1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles

On 3/31/2023 at 12:01 AM, NorthwestMJ said:

My “machining” was rudimentary at best LOL. That looks great! I’ve been looking around at bridgeports, knowing it will only open a MASSIVE can of worms. 

This is the most complex piece I've ever attempted, but only because there were so many steps, not because there was any one "hard" thing to do - all rudimentary! 

To those with any inclination and means to do so, I would 100% recommend getting a lathe and a mill and learning how to use them.  It's been a fun addition and beneficial to this whole resto-mod hobby.  

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, A-man930 said:

This is the most complex piece I've ever attempted, but only because there were so many steps, not because there was any one "hard" thing to do - all rudimentary! 

To those with any inclination and means to do so, I would 100% recommend getting a lathe and a mill and learning how to use them.  It's been a fun addition and beneficial to this whole resto-mod hobby.  

Are you running your machine in 3 phase? If so, did you do an add a phase?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/3/2023 at 10:50 AM, NorthwestMJ said:

Are you running your machine in 3 phase? If so, did you do an add a phase?

Sorry for the no-response on this.  

I'm using a Variable Frequency Drive; its a pretty popular way to do it nowadays and you can get them cheapish.

• 6 months later...

I eventually found a parallel-flow A/C condenser for our trucks (I'll provide a link if I can find it)

I'm hoping the OE serpentine condenser will flow enough volume to support the liquid-to-air charge cooler. 

Everything fits so well! 

20231029_211622.jpg

20231028_000838.jpg

20231106_200921.jpg

20231106_201021.jpg

1 hour ago, neohic said:

Excellent update!

Man, I haven't really stopped tinkering with it, but things aren't really worth posting until they're at least somewhat complete... which takes months in my case. 

Thanks for the kind word. 

Here's the rest of the power steering system (the reservoir from the donor Jetta is shown earlier):

-I bent and flared the hard portion of the suction line from some 5/8" tubing from McMaster Carr.

-I found AN adapters for the pump and box and had a local shop make the pressure hose with some common JIC fittings.  

-I'm planning to use the OE trans. cooler in the radiator as a power steering cooler. Upper fitting in the radiator is just SAE flare, but I'm struggling to find a quick connect fitting for the outlet on the bottom... 

20240411_211954.jpg

20240411_211910.jpg

20231230_214643.jpg

20240221_175343.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have found a solution for the cooler outlet.  

Out of the box, Dorman 800-121 doesn't engage because the barb on the radiator-side is too long. Against my typical preference, I elected to shorten the barb.

I would have greatly preferred replacing the fitting in the radiator, unfortunately, it's soldered onto the cooler.

My only remaining concerns are

1. The possibility that I cut off more length than necessary, leaving only one of the o-rings left to seal

2. That the o-ring material may not be compatible with power steering fluid. 

20240423_221109.jpg

20240423_221430.jpg

20240423_221505.jpg

20240423_223006.jpg

20240423_223040.jpg