• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working on the ole girl quite a bit lately.  The old stereo was cutting in and out so I replaced it with a new JVC unit. Also got the bed back on and all put together. And finally I found some of the wheels I've been looking for. A guy in Tulsa had them for $450 with nearly new tires. Still 31/10.5/15. They are a little shorter and a little wider than what I had.

20191004_082919.jpg

20191004_082846.jpg

20191004_082826.jpg

20191003_084018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think so. The offset isn't quite enough so they stick out a little more than I wanted. One side is leaning a little so I need to Jack it up and check the ball joints.  Of course.  But I've been working on the garage quite a bit lately and I'm back on nights so I don't feel like doing much till the weekend. 

• 3 months later...

The lower left ball joint had a little slop so I changed them all. The front rubbed on full lock when hitting a bump so I wasn't happy with that, they just stuck out to far. I was playing on marketplace one day while the wife was in a store and ran across some factory Wrangler wheels. The others that I thought were factory were Eagle wheels. Real close match so I bought them. I had 1.25 spacers on the rear and took them off and ended up with a stance I finally like. When the weather gets a little nicer I'm going to look into lowering it just a little.

20200228_161034.jpg

20200228_161014.jpg

• 1 month later...

I cut one coil out of each front spring. It lowered it about an inch. You can't really tell to much unless you look at the gap from the flares to the tires. I'm not going to buy lowering blocks for the rear until I decide if I like the raked look or not. 

20200426_153328.jpg

20200426_153311.jpg

Well, I put the Dual Sync distributor back in today. It has been running really good with no issues so I decided it was time to give it another try. So far so good. It needs to go through the learning process again but I drove the balls off of it for about an hour and it never hiccuped. I was doing some reading and I came across some info I guess I never paid attention to about how to fine tune the timing with the controller after the initial setup. Fingers crossed. Wires are a mess but I will clean it all up when I'm confident it is going to be ok.

20200427_155540.jpg

• 5 months later...

I haven’t done anything but drive it for quite awhile. I bought this ‘98 Grand Cherokee disc brake set last year so I decided to finally put it on. I followed the guy who has a video on here with one change. The axle had a lot of play in and out so I put .100 spacers between the shoulder in the axle and bearing. I don’t know if it matters one way or the other but I guess I will find out. It seems to be working good so far. 

27B63C4D-0D5A-49F7-A439-C47607C5E653.jpeg

3E1B5BE9-AA44-48C5-B04C-9C9A5450F521.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, the Novak radiator is done. It started leaking pretty bad again so I took it to an old timer who has been fixing radiators for 50 years. He called and told me it was unfixable. He said electrolysis ate it up. So I bought a new brass and copper one from Rock Auto. It’s not a conversion one so nothing fits what I had. I have been doing a bunch of reading to educate myself about electrolysis and I won’t let that happen again. 

C8E44FCC-616C-4A38-A840-8456D52E7A70.jpeg

Thanks for the link. I checked the voltage and the most I got was .13 so that should be good. A friend of mine was telling me about an additive that diesel owners use to help with electrolysis and I’m going to add a bottle for some peace of mind. Anyone ever used this stuff? Opinions?

94C602F3-9B21-42FC-A904-0590B67AAAED.png

• 2 months later...

It’s hard to believe I’ve had this thing for almost eight years. I haven’t done anything to it for quite awhile but it’s starting to show some age and needs a few things taken care of. I noticed a misfire a couple weeks ago and as I suspected the #4 plug wire was arcing on the header. Dang, those were some really nice wires and they weren’t cheap. I ordered some Accell ceramic ended wires and some looms to spiff the old girl up. Under the hood is looking grungy so I will take some time and 5S it. If there are any John Deere employees on here  they will know what I’m talking about. Lol
     I have been dreading tackling this next project. I need to pull the dash to fix the water leak on the passenger side around the air intake for the fan. I’ve tried various things to get by but…..nope.

While I have the dash out I need to fix a suspected ground issue on the tach. When I did the gauges I put an extra ground as recommended. It’s intermittent but still needs fixed. 
     We had been getting lucky with the heat but Mother Nature had to remind me of the Kansas summers, and I’m old and chunky.

6D722F58-8435-4FB3-ADD6-03C9D02315C3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...