Has anyone come up with an alternative expansion tank? I've replaced this one twice with OEM ones....

no overflow tanks on open system? 

Do a open system upgrade and toss that plastic piece of crap out.

Never had a problem since I did this to two Jeeps...one the XJ, One the MJ

Metal tank or convert to open.

Yeah, like that.

There is an OVERFLOW tank on an open system...not a PRESSURE bottle.   The overflow is open to the air...the pressure tank shouldn't be.

Is this that difficult to comprehend? 

don't be snide, everybody doesn't have their own "cruiser 54.com page, aint been a service manager forever, give them a break.

I worked with daughters BF yesterday on his XJ, my job is teach and help, not make him feel how smart I think I am and how much I know about XJs.

Never once asked him if it was "that difficult to comprehend". Shame to say that. Thought being snide and smart mouthed is not what this site is about.

I was referring to the comprehension of closed versus open and recovery versus pressure bottle. I know YOU  understand that. 

As for the daughter's BF, I have been doing that kind of thing for decades. I am a patient teacher. 

Sometimes it seems though, that we need to stop and look at what we're dealing with. Threads get cluttered and off on rabbit trails. Paradise put it all together for everyone.