On 10/18/2019 at 10:32 PM, 87MJTIM said:

Got your pencil ready?

Since the BA10 came with an internal slave cylinder and a 95 AX15 has an external slave cylinder, you will need to swap the hydraulic system to the external set up.

For the AX15, BE SURE to get the cross member and trans mounting bracket.  The old BA10 will not fit the AX15.

You should replace the whole clutch kit (disk and pressure plate).  When I did my swap, I read up on the steps and parts needed to do it.  Many of the threads "suggested" that the clutch systems will work with the internal slave BA10 and the external slave AX15.  It did work, but it never felt smooth to shift.  I did additional research and found that the pressure plates changed when the AX15s switched from  internal to external slaves.  (I used Rockauto to compare separate part numbers for a) clutch kits, b) clutch disks, and c) pressure plates across multiple years. The kits and pressure plates changed when the switch to ext. occurred.  The disks stayed the same for the life of the MJ/XL line.)

When you remove the two top bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine (E12), be sure to take them to a body of water and throw them as far as you can into the water.  Go and get yourself some hex head bolts to replace them.  

As stated above, the input shaft tip of the 95 AX15 is approx. 0.75", while your BA10 has tip of approx. 0.5".  Be sure to get the correct bushing/bearing.  For the later model AX15s, a proper fitting pilot bushing is Timken PB77HD, search under a 73 CJ5 304 ci

Good luck.  I love the AX15.

Thank for for this info! Very helpful! 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:32 PM, 87MJTIM said:

Got your pencil ready?

Since the BA10 came with an internal slave cylinder and a 95 AX15 has an external slave cylinder, you will need to swap the hydraulic system to the external set up.

For the AX15, BE SURE to get the cross member and trans mounting bracket.  The old BA10 will not fit the AX15.

You should replace the whole clutch kit (disk and pressure plate).  When I did my swap, I read up on the steps and parts needed to do it.  Many of the threads "suggested" that the clutch systems will work with the internal slave BA10 and the external slave AX15.  It did work, but it never felt smooth to shift.  I did additional research and found that the pressure plates changed when the AX15s switched from  internal to external slaves.  (I used Rockauto to compare separate part numbers for a) clutch kits, b) clutch disks, and c) pressure plates across multiple years. The kits and pressure plates changed when the switch to ext. occurred.  The disks stayed the same for the life of the MJ/XL line.)

When you remove the two top bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine (E12), be sure to take them to a body of water and throw them as far as you can into the water.  Go and get yourself some hex head bolts to replace them.  

As stated above, the input shaft tip of the 95 AX15 is approx. 0.75", while your BA10 has tip of approx. 0.5".  Be sure to get the correct bushing/bearing.  For the later model AX15s, a proper fitting pilot bushing is Timken PB77HD, search under a 73 CJ5 304 ci

Good luck.  I love the AX15.

97MJTIM

Do I only need to pilot bushing from the 73 CJ, or do I also need the pilot bearing? They are two different parts. Thus, do I need to replace both the Bushing and the Bearing? Thank you for the detailed write up. Hopes this posts as I don’t think my prior response did. 

4 minutes ago, ValpoManche said:

97MJTIM

Do I only need to pilot bushing from the 73 CJ, or do I also need the pilot bearing? They are two different parts. Thus, do I need to replace both the Bushing and the Bearing? Thank you for the detailed write up. Hopes this posts as I don’t think my prior response did. 

Bushings and bearings are interchangeable.  

The reason for the 73 CJ5 with a 304 ci engine is the outer diameter of the bushing will fit in the engine crank hole and the inner diameter will accept the input shaft tip.