Ok guys, trying to mate an AX-15 from a '96 XJ to a '90 XJ 4.0.  As per write ups and answers from the internet and CC, I was told to get a pilot bushing from a '74 CJ with the 304 V8 5.0 as that would have the correct inner and outer diameters.  Perhaps I don't quite understand the workings of a manual, but as far as I know the pilot bushing slides over the input shaft of the transmission and also, the bushing is supposed to fit inside the opening of the crankshaft.  Correct?  Well anyway, the bushings I got from RockAuto fit over the transmission input shaft but does not fit inside of the crankshaft...  The part number I got is Dorman 690-042 and measures .756" ID x 1.056" OD (as stated on the box, actual measurements are .746" ID x 1.050" OD).  Did RockAuto send me the wrong thing or is there else wrong?

The pilot bearing will need to be drove in using a wooden dowel and a BFH. With it lined up perfectly and a little bit grease it should slide right in. Keep in mind this is a VERY precise fit, meaning that even a few thousandths off will make it impossible to get it to go into the crank, the same thing will happen if the bearing is miss aligned. I have no idea about the CJ pilot bearing, so i would wait to hear from a few other people. This is just a little info on installing pilot bearings. 

If i understand the procedure correctly, there is a pilot bearing that should have come with your clutch kit. It has roller pins and an o-ring inside it, and slides into the crankshaft. The pilot bushing goes on the input shaft of the tranny. So you should have 2 parts, the pilot bushing and bearing. 

Was there not a bearing on either cherokee when you removed the tranny?

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just how I've come to understand it. 

I'll be a little more specific, my 4.0 is from '90 XJ that was bolted to an AW4, so no previous pilot bushing.  My AX15 came from a '96 XJ, but I bought it off of a guy and it was already removed from the XJ.  Since I'm using a later model AX15 with a Renix era 4.0, research has led me to conclude the bit about the '74 CJ 304 V8 bushing.  The clutch kit I ordered (hasn't arrived yet) is the LuK kit for an external slaved AX15.  Now that I have been a little more clear... lol

So does the pilot bushing install like seen below?

154_0710_08_z%2Bpunchy_pilot%2Binstall_n

Also, do you use both a pilot bushing AND bearing or just one or the other?  I've very confused on this part.

Just the bushing. Do you have access to a set of dial calipers?

Measure the ID of the crank and the OD of the bushing.

They should be within a couple thousandths of each other.

There will be no bearing with this setup.

I have a caliper and I measured the bushings I received.  They measure .746" ID and 1.050" OD, just as was suggested that I need.  However, due to the strange angle, I am unable to measure the ID of the crankshaft hole (I already tried).  The 'fangs' of caliper just aren't long enough to reach down in the hole.

The old pilot in your 4.0 is two pieces...needle bearings and outer ring. You need to get both of those pieces out. It doesn't look like the outer ring is anything but machined into the crank, but trust me...it is not part of the crank.

As I stated above, the 4.0 I'm using was bolted to an automatic, so no previous bushing/bearing...

I did a similar swap going from a peugoat 5 speed to the ax15 (out of a 95 xj) I used a pb77hd bushing, I think that's the same as your dorman part, but you might want to check.....

Yes, RockAuto also listed that as compatible with the following information provided: NATIONAL Part # PB77HD Heavy Duty; Bore=0.751", Outer Diameter=1.056", Width=0.88"

As compared to the Dorman part I got, P/N 690-042: Inside Dia: 0.754"; Outside Dia.: 1.057"; Length: .877"

I know the measurements on the listing and on the box are probably slightly off, so I measured it with my caliper (as seen at the top of this post).

I put one of the bushings I have in my freezer (in hopes it might contract ever so slightly).  The inside of my crankshaft has a light amount of surface rust, so I'm going to wire wheel it clean.  I guess if I still can't get it in after that, I'll order this highly sought out PB77HD that everyone seems to have success with.

I went through a variation of this when I converted Maura's AX-15 to an external slave trans.  Go to the parts store with your calipers and ask them if you can look at a clutch kit for an internal slave AX-15 (e.g. 1990).  The kit comes with 2 pilot bearings as it fits both Renix & HO.  You can get the OD off the 2 piece Renix bearing and the ID off the HO bushing.  If I remember correctly the HO bushing was round numbers (0.75" ID, 1" OD).  You'll then need to find a bushing/bearing with the HO ID and the Renix OD. I think it's .75" ID and 1.063" OD but I'm quote that from memory...

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this last year on my 88 Comanche. I never could find the correct one. I finally found one close is size .750 or so ID and a something over 1 inch OD from Advance Adapters. Took it to a machine shop and had it sized to the OD of the original bearing. Bought 2, one for a spare but is now going into my 89XJ swap.

Having Sprint Internet problems.

Anyway I'm trying to find the Vendor and P/N for the bushing I used. It is .750 ID x 1 something OD. I had it turned down to 1.052 OD which is the size of the original bushing. This is for an 88-89 XJ,MJ as far as I know with a BA10. Maybe other years also. This is for the AX15 that has the .750 input shaft. If you have the small input shaft you can use the BA10 neddle bearing. The bushing was only $6-9 and the machine shop service was only $20 cash. I spent a long time trying to find something that worked and this was the only way for the older Jeeps.

FyI....If you replace your D35 with a C8.25 you will need the driveshaft. It is about 3/4/ to 1 inch shorter.

• 6 years later...
On 9/19/2013 at 7:18 PM, bpm4x4 said:

I did a similar swap going from a peugoat 5 speed to the ax15 (out of a 95 xj) I used a pb77hd bushing, I think that's the same as your dorman part, but you might want to check.....

What year was your Peugeot tranny? I have an 87 MJ 5 speed Peugeot and may be picking up a 95 XJ ax15 for it. Other than changing the pilot bearing, anything else I need to know?

20 minutes ago, ValpoManche said:

Whdetails was your Peugeot tranny? I have an 87 MJ 5 speed Peugeot and may be picking up a 95 XJ ax15 for it. Other than changing the pilot bearing, anything else I need to know?

the link In my signature has some threads that cover the detsils. :L:

13 minutes ago, ValpoManche said:

What year was your Peugeot tranny? I have an 87 MJ 5 speed Peugeot and may be picking up a 95 XJ ax15 for it. Other than changing the pilot bearing, anything else I need to know?

proper pilot bearing should be available from Advance Adapters about $40.00 if I remember right. If I were you get entire XJ so you have everything

1 hour ago, ValpoManche said:

Got your pencil ready?

Since the BA10 came with an internal slave cylinder and a 95 AX15 has an external slave cylinder, you will need to swap the hydraulic system to the external set up.

For the AX15, BE SURE to get the cross member and trans mounting bracket.  The old BA10 will not fit the AX15.

You should replace the whole clutch kit (disk and pressure plate).  When I did my swap, I read up on the steps and parts needed to do it.  Many of the threads "suggested" that the clutch systems will work with the internal slave BA10 and the external slave AX15.  It did work, but it never felt smooth to shift.  I did additional research and found that the pressure plates changed when the AX15s switched from  internal to external slaves.  (I used Rockauto to compare separate part numbers for a) clutch kits, b) clutch disks, and c) pressure plates across multiple years. The kits and pressure plates changed when the switch to ext. occurred.  The disks stayed the same for the life of the MJ/XL line.)

When you remove the two top bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine (E12), be sure to take them to a body of water and throw them as far as you can into the water.  Go and get yourself some hex head bolts to replace them.  

As stated above, the input shaft tip of the 95 AX15 is approx. 0.75", while your BA10 has tip of approx. 0.5".  Be sure to get the correct bushing/bearing.  For the later model AX15s, a proper fitting pilot bushing is Timken PB77HD, search under a 73 CJ5 304 ci

Good luck.  I love the AX15.