MJOTM - July, 2015 - MJCARENA's '88 Pioneer

How many of us have heard the comparison of Comanches and LEGOs? Everything fits on them... Parts are easily interchangeable... Don't like it? Change it. Point is that if you don't like something about your truck, it's easy enough to change it into what you really want. I remember as a kid getting the LEGO sets that look cool, and then getting another set that I wasn't all that interested in just to grab the good parts off of it to make my cool set even cooler. Sometimes it's drastic. Sometimes it's more than drastic! Sometimes it's subtle... fine details that take something good and make it great. Example?...

saucer-bb.regular.png

YEAR/MODEL
1988 Pioneer

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ●

Stock 4.0, Was rebuilt at around 150,000 miles by previous owner. Only had around 700 miles on rebuilt engine when I got it.

DRIVE TRAIN ●

AW4, 3:55 gears, Dana 35 rear, Dana 30 front with CAD

COOLING ●

Converted to open system

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ●

Removed the C101 connector, did all the ground upgrades.

SUSPENSION/STEERING ●
Stock

INTERIOR ●

Gray, bench seat with headrests, new carpet, put a full instrument cluster in it.

BRAKES ●

Upgraded to a 95/96 brake booster and master .

LIGHTING ●

Stock

EXTERIOR ●
Previous owner repainted it himself white with blue lower trim. I redid the lower in black and added the Comanche Chief decals.

WHEELS/TIRES ●

Came with Jeep 5 spoke rims. I put on turbines and BF Goodrich AT 30x9.5x15

MISCELLANEOUS ●

Has the full skid plate package, (front, transfer case, and gas tank). Has the tow hitch. I had the bed sprayed with Line-X bed liner.

FULL BUILD THREAD

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ●
I only had the truck for about 2 weeks when I needed to go to Lowes and pick up some bags of cement. I just got back from having lunch with my wife and get back in my truck and turn the key and nothing happens. The engine will not turn over. Found that the starter was bad, so I had to take my XJ. My wife called my truck the Little Princess, since it did not want to do any work, just cruise around and have fun.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ●

I just love the way everyone helps each other out with any problem they might have. Very little drama if any.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Everybody loves a Chief, eh Fran?!.. even if it is a clone. Anybody ever give a girl a cubic zirconia? No shame in a fake!Those sexy stripes stretching all the way down those body lines only to exaggerate the Comanche's already fit figure... that's some good stuff right there. You took an already nice truck and turned it into something fantastic. Very nice, sir! Very nice.

-Ben

Click here to view the article

Excellent job and very tastefully done. She's a looker!  :cheers:

I like how you have wrapped the A/C evaporator hose. Does it help with the cooling?

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the truck.  After I wrapped the evap hose my outlet temp dropped around 3 degrees, every little bit helps here in Arizona in the summer heat. I figured the hose was picking up heat from the engine bay and that was just more heat for the condenser to get rid of. I might be wrong on my theory but it did make a change.

• 3 weeks later...

The truck looks awesome. Where did you get the Chief graphics?

On the sides it is paint and pinstripes, the lettering my wife made out of vinyl. (she makes decals) She also made the stripes on the hood. Not quite exactly correct but close enough for me.

Jesus H. Christ that is an amazing MJ! Wow, stunning!

How did you get the tachometer cut out so nicely for the PRNDL indicator? I have a full gauge set to install but I'm not totally sure how to cut it and get it looking clean/factory.

Jesus H. Christ that is an amazing MJ! Wow, stunning!

How did you get the tachometer cut out so nicely for the PRNDL indicator? I have a full gauge set to install but I'm not totally sure how to cut it and get it looking clean/factory.

Very, very, very carefully I'm assuming. Dremel and an extremely steady hand? That's the cleanest example of that swap I've ever seen. The attention to detail on this build is second to none.

• 1 month later...