Shocks for a Smooth Ride

My '91 has a pretty rough ride around town. The highway ride is better, but still on the rough side with absolutely no bounce or cushioning whatsoever - it basically feels like there isn't springs on it at all. I thought the '91 rode well until I drove the '89, which for all its problems has a very comfortable ride. Considering that their suspensions are pretty much identical I assume it has something to do with the shocks. The '91 has Monroe Sensa-Tracs with about 15,000 miles or so on them, which from my looking around are acknowledged as somewhat rough riding shocks. No idea what shocks the '89 has, but for what it's worth they are blue in color. Considering that I use the '91 basically as a car, what shocks would you guys recommend for the best possible ride at stock height?

I like the rancho 9000 series, I keep them set at 6 in front and 7 in the rear 

He's looking for a smooth ride. Ranchos are very harsh.

Try Gabriel Ultras, or Monroe OESpectrum or Reflex.

Monroe Sensa-Tracks have never been known for a rough ride. In fact, they were designed to provide a smooth ride. I've had them in my '88 XJ for many years and many thousands of miles -- they aren't rough or stiff at all. However, the Sensa-Trac line was discontinued some time ago, so despite the low miles on yours I assume they are older. It's possible they stiffened up with age.

I have Gabriel Ultras on the front of my MJ and Gabriel "load levelers" on the rear with a puck 2.5"" lift with stock control arms w/235/75/15.

Ultras all around on the XJ.  A 4.5" lift with adjustable uppers and lowers, adjustable track bar... w/265/70/15's.  

Pretty fair comparison/difference.

. but

The XJ rides much smoother than the MJ.  It rides pretty solid and normal. 

The MJ rides like,,,well, a truck.  Both are solid on a bumpy ride on dirt, gravel etc but rough.

I know people will disagree and have something to say but I have a set of RC N2.0 on one of my XJs and they are pretty smooth and cheap.

you know, i havre never undetstood why people hate on these shocks so much. They are to harsh for a light vehicle  like a tj (for me) , but i thought they rode excellent in an lj which was a little heavier. 

"RC N2.0"? 

Must be more to the brand name than that? 

Rough Country.

You couldn't pay me to run their shocks.  As it is I've been waffling on even installing the track bar I have (came with the truck, new in box).  Maybe their quality has improved dramatically in the last 10 years, it's not like they're actually building their own shocks, but I just avoid the entire brand.

I have them on all my Jeeps and 3 friends' Jeeps. We all noticed a huge improvement from whatever shock was on there previously. Both in ride quality and abiliry to absorb bumps. 
Those include Rancho 5000s, Napa Sensa-Trac, stock shocks, and various others.

How do OME shocks sit on the soft-stiff scale? All I really want is a little softer ride in town, but mostly what I'm getting from this thread is more confirmation that "my truck rides good" means very different things to different people... :D

Side note: it seems to me like the 89 has much softer springs on it than the 91 - either that or the 89's are just really worn out. Leaning on the hood of the 91 only makes it dip slightly, more so on the 89. Same story for the rear. Both are 2WD with standard suspension. The 89's ride is what I prefer for a street driven truck - it softens the impact of bumps quite a bit more and doesn't settle as fast as the 91, which has absolutely no bounce or rebound whatsoever.

How do OME shocks sit on the soft-stiff scale? All I really want is a little softer ride in town, but mostly what I'm getting from this thread is more confirmation that "my truck rides good" means very different things to different people... :D

You are 100% right - suspension setup and ride quality is completely subjective. Just like motor oil, tires, and all the other consumable products that have been discussed here ad nauseaum. There's no way to explain the shock/spring differences, you have to experience it on your own rig with your own suspension. I'm a nit-picker on suspension and handling and have tried many brands of shocks, springs, front and rear sway bars, etc. I like OME products and yes, they are not cheap. You get what you pay for and and to me the OME stuff is worth the extra cost. Unfortunately no MJs were ever exported to Australia, so they don't make MJ specific rear shocks. So you have to experiment based on your lift setup and how you use your rig.

Yep, the red ones. I picked up a takeoff set for the 12 JK Sport I had, but mounted them up first on the MJ, Just swapped the bar pins. Stiffus-maximus. They should be; they're valved for a much heavier vehicle. Put em on the JK Sport and they were great. By the way, the black shocks on the JK Sahara trim levels were the same shocks as the red Rubicon shocks. The red color was to make Rubicon buyers they were getting something special.  :yes:

You should try a set OMEs then you'll know...........

I'm very happy with the Rubicon red ones.