, the ride is better than my LJ with OME shocks and thinking on switching the LJ over to the RS's. The rear of the MJ needs a little more weight for the shock, around 100lbs or towing a light trailer softens it.

How do OME shocks sit on the soft-stiff scale? All I really want is a little softer ride in town, but mostly what I'm getting from this thread is more confirmation that "my truck rides good" means very different things to different people... :D

The best way I can describe the OME shocks is that it makes the suspension feel a little more modern.  It still drives like a truck not a rough old one like it did (even when new btw).  My suspension feels great now except the gearing in that stupid factory steering box ...

• 4 months later...

Gonna revive this thread.

1 My rear shocks need replacing.

2 This thread has confused the hell out of me. :help:

3 I'm a mostly on-road driver, so smoother, less jittery is better for me. I do use the truck as a truck. Haul wood, parts, scrap, etc.

4 JK red and black shocks are the same or different? Which is better for on-road? When buying used, what models, numbers, etc. am I looking for?

Thanks,

"Clueless"

Rear: MONROE 31094    

Front: MONROE 32196

These are what I run and they are pretty darn smooth.  OP mentioned that his '89 had blue shocks, and these might very well be them.  

Oh, and these are cheap.  $16 each or something like that.

OP here. I swapped the '89's blue shocks to the '91, and while it did make the ride a little smoother, it wasn't much of a difference. The '89 kept its (relatively) soft ride. It's gotta be in the springs - the '89 seems like it has much softer springs at both the front and rear. If I push down on the front bumper of the '89 it dips a couple inches, the '91 dips about half of that. Ditto for jumping up and down in the bed and on the front bumper. I don't know if the springs on the 89 are just worn out, but there seems to be a real difference in the spring rates.

Regardless of which shocks are on which truck, the '89 has some "bounce" to it on bumps. The '91 recovers instantly.

OP here. I swapped the '89's blue shocks to the '91, and while it did make the ride a little smoother, it wasn't much of a difference. The '89 kept its (relatively) soft ride. It's gotta be in the springs - the '89 seems like it has much softer springs at both the front and rear. If I push down on the front bumper of the '89 it dips a couple inches, the '91 dips about half of that. Ditto for jumping up and down in the bed and on the front bumper. I don't know if the springs on the 89 are just worn out, but there seems to be a real difference in the spring rates.

Regardless of which shocks are on which truck, the '89 has some "bounce" to it on bumps. The '91 recovers instantly.

I guess it's not going to matter much since the shocks are just one component, out of many, that effect ride. You all have provided some good direction. Thanks

OMEs are the best for a smooth ride, but you have to pay for them.

Nitrocharger Sport 60046 for the front, 60032 for the back w. 0"-2-1/2" lift.

Would you by any chance have experience on how good they work together with their 2930 springs?

OMEs are the best for a smooth ride, but you have to pay for them.

Nitrocharger Sport 60046 for the front, 60032 for the back w. 0"-2-1/2" lift.

Would you by any chance have experience on how good they work together with their 2930 springs?

Yes. I am using these shocks with OME 930 coils (the 2930 predecessor) up front. I haven't found anything better.