12" lift NEW pics

how does the steering work fer ya ,I havent had the best of luck finding an after market kit to realy suit my needs/ details would be asppreciated . also any one els have any coments on his setup pleas express ur self . by the way i like it looks good and to the point.

Not trying to ofend any one just looking fer some constructive help. Thanks jamminz.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d30 up front...8.8 w/locker in rear..It hasnt been driven on the road yet to be able to tell ya how the stearin works but it feels pretty tight..I am puttin in a advanced adapters SYE right now then i will put on new front shocks and a steerin stabalizer. And as far as an aftermarket kit...You aint gonna find one if you lift it over a certain point..Just put a CUSTOM (homeade) kit on it...Then its the way you want it anyway.. ;)

My comments are.. it looks great, but some of the fab work looks like it might cause an issue.

For the cross member call up Terra flex, and see if they would sell you the LCA mounts from their long arm kit. It is made out of 1/4 stuff and wraps around the frame, and connects to the x-member mount... has like 7 or 8 bolts holding each side on.

Your upper control arm mounts on your long arms look kinda scarey, Looks like it can cause you to bend your lowers (over compressing the suspension) or worse yet fail due to how tall they are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BE carefull on the street with that thing They way you mounted the longarms to the stock crossmember is not safe at all. If it is a trail only rig then more power to you have fun but don't endanger innocent people on the street with that kind of setup

Not much to show to date. In the process of removing the T-case to install a slip yoke eliminator. The towers arent too tall if they don't hit are they? And they aint gonna hit as the original mounts that drop off the uni have been removed. And as stated before the xmember mount will be reinforced. Once this sye is installed i should have some pics of this thing going thru the paint process.. :popcorn:

if you go to pirate4x4 you will see what is said about some of the ideas you are using. also a guy , no names, made a post about his jeep using same stock crossmember on another forum and was reamed worse than i have ever seen. that thing is very unsafe and i hope it never sees street action ever until some things are fixed. you obviously have impressive fab skills now do it right!

Hell...I think I am gonna go downtown and see if i can't go ahead and rent me a jail cell since I am obviously gonna kill every person on the streets of Georgia with this extremely unsafe vehicle. Only other option is to sell it to an engineer or carry to scrap yard. umn.gif

I wouldn't do that. So what if everyone else thinks its unsafe or doesn't like how you did it. You built it to suit your needs not theirs. My mj is in alot worse condition than yours safety wise and i drive it back and forth to work when i want to. Everyone has there own opinion on things. If it works for what you want then you have a very nice trail rig. If not then tear it apart and start over.

I agree. but you WILL run into problems with a weak crossmember...you hit a small incline fast enough and it's gonna tear your longarms right up.

I say drive it, figure out the kinks, and use your fab skills to upgrade your crossmember in the meantime. trust us, that crossmember is thin and not gonna hold the push of the entire front axle in the long run. for now, you're golden. just play nice

I think that the problem is not so much the xmember, but rather the four stock mounting points holding it to the frame.

First, they're not in a shear arrangement, just going through the bottom of the uniframe into some nutcerts. The sheetmetal just isn't strong enough there to take any kind of serious force, it was after all only meant to support the weight of the trans.

fix that, and some of the scary steering stuff and it would be nice.

Technically an MJ crossmember is held up by 8 bolts. :D Just another reason the MJ is better than an XJ.

When I built my custom crossmember, I was concerned about strength even with four 1/2" grade 8 bolts going through the frame. The "frame" is just sheetmetal after all. So later on I had it welded up. That's lasted fine so far (I tend to be a slow drivin' wheeler), but now I'm concerned about rust slowly eating away at my frame in that area. So the next stage is to weld up a crossbar to connect my crossmember to my rocker guards (that run through the frame). You can never have too much strength in the attachment point between the suspension and the body.

I'm going to have to side with the needs-more-support crowd, but it might be my cautious side talking there. It's not only your butt on the line if the suspension breaks and you have an accident on the street, but also those driving around you. And if you are the cause of the accident, you are the liable one. That's why I pretty much stopped driving my 88 on the street. At this point in time it's waaay stronger than factory, but it's not my opinion that matters after an accident. Just something to consider.

Oh, also, in Michigan it's a law that all suspension parts must have been built in a factory. Not sure what Georgia has in that regard.

Oh, also, in Michigan it's a law that all suspension parts must have been built in a factory. Not sure what Georgia has in that regard.

i doubt they'd ever figure it out.... well they might check around since his truck is ginormous. but seriously, they could probably care less

i live here and idc if you drive it. but it would suck to hit a speedhump and have your tranny and your front axle drop out :oops: that'd be embarassing

what color are you painting it/what area of GA are you in?

If you have any accident beyond a mild fender bender and it's against the law to have a homebrew suspension, they will likely look into it. :D If the cops don't, then the other guy's insurance will for sure.

I don't worry about getting pulled over, I worry about the impending lawsuit from the other guy and then my insurance company denying my claim due to the fact I never told them I've heavily modified my truck. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sure could use some door hinges if anybody has a couple sets. :popcorn:
Wish I would have known, I was about to cut the welds for the hinges on the XJ, but it was near my deadline, and I didnt think twice about it, so off to the yard they went with the XJ. If my buddy has not crushed it yet, I may be up there next week, or the week after with my sawzall to make the fastest work of them, when I drop off some more metal.

Speaking of sawzalls, mine came with 2 18v batteries (I do a good deal of field work, so cordless was essential) it's trusty, but 2 batteries run out too fast. I need more... Anyone know where to get the 18v +1 batteries by Ryboobi (Ryobi) cheaper than like near 28/battery?

I need at least 6 total batteries to have charged at any one time to make trips more worth while.

Maybe I should just save my cash, and get a generator for the MJ, so I can run power tools off it, and charge batteries in the field. Generator along side OBA would mean portable plasma cutter as well. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...