Comanche Of The Month - December, 2013 - Cruiser54's '90 Pioneer

neohic

What do you think of when December comes around? Me?... I think of a season that really makes me feel like I belong to something, sharing time with family and friends, and most importantly a season of giving. This month, I wanted to put someone special in the spotlight. Someone that always seems to have the answer. Someone who might not say much, but you better be listening when he does. Someone that shows the giving spirit all year round… in the form of priceless Jeep knowledge. This month?...

Cruiser54's '90 Pioneer!!!

1486903_504958216269713_586781081_n.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR1990 Pioneer Longbed 4WD

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE: Renix 4.0, 60mm throttle body, high altitude CPS, MAP sensor mod, relocated IAT, exhaust down tube crush removed, Flowmaster muffler, 4 hole injectors

DRIVETRAIN: AW4, NP231, Dana 44 posi rear

COOLING: Standard Renix cooling system with Volvo cap

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION: Upgraded grounds, Napa Premium cap/rotor/wires and NGK plugs

STEERING: Standard steering

SUSPENSION: Stock suspension with gas shocks and poly swaybar bushings and end links

INTERIOR: Bucket seats, carpet, lighted vanity mirrors, sheepskin seat covers

BRAKES: Performance Friction front pads, stock rear shoes

LIGHTING: Autopal E-code headlights with 90/100 bulbs, upgraded headlamp harness, #795 halogen reverse light bulbs

WHEELS/TIRES: Wrangler wheels with 235/75/15 Kumho KL78 tires

MISCELLANEOUS: This is my 15th Comanche. I had 13 of them as demos when I was Service Manager at a Jeep dealer and this is the second one I've owned. First demo was the 4 cylinder 4 speed model painted in the Renault racing colors. The only 2WD MJ I had was my 86  4 cylinder which I traded off to get this 90. I need 4WD where I live. I've done all the applicable Renix Tips to this MJ. It's kinda like the old guy's truck but I like it that way. A bit of a sleeper. A 4.6 stroker is waiting to go in when time permits.

1001996_504958219603046_1643022874_n.jpg

Best MJ story: My best MJ story is about an MJ that Hornbrod is familiar with. The head of Jeep Racing lived in my town at this time and he did project vehicles for Jeep also. Along with Hesco, they built a shortbed 2WD Mj with a supercharged 4.6 stroker using Electramotive programmable fuel injection. It carried little payload so many times he would ask if I could trade him my demo MJ for the little rocket for the weekend when he needed to haul stuff. I know that guy in the restored GTO is still wondering what that little yellow truck had under the hood!!

1461844_504958189603049_1674341263_n.jpg

What owner loves best about CC: I'm glad that Comanche Club has such a group of dedicated owners of our beloved MJs and are interested in preserving them.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Pete, you have to be one of the most helpful members here what with your tips and tricks for the RENIX crowd, and your honest and to the point responses. While you won’t find a build thread here, I think you add something here that just can’t be duplicated easily. That special thing you have is experience. I can honestly say that more than a few of my past MJs are still functioning because of something you’ve said. I’m very happy to be the first to say thank you and congratulations on being our December Comanche of the Month!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

Way to go Pete-man. :cheers:  We are extremely fortunate to have you here, freely sharing all the expertise you have gained through your many years as a Jeep service manager. Many of your "mostly Renix" tips also apply to the HOs, and I have sucked out and applied all that did for my own HO rig. Thanks for all that, and get that stroker installed rock and rollin' in your pristine 90 Pioneer. Then do some stroker tips.

Too bad about that fast little yellow Hesco "delivery truck". Sadly it's been relegated to museum status now. I still go look at every now and then.

Very well deserved sir. I have learned more from reading your posts than from the combined manuals (factory etc.) and books I have squirelled away.

To re-state what others have said. I have never (on the internet or otherwise) seen someone so knowledgible share with such willingness the information at hand. Kudos to you sir and to your fine truck as well. You rock bud.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...