1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

Any updates on the tdi swap? What did you end up doing for the front bumper? Interesting build :L:

My TDi is still homeless, sitting on an engine stand in the corner.  I keep some ATF squirted in the cylinders and turn it over every once and a while.  I'm going to go one more "round" with ye olde 4.0.  I've got enough on my plate with this current rust repair/bodywork; it's already been a year since I let the tags expire, I'll be lucky if it's back on the road within the next (year).  

Front bumper is on the list alongside the rust repair and body.  I'll be sure to post progress. Thanks for the comment!

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't stand the thought of missing some pocket of rust.  Plus, the dust from all the stripping/grinding was everywhere.  I'm glad I did:

-Note the rust along the windshield seal.

FMbxBg2.jpg

7kCNJCR.jpg

-And the upper left hand corner... not sure how bad this is yet :crazy:

iMQTGDu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the verge of getting somewhat discouraged; I keep finding more rust! :mad:

I decided to make a few access holes for inspection/clean-out on the driver's side. 

The first picture is from inside the cab just below the corner of the windshield (you can also see I trimmed back where the rust had bubbled through the seam sealer)

The second picture is from the outside, just below where the cowling meets the A-pillar. ( yes, I broke through into the cowl a bit :blush:)

EgSB2vO.jpg

LD05Rk1.jpg

Its not pretty in here.  I can't trace where the water would travel from the windshield.  Instead, I think the cause is a combination of running around with no inner fender liners and condensation.  

The most frustrating part is where the toe board (firewall?) sandwiches against the "support plate" for the brake booster and steering column... water has been creeping into here for a long time and has made it's mark.

WsESYin.jpg

qQzpSNR.jpg

There are so many curves and contours... I don't know how I'm going to fix/replace this.   

On 1/19/2020 at 9:00 PM, Pete M said:

can you cover the surfaces with POR-15?

Not with a brush.  I'll probably end up using some kind of aerosol with a diffuser wand and semi-regularly get a dose of fluid film up in there.  I'll also probably try the pool noodle in the fender trick to keep water from blatantly spraying up in that area.    

Now things are getting pretty well beyond my comfort zone, but I'm still gonna press on!

The trans tunnel side moved pretty significantly when I completed the cut on that side; here's hoping my bracing is sufficient and wasn't too late.  

wVjef0T.jpg

AQ5p8Yp.jpg

65o52g8.jpg

3FkBD9H.jpg

I tried to limit the number of complex curves and corners that I would have to re-create and here's what I ended up with.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, Pete M said:

it's not impossible to fab your own patches. :L:

Got this little gem from my Matco guy:

zMtActi.png

And it works wonders!

4MHV4AC.jpg

9fpyvEJ.jpg

7pYq9vI.jpg

Su86ak6.jpg

DqnvzKB.jpg

e9WCRnP.jpg

That's all I was able to knock out today, but man I'm feeling better about it already! :banana:

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

it's amazing that a picture can make my ears hurt.  :laugh: 

fantastic work!  :L: 

Thanks!!  It is ridiculously loud; I took out the earplugs for a brief moment and WOW.  Its almost like I'm jackhammering on a giant metal can!

On 2/11/2020 at 11:00 PM, A-man930 said:

Got this little gem from my Matco guy:

zMtActi.png

And it works wonders!

4MHV4AC.jpg

9fpyvEJ.jpg

7pYq9vI.jpg

Su86ak6.jpg

DqnvzKB.jpg

e9WCRnP.jpg

That's all I was able to knock out today, but man I'm feeling better about it already! :banana:

That is a very very nice patch. Good work. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • A-man930 changed the title to 1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles