Side Triangle Vent Window Leak

The pivoting vent windows are notorious for allowing water in. You can seal them up with silicone and don't open them or you can buy a new weatherstripping gasket for each window from TeamCherokee. You can also swap in fixed windows with good seals from a JY. I did that on one of my former trucks and never had another leak.

They ALL leaked -- right from the factory. I bought my '88 XJ new, and the operable vents were an extra-cost option that I paid to get. They leaked right from the day of delivery. The factory had a cure -- they offered to replace the operable windows that I had paid extra for with the standard, non-operable windows. (Naturally, they weren't going to refund the cost of the option from my purchase price.)

If you plan to use the vents, plan on their leaking. There is NO way to stop it. I sealed the ones on my XJ with silicone and I haven't opened them for more than 20 years. Fortunately, none of my MJs have operable vents.

They ALL leaked -- right from the factory. I bought my '88 XJ new, and the operable vents were an extra-cost option that I paid to get. They leaked right from the day of delivery. The factory had a cure -- they offered to replace the operable windows that I had paid extra for with the standard, non-operable windows. (Naturally, they weren't going to refund the cost of the option from my purchase price.)

If you plan to use the vents, plan on their leaking. There is NO way to stop it. I sealed the ones on my XJ with silicone and I haven't opened them for more than 20 years. Fortunately, none of my MJs have operable vents.

True story. There's a TSB covering this.

The vent windows on my dad's Chevy van don't seem to leak, but they obviously don't seal well as they whistle going down the highway. Jamming something under the latch solves the issue. Never tried coins, only ever used softer things like folded paper or cardboard.

I'd also point out that Canadian coins are slightly thicker than their US counterparts. A Canadian nickel may be worth more, but it'll seal better, too. ;)

• 1 year later...

My .02 cents on this subject. I'm not saying either side of the argument is correct, but both have their merits. As for these things always leaking, I've personally ridden in many XJ's with operable vent windows that didn't leak a single drop, or have any sort of whistling coming from improper sealing.

Yes, there was a TSB back in 1990 on this, June 26, to be exact.

June 26, 1990

XJ - CHEROKEE/WAGONEER MJ - COMANCHE

SYMPTOM/CONDITION

Some of the subject vehicles may have opening vent windows with persistent water leaks. If attempts to seal the leak and/or replacing the vent window assembly does not stop the leak, consult the owner about replacing the opening vent windows with stationary window assemblies. The stationary windows are a direct replacement for the opening vent windows and when replaced, must be replaced in pairs.

PARTS REQUIRED1         Assembly, Rt. Window                   PN 550023461         Assembly, Lt. Window                   PN 55002347

My problem with the argument of "just throw a set of stationary corner windows on it and don't look back" is bollocks. If that were the case, then there wouldn't be replacement gaskets for these things in the first place. Not to mention if you own a set that's fully functional, and not rusted out, why would you just junk it when you could still use it? If it wasn't sealed right to begin with in the first place, then of course it's going to leak. I've seen a lot of under-engineered design traits on older cars, and there's a remedy for fixing them. It just takes a little more effort than most people are willing to put forth.

Rant over. :no:

Also, OP, here's something useful. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-door-parts/cherokee-xj-weatherstrips.htm

And yes, old thread is old. But the point still stands.

My problem with the argument of "just throw a set of stationary corner windows on it and don't look back" is bollocks. If that were the case, then there wouldn't be replacement gaskets for these things in the first place. Not to mention if you own a set that's fully functional, and not rusted out, why would you just junk it when you could still use it? If it wasn't sealed right to begin with in the first place, then of course it's going to leak. I've seen a lot of under-engineered design traits on older cars, and there's a remedy for fixing them. It just takes a little more effort than most people are willing to put forth.

Bollocks is right. In 1988, the operable wing vents were an extra-cost option on the Pioneer trim level. By offering to replace my operable (but leaky) vents with the fixed ones, Jeep was asking me to throw away the money I paid to get operable vents. And they weren't willing to refund the money I paid to get the defective vent windows.

As for sealing them by adjusting something -- you can't. The problem is that the metal surround on the glass doesn't run all the way around the perimeter. Where the metal ends, there's a pronounced, sharp step. The molded rubber seals don't step that sharply, the transition is more rounded. This leaves a small gap that invites water to come in. It's just a bad design, and it's difficult to correct a bad design by adjusting parts that simply don't fit together.

I "fixed" it by sealing the vents with silicone. That essentially transformed them into fixed windows, and in fact I haven't used them in twenty-plus years. But -- I can open them if I want or need to.

When my order was in back in ought 87,  way back when...the dealer told me that the vent windows were holding delivery up.  I figured Chrysler was just screwing up the assembly line.  What I eventually got has never leaked, whistled, etc. etc. so I really can't believe what has been said about post Chrysler vent windows. 

When my order was in back in ought 87,  way back when...the dealer told me that the vent windows were holding delivery up.  I figured Chrysler was just screwing up the assembly line.  What I eventually got has never leaked, whistled, etc. etc. so I really can't believe what has been said about post Chrysler vent windows.

My leaky vents are pre-Chrysler. My original Cherokee is AMC all the way.

Same with my post-Chrysler 91. No leaks, whistles, etc. etc. etc. ever.

• 1 month later...

Hey, the nickel actually works. Best of all, it only costs 5 cents, unless it's a Canadian nickel, then it's worth more.

Nickel and a guitar pick worked like a charm for me!

My Jazz III's are a quarter a piece! Too expensive to stack in my windows. lol

• 4 years later...

Mine cost 15 cents per side. It doesn’t rain enough around here to worry about it leaking. But the wind noise will drive you nuts. I need to replace all the weatherstripping in it all of it all around the roll up windows is shot. 

So much road noise you don’t even try to listen to the radio. 

23 minutes ago, ghendel said:

Has anyone changed out the fixed windows for a vent that opens? I have no AC and it would be nice to get some air in my face on hot days 

they swap right in.  but they are prone to leaks (both water and wind) so be careful of the ones you buy. :L: