• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not done with it yet but getting closer. It is a 350/700R4. I have the drive shaft and exhaust to do and put fenders and rest of front end on and it will be drivable. First time posting pics so I hope it is working right. Still have to hook up gauges (Autometer) and the fans and other odds and ends.

Got the panel made. It was a pain in the booty getting all the holes lined up correctly. I had to cut some of the copper strips on the back of the cluster so the gauge hardware would fit. Plugged it in and the blinker lights and the bright light worked so all is good. Now I have to order the tach and get it installed. To cold outside to do much more. I'm thinking of putting the oil pressure and temp gauge in the spots where the idiot lights go to the side. Will have to see.

Dude awesome job on the panel and truck would love to do this myself one day! I'm sure you have heard this one "A 4.0 is all you need in an XJ/MJ" and that is true, until you get the opportunity to get behind the wheel of one with a V8 WOW! My buddy has a 2dr XJ with LS1 nothing compares in these vehicles that I have been around. Looking forward to more pics and details good luck with build!

Thanks. I'm getting ready to start on the driveshaft and exhaust but I'm kinda wondering if I should put in a stronger rearend. I put new brakes and cylinders and parking brake cables and new fluid and brake lines and don't want to waste the money. I don't think I would be tearing around much so I think I would be ok for awhile. My wife would shoot me if she was aware of what I'm thinking. I would like to get it road worthy and then start tinkering. I do think I am going to have to change the booster and master cyl. I hear a vacuum leak up there somewhere and the brakes don't feel right. Once again, it has a new master on it and I made all new brake lines front to back with the exception of a few. Let me tell you the long ones are a bear to make and try to follow all the bends like factory. I would like to say that this is the best bunch of guys with a lot of encouragement and advice of any site I've been a part of.  Thanks a lot!!!

Man you look familiar........

Where's the oil and temp??? That I could not live without.

I intended to rebuild the 4cly that coming out of my MJ and look for a '85 XJ for the wife......we have a '97 now and I really want to replace it with a '85.....but now.......

You've convince me, it'll be a SBC for the wife's yet to be found '85.

Man you look familiar........

Where's the oil and temp??? That I could not live without.

I intended to rebuild the 4cly that coming out of my MJ and look for a '85 XJ for the wife......we have a '97 now and I really want to replace it with a '85.....but now.......

You've convince me, it'll be a SBC for the wife's yet to be found '85.

I have them but I am trying to decide where to put them. Either to the side or under where the switch blanks go. I have it running but not driving. When I bought the Novak parts it took 68 days to get the radiator and fans so while I was waiting I started working on that old barn in the background. It took me a lot longer  to do the work on it than I thought it would but once I get started on something I can't quit. Drives my wife crazy. LOL Once I got the radiator, I installed it and made sure it was alright and went back to the barn Now it's colder than heck so all I'm doing is piddling. I do have a problem I need to solve. I can't get one of the plugs out of the head to put either the water or fan sender. I have the fan sender in the intake already but nowhere to put the temp sender. There is a plug in the radiator and I'm thinking about trying the temp sender there but I don't know if it will give me honest readings. Putting the 350 in the truck was easy as far dropping it in. The Novak parts are engineered and fabbed sweet.

The guy I bought the truck from said the truck was a daily driver until the engine started making noises. I gave $350 for it and at times I think I paid to much. I think a valve seat or valve broke and TORE up one of the cylinders and head. They had to have driven it for awhile for all the damage to have occurred.  Both brake lines to the rear were rusted in half behind the gas tank. The taillights didn't work. One of the hood hinges was frozen. Etc. Basically every problem on this forum this truck had. 

I am torn between making this a prerunner look a like or a street machine. All terrains or street tires? I have a 2007 Colorado 4x4 so don't really need another 4x4. My thoughts are to make a street machine and do the Hot Rod power tour with something a little different. I have some friends that have done it a couple times and they say it is a blast. I could have built an S-10 for a heck of a lot less $ but I wanted something different. There is only one other Comanche around here and is now for sale.   

Can you use a tee piece to run both senders out of the one location.... Wouldn't use the radiator for temp gauge, but maybe for the fan's.... Street Machine would be cool, would love to do a 2 wheel drive myself. I used the Novak gear for me LS1 conversion, it's a good bit of gear. Best of luck with the build and heaps more pics...... :thumbsup:   

Can you use a tee piece to run both senders out of the one location.... Wouldn't use the radiator for temp gauge, but maybe for the fan's.... Street Machine would be cool, would love to do a 2 wheel drive myself. I used the Novak gear for me LS1 conversion, it's a good bit of gear. Best of luck with the build and heaps more pics...... :thumbsup:   

I hadn't thought of a tee but I will check into that. Thanks. After I posted I thought that it would be better to put the fan sender in the radiator. Now I gotta check out your truck and see the LS1. I considered doing that but around where I live you have to go 100 miles to get anything so I figured I would go the easy route.