I guess I should have said that I did drive it but not enough for it to learn all it needs to. I can't even find the part that is missing off the cable. It was a aftermarket cheapo anyways. Some problems I did have are that Holley did not send the fuel pump block off plate they were supposed to and the clamps for the O2 bung are over sized and crap to boot. In the pic you can see that I had to put a spacer under the clamps just to get them tight enough. And the threads were jacked so once I threaded the nuts on about a half inch I couldn't get them to go anymore so I had to cut the stud off and clean the threads up. Luckily they were plenty long. I live pretty far out in the country so I wasn't happy about putting everything away just to go to town for a seven dollar part. Finding a suitable location for the sensor and then getting it drilled were a challenge also. Once I turned the key on to prime the pump it literally turned over just a couple times and it fired right up. It idled about 1800 rpm for awhile but once I figured out everything I got that down. I need to put the loom on the wires and clean the install up a little and put the distributor in and hopefully it is good to go. I said awhile back my wife was supportive of this project but this time I got a little stink eye because of the cost. I'll just work a few more Saturdays, like I have a choice. lol

DSCN5555.JPG

DSCN5556.JPG

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

The O2 should be welded in, I wouldn't rely on that clamp BS long term. 

Yea, I probably should. Like I said I will clean it all up and make it look good when I get the distributor in and running good for sure. Having to run to town for the block off plate put me behind. I picked up the new throttle cable in Wichita today but all the way home I was brain storming ways to use what I had. I think I figured it out.... I think.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got the Dual Sync distributor in and running. I will say it upfront that Holley needs to redo their instructions. They are incomplete, unless they didn't include all of them. I had to use a website www.efisystempro.com to figure out how to get it to run. I had no spark and was at my wits end until I stumbled onto this site. It does run better, I will say. I will check the mileage and see if it improves. 

DSCN5557.JPG

DSCN5558.JPG

DSCN5559.JPG

This is one of the screens to show the vitals of the engine. There are others. I drove it a couple hours tonight so it could learn and all I can say is wow! What a difference in acceleration and throttle response. I can almost forgive Holley for their indiscretions. It runs so much smoother. Man, I'm happy.

DSCN5561.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Anything new to report now that you've had a few days with it?

After i installed the distributor I had some problems with it all of a sudden cutting out but it would always start right up. The alternator was the stock one so I upgraded to a Powermaster and all new battery cables. The injection really needs a strong battery so I figured it was a good place to start. Didn't fix it. I did some research and RFI is a common problem also so I started separating wires just trying to isolate the problem.  I seem to have found  it, it hasn't messed up for about 5 days. Fingers crossed. Oh, I lucked out and Quadratech had this alternator clearanced to 79 bucks shipped! 

15 minutes ago, kansashogan said:

After i installed the distributor I had some problems with it all of a sudden cutting out but it would always start right up. The alternator was the stock one so I upgraded to a Powermaster and all new battery cables. The injection really needs a strong battery so I figured it was a good place to start. Didn't fix it. I did some research and RFI is a common problem also so I started separating wires just trying to isolate the problem.  I seem to have found the it, it hasn't messed up for about 5 days. Fingers crossed. Oh, I lucked out and Quadratech had this alternator clearanced to 79 bucks shipped! 

Where do  you think the RFI was coming from?

Ground issue?

I'm not 100% sure. There are a lot of wires and they should not be running parallel  to any power wires is the # 1 rule. Crossing is ok but not running alongside. I broke that rule. But I think my problem was the wires from the coil driver to the coil and the wires in that area. There are several power wires running to relays and 1 was in the same loom as them. 

20180812_185601.jpg

3 hours ago, kansashogan said:

I'm not 100% sure. There are a lot of wires and they should not be running parallel  to any power wires is the # 1 rule. Crossing is ok but not running alongside. I broke that rule. But I think my problem was the wires from the coil driver to the coil and the wires in that area. There are several power wires running to relays and 1 was in the same loom as them. 

20180812_185601.jpg

Great to hear you got such a good deal on the Powermaster! I assume it's working out well for you?

Yes, ignition systems/injection systems need lots of power, they also need clean power. I've already anticipated some of what you are dealing with here, I've been thinking about how much of my existing wiring will remain and how much will have to come out and how much will be rewired. 

Curious, what did you do for a fuel pump?

6 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Great to hear you got such a good deal on the Powermaster! I assume it's working out well for you?

Yes, ignition systems/injection systems need lots of power, they also need clean power. I've already anticipated some of what you are dealing with here, I've been thinking about how much of my existing wiring will remain and how much will have to come out and how much will be rewired. 

Curious, what did you do for a fuel pump?

I bought the master kit and it includes a pump. The Powermaster is awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Cruising through South Dakota looking at my thread and thought I would update how the Sniper and Dual Sync are doing. I think I figured out my gremlins. Finally. It seems after lots of reading that they don't like to idle below 775 rpm. I could adjust it down to 650 and it will purr like a kitten then while puttering through a parking lot it would die. Grrr. Somebody on a forum mentioned they has the same problem and they turned the idle up and it seems to have fixed it. I never had a single issue until I put the Dual Sync distributor in and it has been a bit of a headache since. I dang near took it out and put the HEI back in. But it runs so good when it's good. 

My throttle cable was sticky so I took the existing throttle/tv cable bracket and started cutting/welding to make it line up better. Mission accomplished, or so I thought. There was a frayed wire on the tv cable and it stuck inside the cable housing and now it is to stiff. I hate messing with that thing. Gotta drop the pan and unhook the cable to replace it. That's for another day.

• 1 month later...

This is starting to sound redundant but I was having issues still. But this time I really did figure it out. It turned out to be my plug wires. One night it was rainy and really dark so i popped the hood and looked for any arcing on the wires. Holy hell was there. I held them in my hands and they literally glowed green. There was arcing all over. I refused to believe the wires were at fault because they were 100 dollar Msd wires and weren't that old. I replaced them with some AC Delco wires and it has run perfect since. I also recently rolled over 20,000 miles.

20181029_151923.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still figuring out how to post pics and videos with text. Anyhow, we had a half decent weather day so I took the opportunity to add a dome light. It's a led strip from Wally world so it's a cheapo. I will check it out tonight when it gets dark to see how much of a difference it makes. 

Just now, Pete M said:

you can post questions about videos in the pub.  I imagine someone would have the answer. :L: 

I should have said I was having trouble with learning on my phone. I have always used a camera and loaded pics to a desktop and then to C.C. I didn't have a video for the light but somehow I made it look like I did. I think I figured out a little more today, though. We will see.