Has anyone come up with an alternative expansion tank? I've replaced this one twice with OEM ones....

....got a local salvage yard guy that doubles as a jeep guy, he has a ton of NOS parts for jeeps, including these tanks, The "original popped a few weeks into the resurrection, then the NOS replacement lasted a few years and then this NOS replacement has started cracking on top just like the others. I decided to use some under water JB Weld and it has halted the seepage of coolant from the tank for quite a while now. just know I'm due for a failure anytime. They are only $25 bucks for the NOS ones , guess I should buy another and keep it behind the seat !

Other than the standard radiator swap/conversion , is there any kind of replacement tank for these things? I'd like to leave the system as it is.Sgt_Rock19884_0Jeep7-vi.jpg

The original from Lyon France lasted 20 years, replaced with OEM crown that lasted 5 years. Now running a Macs aluminum in a closed system, going on 5 years and no problems. This one should last till the end of my jeep life...

no overflow tanks on open system?

An open system needs an expansion tank.

If the MAC's aluminum tank had been available when I did my '88 XJ, that's the way I would have gone. But ... it wasn't, so I used a Moroso aluminum surge/expansion tank from a local speed shop. It's also sold by Summit racing.

I run it with an overflow bottle:

Look at the tanks in any mid-90's mopar.  They are tough, tough, tough nylon and have a real radiator cap.  they are shaped a bit differently but if you remove the bracket that mounts the OEM tank, you can mount them directly to the firewall.  no issues with hood closing.

^^^^ This is what I did, short of going HO radiator I believe this is the best way to go. don't care for the aftermarket plastic or metal tanks because you still keep all the funky hose routing. Reasons for converting: straight shot for heater hoses, simplified hose routing, less hose connections that can leak, and the cost difference between a metal tank, stock plastic, and the hose filler neck. So if you gonna fix it, why keep it obsolete?

Thats probably the best and most economical route to take considering the price of the Macs.  I must admit I'm getting a bit of coolant squeezing past the 15 lb rad cap when the ambient temperature is above 30C (86F) as I have the overflow  blocked. I think an overflow bottle is in my future too.

I must admit I'm getting a bit of coolant squeezing past the 15 lb rad cap when the ambient temperature is above 30C (86F) as I have the overflow  blocked. I think an overflow bottle is in my future too.

Maybe you have the tank over-filled. You need room for expansion. Take the cap off when it's cold, where is the coolant level at?

^^^^ This is what I did, short of going HO radiator I believe this is the best way to go. don't care for the aftermarket plastic or metal tanks because you still keep all the funky hose routing. Reasons for converting: straight shot for heater hoses, simplified hose routing, less hose connections that can leak, and the cost difference between a metal tank, stock plastic, and the hose filler neck. So if you gonna fix it, why keep it obsolete?

Good question...........

^^^^ Filler neck conversion?

FWIW, when I did mine I found that the upper radiator hose is tapered, meaning the inlet/outlet sizes on the hoses are different diameter, I had a  hard time gettin the filler neck installed into the upper hose {was a b*t*h, but I got it), don't they make this adapter with different inlet and outlet diameters to ease installation?

^^^^ Filler neck conversion?

FWIW, when I did mine I found that the upper radiator hose is tapered, meaning the inlet/outlet sizes on the hoses are different diameter, I had a  hard time gettin the filler neck installed into the upper hose {was a b*t*h, but I got it), don't they make this adapter with different inlet and outlet diameters to ease installation?

Huh? 

I did 3 of them with no issues at all. Was it the 63745 Moroso or the one with 2 different sizes? 

Been so long, not sure what the part # was. I do know that I was wishing for one with different inlet outlet diameters.

Weird. The hose is the same diameter in the middle...........