• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the sub boxes already on hand and I thought it would be easier to do it this way than build a custom box. I actually built a couple custom sub boxes years ago for a Nissan pickup that fit in the holes for the jump seats. Turned out really nice but it was a LOT of work. I made wooden boxes and covered them in fiberglass. When I sold the pickup that seemed to be a selling point. Of course, a younger guy bought it. 

makes sense. I'd like a little more sound from mine and have thought about one sub, I don't need alot so I might just get a self amplified bazooka tube if I ever get around to it. it's hard to give up the limited interior storage tho

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Got a question for you, Hogan. 

Now that you've done the V8 swap, any regrets? 

If you had to do it over again, SBC or LS? Serious question here, I want an old school SB and everyone else is saying I'm foolish. 

What say you?

That's a tough one to answer. I think I went old school because I live in the middle of nowhere and it would be easier to do the Gen1 small block. I also had never done a complete vehicle and I thought it would be easier and cheaper. I wouldn't be afraid to do an LS now, though. Being 2wd it would be easier than yours since you are 4wd. I have given some thought to doing an LS Cherokee but it will have to wait for awhile. With all the aftermarket help it isn't all that bad. I had to make a transmission mount to mate the trans and cross member and the wiring was a bit of a headache but other than that it was pretty simple. If you look back at the beginning of my thread you will see what a rats nest the wiring was. The engine was blown and the guys I bought it from had unhooked a bunch of stuff and I had to figure out what went where. Then going through the harness and getting rid of all the wires not needed was a learning experience. I drove it to Wichita this weekend to my sons and delivered some parts to Digitalbman  and she performed like a dream. I guess I would say to you to do what you want. You are the one paying for it and driving it. Fuel injection would be nice, though. 

• 2 months later...
lWWU29pm.jpg
Not what I wanted to do on my day off. My high dollar Novak radiator sprung TWO! leaks. Cost me $65 to get them fixed. It is a quality looking piece so I am a bit surprised this happened. Now, to put the fans back on and slap her back in. 

That's a shame... I am getting ready to do a radiator upgrade on mine. I was looking at the flex a lite radiator with the 3 fans. What is your opinion on that one versus your Novak? Both seem to he quality radiators

4 hours ago, DigitalBman said:

That's a shame... I am getting ready to do a radiator upgrade on mine. I was looking at the flex a lite radiator with the 3 fans. What is your opinion on that one versus your Novak? Both seem to he quality radiators

Wow, I can't believe someone is more expensive than Novak. I looked at them on Ebay and the Flex a lites look to be nice. I would guess they would both be good, or should be for the money.

• 2 months later...

hEJGttWm.jpgJAJSh1um.jpgln7hWYnm.jpg3n962OSm.jpgmqn9A9lm.jpg

I found me some forever seats finally. They are the base seats out of a 2015 Mitsubishi Evo and I got them for $100. Mint condition. The first pic is the new and old seats. The second is the old door I cut the patch panel out of. The third is the hole I had to cut to make them fit. The forth is the patch panel bent and tacked together. The last is the panel welded and riveted to the floor and seam sealed.

sMfHvBam.jpgWyLGYFlm.jpgBBcqEo4m.jpgI8pxGDQm.jpg84nHYsnm.jpg

Some more pics. The first and second is how I cut and welded the seat brackets. I used some one inch square tubing I had laying around. The third is the back wall. I had to lower the speakers and take the sub out so the seats would lay back. The forth and fifth are the final product. Much better. It was a lot of work to cut the floor up and patch it but i'm glad I did. I am going to try to trade or buy for a tube sub as it will fit better and allow me to recline the seats. The old seats had a short bottom and no support, plus they were vinyl. 

• 3 months later...

I decided to splurge and get me a little treat for the ol' Comanche.  It's a Holley Sniper fuel injection system. Supposed to be a good system and easy to put in. We shall see. Has anybody put a high amp alternator in their pickup? Recommendations? I think it would be a good upgrade to have with this. Supposedly most problems are installation errors.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:22 PM, kansashogan said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=5bdffe12d56b6f18I decided to splurge and get me a little treat for the ol' Comanche.  It's a Holley Sniper fuel injection system. Supposed to be a good system and easy to put in. We shall see. Has anybody put a high amp alternator in their pickup? Recommendations? I think it would be a good upgrade to have with this. Supposedly most problems are installation errors.imageproxy.php?img=&key=5bdffe12d56b6f18imageproxy.php?img=&key=5bdffe12d56b6f18

Please let us know how the Sniper worked out for you. I would consider that a necessity, not a splurge. 

I'm looking at the Terminator and the dual sync distributor for my future build- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-550-444k?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-holley&gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxJ81Bg0T-P9G5RTSp9UmfRKgktHhZpPRnVWTaVwYPlgaeyRSuLIJ8RoCU-wQAvD_BwE

I used 4g wire and a 175amp Mega fuse at the starter relay for mine, you should have no problem installing the alt. 

On 4/4/2018 at 8:10 AM, Jeep Driver said:

Please let us know how the Sniper worked out for you. I would consider that a necessity, not a splurge. 

I'm looking at the Terminator and the dual sync distributor for my future build- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-550-444k?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-holley&gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxJ81Bg0T-P9G5RTSp9UmfRKgktHhZpPRnVWTaVwYPlgaeyRSuLIJ8RoCU-wQAvD_BwE

I used 4g wire and a 175amp Mega fuse at the starter relay for mine, you should have no problem installing the alt. 

I was asking more for recommendations for a alternator. I want at least a 100 amp for bright lights and to make sure to have a strong battery for the injection. Most problems with the fuel injection are install errors according to online forums. It will be a couple weeks before I get it installed. Tons of overtime and a bathroom remodel in process. I sure am anxious to get it in though. I'm hoping to improve mileage by 3-4 mpg and improve drive ability. It has been pretty cold this winter and I forgot how crappy carbs are compared to fuel injection. 

20 minutes ago, kansashogan said:

I was asking more for recommendations for a alternator. I want at least a 100 amp for bright lights and to make sure to have a strong battery for the injection. Most problems with the fuel injection are install errors according to online forums. It will be a couple weeks before I get it installed. Tons of overtime and a bathroom remodel in process. I sure am anxious to get it in though. I'm hoping to improve mileage by 3-4 mpg and improve drive ability. It has been pretty cold this winter and I forgot how crappy carbs are compared to fuel injection. 

Powermaster

Best prices through Summit. 

jWTPQdF.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today is the day. After almost 16,000 miles of carburation i'm putting the Holley Sniper on. I decided to purchase the Dual Sync distributor also but I probably won't get it on today. Holley recommends getting the fuel injection on and running first just in case there is a problem so it will be easier to diagnose. I will say, they are pretty nice looking. 

DSCN5553.JPG

DSCN5554.JPG

Well, i got it running, but of all things to happen my throttle cable broke where it connects to the pedal so I can't drive it so it can learn. I won't be able to work on it tomorrow because of mothers day so Monday after work I will get it going.